Skip to content

getting info about items and skills.

Hi, just got Baldur's Gate for the iPad and I have to say I'm not a fan of the "touch and hold" mechanic for getting information about items and skills. It's really easy to accidentally use a potion when you just intend to get info about it. And I'm still not sure how to get a full info page about special skills, if there even is one. I'm aware you can use "help" to get a short description but is there a full page like the ones that show up if you touch and hold spells?
I think an "info" button which would have the same function as tap+hold if you pressed it first would be very useful.

Comments

• jedolleyjedolley Member Posts: 9
    I don't have an answer for an in-game solution, but you can use Safari to save the manuals to iBooks.
  • ScottYelichScottYelich Member Posts: 6
    Uh? What manuals? I'm trying to figure out the interface by randomly tapping on things... like what's the face/face, sword and X when party selected? I guess the single sword is for attack, but what are the rest? Where can I select AI per character -- ie: why do my idiots just stand there when they're being attacked?
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    You ought to at least skim the manuals though. All the info is there.. :)

Face to face button is "forced conversation, Sword is Attack.
    The X I can't remember, defend maybe!
    I always fight using individual characters..
  • raquoraquo Member Posts: 22
    where are the manuals for the Ipad version?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I never use the AI. Just select each character individually and tell them what to do.

But first, go into options - gameplay - autopause and set some autopause conditions like enemy sighted, spell cast, target destroyed... as many as you want (I use all except character attacked, its sort of redundant with enemy sighted). This way the game will wait for you at every decision point in battle. It also plays a little more like PNP D&D.
    Delvarian
  • jedolleyjedolley Member Posts: 9
    There isn't that much difference between the iPad and PC version and page 76 of the manual covers the controls. As for any info in regards to the game it should be the same as the PC.

http://www.baldursgate.com/manuals.en.html

As for getting the manuals on your iPad... Just go to the link above in the Safari browser. Click on one of the links for the manual which will open the manual in Safari. Since this is a .PDF file you should now have a translucent bar at the top of the page with an option to "Open in iBooks".
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    If you're having trouble with people just standing there it might be a good idea to check their scripts. Click on customize on the character sheet (the head-icon).

For what it's worth I think the x-icon means "stop".
  • ScottYelichScottYelich Member Posts: 6
    thanks! and, yes, I do individual commands... due to the ipad targetting, I do try to stay zoomed in all the way, but I just remember my guys auto-firing at the slightest visible red circle back in the day ... I'll check the AI and see if I can find that option again.
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    The 'X' will make your party stand there and do nothing. :-) It cancels all commands for the selected characters.
  • JensenJensen Member Posts: 2
    When I am in the main gameplay screen is there any way to "get info" on an item or spell? Tapping and holding for info only seems to work (and frustratingly sporadically) when I am in the inventory or spell book screens.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    No. There's no way now.
    It's something that will need a patch, if it's something not hard coded.