Skip to content

Future npcs

Some of the npcs in BG2 already broke the rules on racial class restrictions, so I'd personally like to see a halforc avenger or totemic druid, and a halfling jester.

What about you, what kind of npcs would you prefer to see added, if we're lucky enough to get a few more later on?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I think there's tons of great options whether or not they stick to the racial restrictions. There's a shortage of representation for the smaller races though, isn't there? So that might a place to start. The idea of a Halfling Jester sounds as amusing as annoying, heh.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2012
    Tome said:

I'd like to see a 15 year old female Paladin who speaks in Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe and suffers from obsession issues. She is also a romance option.

Yup.

It's good, but it's missing something. She needs to be chosen by a god, have the ability to die from heartbreak, or leave you if you don't take a new super-cheesy path to Spellhold... oh and you can't romance her with less than 16 natural CHR. I think we have GOLD!

@Aegir_Fellwood The only NPC that really 'broke the rules' was Aerie. Elfin Cleric/Mages don't exist, but then again players can't roll Avariel. Haer'Dalis doesn't count because he's a Tiefling. Everyone else is a legal class combo.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Dazzu said:

Tome said:

I'd like to see a 15 year old female Paladin who speaks in Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe and suffers from obsession issues. She is also a romance option.

Yup.

It's good, but it's missing something. She needs to be chosen by a god, have the ability to die from heartbreak, or leave you if you don't take a new super-cheesy path to Spellhold... oh and you can't romance her with less than 16 natural CHR. I think we have GOLD!

@Aegir_Fellwood The only NPC that really 'broke the rules' was Aerie. Elfin Cleric/Mages don't exist, but then again players can't roll Avariel. Haer'Dalis doesn't count because he's a Tiefling. Everyone else is a legal class combo.
    True but Minsc is still an illegal ranger since his wisdom is so low.
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    edited December 2012
    Also, Anomen dual-classed illegally. He doesn't have the necessary Wisdom score to become a Cleric even after he passes his test.
    edited December 2012
    Technically even the proganist can become an "illegal character" during BGII since you at one point have to sacrifice a stat point to advance, much to my great annoyance. If you're only at the bare minimum of a class prerequisite stat and sacrifice that one then vòila! You have just become a Minsc!

Staying on topic though, I've given it some thought! Wouldn't mind another Mage/Cleric multi-class companion. No idea which races can be that one. Always liked the idea of that class combo, gives access to pretty much every spell in the game. Versatility, woo! \o/ Could be a Mystra-worshipper or something.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Tome said:

Yup.

I actually thought that mod was quite good. A good-aligned option to get to Spellhold, some cool new quests, getting to visit Sigil... Plus, I was like 16 when it was released, so the romance path wasn't weird for me =D

But yeah, looking back, that was quite wrong. Though I would be fine seeing it re-done with Saerileth being, like, 20.

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited December 2012
    I'd like to create a party that is entirely made up of evil and/or neutral aligned Drow. It would also be interesting to have NPCs from other Underdark races, such as the Duergar or the Illithid.

I also think it would be fun to have a party where all or most of the NPCs are other Bhaalspawn.

BGII mostly need more evil characters.

A NE human cleric / rogue. He will be a priest of Mask. And a romance option for female characters (apart from Dorn and Anoman).

A NE half drow Shadow Druid (which will also be a new kit for druids).

A CE half orc female Sorcerer.

Definitely need more evil characters, and I like your ideas, particularly the Priest of Mask.

Not sure if the Shadow Druid would work, though. Shadow Druids already exist in BG (Faldorn is one, right?), and they're neutral, just with more vengeance-oriented goals. You can make a shadow-druid in BG2, but I making an evil druid might not work under the rules and the bindings of Beamdog's contract. Plus, we already have a pureclass druid in Cernd.

How about a half-drow fighter/mage? It would make more sense given their race, and fighter/mages aren't represented at all in BG2 currently.

• NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Madhax said:

BGII mostly need more evil characters.

A NE human cleric / rogue. He will be a priest of Mask. And a romance option for female characters (apart from Dorn and Anoman).

A NE half drow Shadow Druid (which will also be a new kit for druids).

A CE half orc female Sorcerer.

Definitely need more evil characters, and I like your ideas, particularly the Priest of Mask.

Not sure if the Shadow Druid would work, though. Shadow Druids already exist in BG (Faldorn is one, right?), and they're neutral, just with more vengeance-oriented goals. You can make a shadow-druid in BG2, but I making an evil druid might not work under the rules and the bindings of Beamdog's contract. Plus, we already have a pureclass druid in Cernd.

How about a half-drow fighter/mage? It would make more sense given their race, and fighter/mages aren't represented at all in BG2 currently.

Yeah agree. Though I realized sense they made Blackguard they can also make Shadow Druids without breaking the rules.

Fighter mage can be really awesome for evil group. Maybe he will even start with his own unique weapon and armor / robes.

Also an evil party on BGII will need more fighter types. Good party have: Minc, Keldorn, Valygar, Mazzy, and you can even add Jaheira.

Right now evil party will only have Dorn, Korgan, and on ToB Sarevok. So our fighter mage is a good addition, though I think we should have even another evil fighter. Maybe a barbarian.
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    Madhax said:

Tome said:

Yup.

I actually thought that mod was quite good. A good-aligned option to get to Spellhold, some cool new quests, getting to visit Sigil... Plus, I was like 16 when it was released, so the romance path wasn't weird for me =D

But yeah, looking back, that was quite wrong. Though I would be fine seeing it re-done with Saerileth being, like, 20.

What mod is this?
    tyl998 said:

Madhax said:

Tome said:

Yup.

What mod is this?
    The mod was called Saerileth, though I may be spelling the name incorrectly. Added in a 15-ish female paladin that is totally all over a male Charname's balls, much to the discomfort of some people who played it. I thoroughly enjoyed the added content, though, which included the above and more.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    @Madhax: it was probably made by a 15 year old. Or a pedophile. Either way, character age is just a number in a game like BG, and easy enough to alter with Shadowkeeper. Doesn't really sound like much of an issue.

As for what I want to see in BG2EE... mainly I just want the new NPCs to have the same amount (or MORE) content as the average party member in BG2. If it's just the same amount of new dialog and areas as BGEE, it won't really be worth it to use the new party members at all. A lot more banter, too, of course.

As far as particular kits are concerned.... well, I would like to see a Barbarian. And maybe a Kensai? I've always heard good things about Kensai and Monks, but I can never stand to roll as anything but Mage/Sorcerer. In terms of alignment, I say just keep whatever new NPCs there are neutral so they can fit into good or evil aligned parties. And maybe give them the option of shifting alignment to good or evil depending on the party's actions.

And maybe give them the option of shifting alignment to good or evil depending on the party's actions.

That's a nice idea. There are a couple alignment changes in BGII allready (though I think the Fighter/Cleric is an entirely different character come to think of it?) so there is a precedent for it.
    edited December 2012
    @Arsene_Lupin : Nah, the creator was adult and female, and I'm pretty sure she did the voice for the NPC. She used to post on a forum I was active on back in the day. The age of the NPC sticks with people because Saerileth had an astounding amount of voiced dialogue and banter, and much of what she talked about concerned her past. It was played straight and wouldn't have been weird within Forgotten Realms society, it just got awkward if you thought too much about it in terms of reality.

To your point of wanting new NPCs to have much more content, I'm quick to defend Saerileth because that mod added probably three times as much content as Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad combined. Seriously, it was enormous. That's the sort of new NPC I want to see.

Adding a barbarian NPC would be hard to do... we've already got Dorn as our half-orc, and not many other races make sense. It would have to be a radically displaced human from Icewind Dale, and then the comparisons to Wulfgar would be too obvious. And I'd picture a dwarf as being a berserker more than a barbarian. Maybe a Wild Elf?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Dwarf monk.

LOL right
    edited December 2012

Dwarf monk.

LOL right

Well, both the Neverwinter Nights games tried that... no idea if it worked though. Didn't ever recruit the grump in the first one and kept the guy a fighter in the second :)
    GoodSteve said:

Halfling Barbarian. I'm totally serious.

He can be Ghostwise halfling.

Also not all of the Uthgar barbarians are from that far from the north.

Or he can be a dark skinned barbarian from Chult, a warrior of Ubtao.
    GoodSteve said:

Halfling Barbarian. I'm totally serious.

Isn't there a subrace of halfling that favor barbarians? I think I recall that from IWD2. So that would work better than most other race combos...

There's also a notorious lack of thieves in BG2, and while a cleric of mask/thief multi helps satisfy the gap, I'd still like to see an NPC thief in the BG series that's actually intended to backstab. It seems that most thieves I group with, and certainly the ones in BG2, are more ranged-oriented. An evil assassin NPC would be cool.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Though I know it's impossible, I was playing some of the new content and thought that a Goblin thief and HobGoblin archer would make fun npc's.
    The only pure rogue is Yoshimo, and he doesn't last for long. So yeah, I really think a pure rogue will be a good idea.

Maybe an evil Swashbukler who worked for the Black Talon merceneries and fled to join the Shadow Thieves when things got bad with his employers. Or even Husam himself, which helps you out in BG1 and tells you that he is a Shadow Thief. So he can be a joinable NPC in BG2.
    Madhax said:

I'd still like to see an NPC thief in the BG series that's actually intended to backstab. It seems that most thieves I group with, and certainly the ones in BG2, are more ranged-oriented. An evil assassin NPC would be cool.

It would indeed be cool. I'm quite a fan of assassins myself too. BGII sorely needs a thiefy thief though and assassins do have that gimped 15 points per level thing. Guess it depends at what level we'd get said assassin though. There's certainly enough skill points to go around that you could have a couple skills at 100 on level 8 (minimum BGII level I think?) but the rest of the skills would suffer for quite a few levels.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    We don't need more evil frontliners, for a start. Korgan, Sarevok and (from what I hear) Dorn outclass pretty much every other fighter, so the evil fighter frontier has been confidently covered.
    An evil thief is a necessity, no doubt. These would be my interests:

a LE/NE Thief (probably Assassin?) -male
    a LG Dwarf Cleric -male
    or
    a LN Dwarf Mage (probably Transmuter) -male
    a CN Thief (dualled from a low level mage, or pure class) -male
    a TN/CG Human Bard -female
    a CG Elf -either

The only pure rogue is Yoshimo, and he doesn't last for long. So yeah, I really think a pure rogue will be a good idea.

Maybe an evil Swashbukler who worked for the Black Talon merceneries and fled to join the Shadow Thieves when things got bad with his employers. Or even Husam himself, which helps you out in BG1 and tells you that he is a Shadow Thief. So he can be a joinable NPC in BG2.

If Husam is the guy I'm thinking of, I'd have to kill him myself to shut up that chatter. It's funny initially, but wears thin fast. It would be like hanging out with Brad Pitt in character for Snatch all day.

• revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    My Wish List:
    A pure class (or kitted) permanent thief in BG2:EE, and as a few have said, more evil PC's overall.

An Elven fighter/mage would be awesome, as would a Sorcerer or Barbarian NPC.

A Dwarf who is not a Fighter would be cool.

Maybe a LE Monk with some sort of new kit? Monk Kits in general would be welcome.
    Ether way a new evil NPC should be more civilized IMO. Edwin, Korgan, Dorn are all brutes in a way. I think we need a more charming evil dude (again picturing this cleric / thief of Mask). He should be charming, civilized and well mannered but also cold hearted and colculated. It will be a refreshing change from all the "WWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!" and condescending behavior of Vici and Edwin.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Madhax said:

If Husam is the guy I'm thinking of, I'd have to kill him myself to shut up that chatter. It's funny initially, but wears thin fast. It would be like hanging out with Brad Pitt in character for Snatch all day.

I do believe you're thinking of Narlen Darkwalk. He's the guy who gives you the two "bonus" missions in the thieve's guild. He talks in "Thieve's Cant" which I suppose is akin to the "Pikey" lingo Brad Pitt was using in Snatch.

As for Husam, I don't recall him ever having any ties to the shadow thieves. I know he was a member of the baldur's gate thieve's guild and a former employee with the Iron Throne though... maybe I'm mistaken?