Skip to content

400 fixes, Minsc is still a Ranger.

I just need to rage a little bit. Minsc was a ranger in BG because the rules used didn't have a Berserker kit.

Somebody must have thought of overhauling his original kit, is there any particular reason he was kept as is? With the BG2 rules he's just plain goofy, not to mention that his extremely low mental stats kind of make his saving throws suck, with or without his shoehorned rage skill.

Dorn outclasses the guy in every way, shape, and form, and I'm even starting to realize just how much better Khalid is(was).

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    Contract limitations.

I agree with you 100% that Minsc is a Berserker/Barbarian not a Ranger, but the contract they agreed to while making BG:EE stated they could not change the characters at all. The only exceptions:

* Proficiency points, since the BG1 and BGII prof system is entirely different.
    * Thieving skills, since the BG1 and BGII Thieving Point system is entirely different.
    * Quayle's Dexterity fixed from 15, changed to 16. (Obvious oversight)

Everything else has stayed exactly the same.

-----

Also, mental stats have zero effect on saving throws in 2nd Edition D&D. You are thinking of 3rd Edition. The only stat modifier to saving throws is Constitution based if you are a Dwarf (Death, Wands, Spells), Halfling (Death, Wands, Spells), or Gnome (Wands, Spells).
  • RaklinRaklin Member Posts: 13
    And I suppose, because he has beserk, that Safana should be an enchantress, because she has charm, and Quayle should be - wait, fuck, bad example.

Anyways, Khalid is the worst NPC - I'd rather him somewhere between a noblewoman and a commoner in green.
    edited December 2012
    Raklin said:

And I suppose, because he has beserk, that Safana should be an enchantress, because she has charm, and Quayle should be - wait, fuck, bad example.

Anyways, Khalid is the worst NPC - I'd rather him somewhere between a noblewoman and a commoner in green.

OP: *Asks legitimate question*
    @Raklin: *Disagree. Disagree. Does not even attempt to answer question*

You're off to a great start, bud.
  • GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Quartz said:

Contract limitations.

Also, mental stats have zero effect on saving throws in 2nd Edition D&D. You are thinking of 3rd Edition. The only stat modifier to saving throws is Constitution based if you are a Dwarf (Death, Wands, Spells), Halfling (Death, Wands, Spells), or Gnome (Wands, Spells).

It's a pretty strange contract limitation. They added dialog for Viconia in some minor quests, I figured the rights holders would be more protective of things like character dialog than anything, but I guess I can't argue.

Also, I could have sworn that the older IE games had wis and int checks for certain spells and effects, but I didn't even bother with the manual so I'm probably wrong. Still, I hadn't seen a single confusion spell that Minsc had a successful save in.
  • DeviijaDeviija Member Posts: 37
    Pretty much what @Quartz explained. Also, beside that, Minsc for better or worse is forever tied to Ranger. He has voiced lines and sundry that touch upon his being a Ranger and Rangerness. Thinly veiled or cosmetic as it may seem, it wouldn't make sense if changed this late in the series, I think.
    edited December 2012
    Gennadios said:

It's a pretty strange contract limitation. They added dialog for Viconia in some minor quests, I figured the rights holders would be more protective of things like character dialog than anything, but I guess I can't argue.

Also, I could have sworn that the older IE games had wis and int checks for certain spells and effects, but I didn't even bother with the manual so I'm probably wrong. Still, I hadn't seen a single confusion spell that Minsc had a successful save in.

@Gennadios Yeah, it is definitely a picky contract. They were allowed to add new dialog to old characters in NEW areas/with NEW characters but nothing else. Only very minor edits for grammatical/spelling fixes.

Haha, it's okay, do yourself a favor and *don't* bother with the manual, it's riddled with errors, mistakes, and all manner of things they never actually implemented.
    Deviija said:

Pretty much what @Quartz explained. Also, beside that, Minsc for better or worse is forever tied to Ranger. He has voiced lines and sundry that touch upon his being a Ranger and Rangerness. Thinly veiled or cosmetic as it may seem, it wouldn't make sense if changed this late in the series, I think.

Yeah, that's very true. "Hamsters and rangers everywhere rejoice!" etc.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I think the confusion save is unlucky, I also thought that Mental stats affecting saves was only in later editions. Also, the minor dialogue that they added (from what I have seen) is very appropriate to the character in question and doesn't change the characters.
    Example:
    I join up with Rasaad with Khalid in party. Khalid has a quick side mention that he will enjoy being in a party with a fellow Callishite.

While that does change Khalid's dialogue from the original, it is only adding something that he would most likely say had Rasaad been there (and it is a rather appropriate thing for Khalid to say).

I do agree that it is frustrating that Minsc is a Ranger and not a Berserker, but Berserker did not exist as a kit when BG1 came out, and the 'hamster' thing emphasized Ranger.
    @Nukenin I really angrily, passionately disagree with everything you have to say. I would offer a rebuttal, but CONTRACT LIMITATIONS.

(I'm kidding about angrily disagreeing, of course)
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    Gennadios said:

I just need to rage a little bit. Minsc was a ranger in BG because the rules used didn't have a Berserker kit.

its better to let him a ranger, beacause many people didnt want to change the original contant. But im sure that NPC classes change will comming soon throught a mod.

• NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    You realize somewhere there is someone right now whose right eye is twitching ever so slightly because they up and changed Quayle's dexterity.

Someone besides me, that is.

If they changed Quayle's proficiency away from maces, I'm done. I'm out of here. Last straw!

*smoke curling from forehead*

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Gennadios said:

Incorrect! He is a Rashemen Ranger, and all Rashemi rangers are berzerkers (FOR10 Warriors and Priests of the Realms) states this clearly enough.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    You mean soon Minsc wont have to be a ranger anymore?

You hear that Minsc? RANGERS AND HAMSTERS EVERYWHERE, REJOICE!

I actually don't mind him as a Ranger. I feel barbarian/berserker would have been a better fit (what with him coming from a Berserker Lodge back in Rasheman and all) but they didn't exist at the time. To change him now wouldn't sit well with many folks. I know I wont be actively searching for a way to change his class.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Khalid's not fit to lick the Xvart dung from Kagain's boot heel.
  • azerejazerej Member Posts: 8
    Quartz said:

Hi, was curious with this line here. Could they at least change Minsc's proficiency points since, to me, it's such a waste that he has two points in two-weapon style and yet he also has two points in two-handed sword? At least they could set two points on his proficiency in maces.

• NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Gorion would be proud!

I like Khalid, but I don't like that I can't do anything about his fate. Stupid Irenicus. If I'd had my druthers, we'd all be fishing up knucklehead trout off Lac Dinneshere after doing whatever it is we do in Baldur's Gate to game the end. (Hey, I only finished once, I can't remember what happened!)

Dual-class everyone to scrimshaw artists, that's the proper way to end the game.

Harumph.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Azerej

Short answer: no

Long answer: Those points weren't put there to suggest you should dual-wield with them. All rangers and their subkits gain 2 points in two-weapon fighting for free. If you were to ignore those points and count the rest of his proficiency points and compare them to other warrior classes of his level (Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian, Blackguard) you'll see they're equal. That just happens to be a bonus that Rangers get.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited December 2012
    azerej said:

Quartz said:

Hi, was curious with this line here. Could they at least change Minsc's proficiency points since, to me, it's such a waste that he has two points in two-weapon style and yet he also has two points in two-handed sword? At least they could set two points on his proficiency in maces.

The two points in Two-Weapon style every ranger gets for free. None of his actual free choice slots were spent on it. Removing the points wouldn't give him two free points to spend elsewhere in other words.

edit: unless you meant spending his sword points on maces. I think moving him off two handers would cause more outcry than any other change they could make on him...short of removing Boo. But he'll eventually (by BG2 at least) get enough free slots to learn that too.
    azerej said:

Quartz said:

His choice weapon is two-handed swords. The 2 pips in dual-wield style are free that every ranger gets at level 1, that's why he has them even if he does not use them.

@Azerej

Short answer: no

Long answer: Those points weren't put there to suggest you should dual-wield with them. All rangers and their subkits gain 2 points in two-weapon fighting for free. If you were to ignore those points and count the rest of his proficiency points and compare them to other warrior classes of his level (Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian, Blackguard) you'll see they're equal. That just happens to be a bonus that Rangers get.

Okay. Didn't know rangers get two-weapon fighting for free.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    No worries @Azerej I'm actually quite used to answering both these questions related to Minsc at this point. I answer them about once a week. Besides most people don't realize that rangers get those free points anyway. I only know cause my first characters in BG2 were rangers.
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    I swapped Khalid for Ajantis as my frontline warrior and really regret it. I'm sticking it out because I havn't used him before.
  • GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 7
    @Dragonspear

Those were some good points. I've spent so much time on streamlined combat systems that I kind of forgot that there was a time when people would create intentionally flawed characters for the added challenge.

Oh well, it's nice to have two free slots to rotate my party a bit.

I swapped Khalid for Ajantis as my frontline warrior and really regret it. I'm sticking it out because I havn't used him before.

I am doing the same thing (When I find him) for the same reason, and also I want to replace Jaheira with Yeslick to try him out too.
    @Dragonspear

Thanks for the info. Sometimes I just can't help the min-max person in me. I just thought it odd how the skill proficiency of Minsc is laid out.

"2 points in two-handed swords, 2 points in two-weapon style? This must be an oversight!"
  • DeadstarDeadstar Member Posts: 20
    Gennadios said:

Somebody must have thought of overhauling his original kit, is there any particular reason he was kept as is? With the BG2 rules he's just plain goofy, not to mention that his extremely low mental stats kind of make his saving throws suck, with or without his shoehorned rage skill.

Dorn outclasses the guy in every way, shape, and form, and I'm even starting to realize just how much better Khalid is(was).

I completely agree and I just used Shadowkeeper to fix it. It is really dumb that they wouldn't change him to what he is in BG2 because in BG1 he is almost completely useless and not even as entertaining as in BG2. A ranger? Really?
  • sterriussterrius Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2012
    " Also, mental stats have zero effect on saving throws in 2nd Edition D&D. You are thinking of 3rd Edition. The only stat modifier to saving throws is Constitution based if you are a Dwarf (Death, Wands, Spells), Halfling (Death, Wands, Spells), or Gnome (Wands, Spells). "

Wisdow give more defensive bonus against Mental Spells in the AD&D rulebook. Also Dex give a help in reflex saves. (Wands , fireballs etc). In the rulebook of course. (I play AD&D pen and paper even today).

BG II is very close to AD&D rules but it have some changes.

Too bad they never implemented a minions and skill points system! Where Int and Cha would be much more important even to warriors.

• DeadstarDeadstar Member Posts: 20
    I agree @sterrius, I also wish they would have implemented non-weapon proficiencies. Some of them are crucial, like Blind Fighting or Endurance. I always thought it was strange that they were left out.
    Deadstar said:

Gennadios said:

A ranger? Really?
    Yes! Minsc is a Rashemen Ranger, and all Rashemi rangers are berzerkers! just as (FOR10 Warriors and Priests of the Realms) states!