Skip to content

best cavalier weapon ?

Which one is the best ?

bonus: where i find the boots of cheese?

Comments

• PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    For BG2 I'd say that would be Carsomyr, which is a greatsword.

Boots of Cheese are found in the bandit camp right before you enter the Cloakwood Mines. You'll loot them off the dead.
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    Yeah, for BG2, but in BG1 ?

thanks for the info about the boots
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Probably the spider's bane sword, for the free move. And axes for a ranged option.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Varscona.

I like my Cavalier to be a sword and board kinda guy.
  • simplewanderersimplewanderer Member Posts: 31
    Cavailers can't use ranged weapons - Spiders Bane is prob best until you need to kill wolfweres
    Thanks.. just roled one, my kensai dude got just too odd so i started again.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    @simplewanderer, they can use thrown weapons that are covered in a melee weapon proficiency, I.e. axes and daggers. There are a couple good throwing axes in this game, like the +2 returning axe.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    The best would probably be Drizzt's scimitars, but you'd have to murder him for it.

Other than that, I remember always using:

*Spiderbane: +2 greatsword with Freedom of Movement (found in a cave in the cloakwood forest).
    *+2 Longsword with bonus frost damage (found on a bounty hunter in Nashkel Mines exterior).

Here's a list of every weapon in BG1 (excluding what may have been created for the Enhanced Edition).

http://www.mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/melee.html
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    I'm currently using Varscona (Longsword +2) with a Large Shield +1. Probably will give Minsc the Spider's Bane. Both are good weapons for a BG1 paladin, but I'm sure there are others aswell :)

There should be a Flametongue in Durlag's Keep but it's late in the game. With BGEE there also came a good Longsword+1 (+3 vs undead) early on, that's also nice for an Undead Hunter I'd say... :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The stupefier (+1 mace with 25% chance to stun for 4 rounds with no save) is my new favourite weapon in game.
    Wow, thats some weapon!!!
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I like the Albruin +1 and a shield for my Cavalier. I want mine to be a tank, so I want a shield. And I always have the notion that a Paladin should have a large weapon, and a bastard sword is a heavier weapon than longsword. Plus you get protection from poison and detect illusion, which fit well with a Cavalier.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    When I rolled a Cavalier in BG Tutu he had ** in 2h Swords, 2h Weapon Style, Sword and Shield Style, and Axes.

In BG2 I stared working on Longswords to help me kill the guy that holds the holy 2h sword.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited December 2012
    If your in for a bit of cheese :

Scimitars ** (You can pickpocket drizzt from his two scimitars +3 with 50% in this skill).
    Axe ** (Because there is one returning axe + 2 for ranged attacks)
    Bastard Swords ** so that you can deal toe to toe with the Greater Wolfwere

If you'd rather play legit :

Long swords ** insted of scimitars (stil you can find +2 scimitars)

Do not bother with the two handed swords in this game, since there is a ring of free action that renders spider bane useless.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I've always liked the idea of a cav wielding a morning star. Not looking at what weapons are optimized, of course. I wish that all weapons were roughly identically represented, as some are horribly and woefully abandoned.
    Dear lord, each one of you have a diferent idea about wich weapon is best...

I don't now what to choose!!
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Whatever tickles your pickle
    edited December 2012
    Elendar said:

Whatever tickles your pickle

Yes, except the fact that some weapons (with no cheese intended) are better than other.

@VittordeVitto, I would not recommand twho-handed swords in BG1 because as you know, a Cavalier cannot use bows or thing like this (exceptions are the throwing axes).

In this game Two handed swords only deal 1-10 (and a long sword 1-8).

Then, if you take 1h weapons, you can shield yourself a lot better (Best Shield is Large Shield+2).

If you want a solid choice, you can choose long swords and pick the other ones the way you want.

Do not take katanas, because you will only find ONE +1 katana, late in the game (no +2), and you won't be able to hit the most powerful ennemies (Death Knight, Aec'Letec)
    I like the Spider's Bane for a Cavalier.

Immune to Poison.
    Immune to Web.

One might say, you are the Spider's greatest enemy. =3
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    In all honesty (and apologies if I duplicate recommendations above) I think bastard sword + sword & shield would be a good start for a cavalier. At level 3 put a proficiency point in another weapon type you like and have already found (or will soon find) a magic version thereof. If your lawful goodiness permits Imoen to rummage around upstairs in the Beregost inns, you can get the Mace +1 Stupifier which is nice and cavalierly and has a good stun effect.

Actually, starting with mace and sword & shield might be the way to go, then at 3/6 put points in bastard sword.

Sword & Shield gives you a nice AC boost against the prevalent missile-firing enemies in BG1, but I'm sure some would be appalled at the notion. You can always start with two points in mace or war hammer, two in long sword, which will give you a nice early blunt weapon and a nice early slashing weapon, then work in the bastard sword or go ahead and get great sword proficiency if you plan on rushing to a certain blade in BG2:EE.

Just whatever you do, you have got have a cavalier attitude about doing it. Otherwise you lose roleplaying points, no?
    LOL! We could implement RP points. You lose them when your pally allows Imoen to go chestpicking and pocketsifting. :)
    edited December 2012
    CaptRory said:

I like the Spider's Bane for a Cavalier.

Immune to Poison.
    Immune to Web.

One might say, you are the Spider's greatest enemy. =3

There's a ring of free action, and web is not a spell that you meet often when you're out of Cloakwood (other location I can recall are Catacombs under Candlekeep).
    edited December 2012
    Nukenin said:

In all honesty (and apologies if I duplicate recommendations above) I think bastard sword + sword & shield would be a good start for a cavalier. At level 3 put a proficiency point in another weapon type you like and have already found (or will soon find) a magic version thereof. If your lawful goodiness permits Imoen to rummage around upstairs in the Beregost inns, you can get the Mace +1 Stupifier which is nice and cavalierly and has a good stun effect.

Actually, starting with mace and sword & shield might be the way to go, then at 3/6 put points in bastard sword.

Sword & Shield gives you a nice AC boost against the prevalent missile-firing enemies in BG1, but I'm sure some would be appalled at the notion. You can always start with two points in mace or war hammer, two in long sword, which will give you a nice early blunt weapon and a nice early slashing weapon, then work in the bastard sword or go ahead and get great sword proficiency if you plan on rushing to a certain blade in BG2:EE.

Just whatever you do, you have got have a cavalier attitude about doing it. Otherwise you lose roleplaying points, no?

You really want him to struggle during the game ? The only +2 mace is in Durlag's Tower...

Magical Bastard Swords is good only when you find one, ie, late in game (or perhaps at Beregost's smith IIRC).

There is no bastard sword +2 (or perhaps Baldurian's one) which mean Bastard Sword is only good at this point.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493

LOL! We could implement RP points. You lose them when your pally allows Imoen to go chestpicking and pocketsifting. :)

Who said you allowed her or even knew about it. "Heya, Its me Imoen! I got you a nifty present!"
    I'm always getting tripped up by web traps when spiders are around. Also, most parties have two tanks, so you can give that ring of free action to your other fighter-type even if it's a dual class like Jaheira.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Ever threatening to postpone any actual progress in the game, I've been contemplating rolling an Inquisitor (or maybe a Cavalier). But I think about the things I (as a player) do in the game, like sending Immy up to Algernon for a little slip-and-grab, or pilfering cupboards in Winthrop's inn, or barging into a locked house, and wonder if I could force myself to not do these things.

Then again, some of my fondest memories of BG2 were cheese runs with my inquisitor "Shaggy" and his love Viconia. The first time without any happiness mod if I recall correctly; that led to a big facepalm followed by reload followed, if I recall correctly, looking the other way while Viccy went off and indulged the dark side. I guess you could say I was roleplaying a falling paladin who kept managing to catch outcroppings on the way down and kept trying to scramble back up.
    Paladin isn't responsible if the party thief goes off to pilfer things as long as he doesn't find out...
    Nukenin said:

Then again, some of my fondest memories of BG2 were cheese runs with my inquisitor "Shaggy" and his love Viconia. The first time without any happiness mod if I recall correctly; that led to a big facepalm followed by reload followed, if I recall correctly, looking the other way while Viccy went off and indulged the dark side. I guess you could say I was roleplaying a falling paladin who kept managing to catch outcroppings on the way down and kept trying to scramble back up.

Actually, this is more realistic than you know. How many of us are led astray by our hearts? You know it's sort of wrong, but feelings cloud judgment.
    Nukenin said:

Actually, this is more realistic than you know. How many of us are led astray by our hearts? You know it's sort of wrong, but feelings cloud judgment.