Skip to content

Coran's Quest Can't Be Completed

Current Behavior: In my file, talking to Coran and bringing him into the party indicates that a quest has been started, but no entry appears in my journal for any chapter. When I have a Wyvern Head in my inventory and talk to Coran, he says to turn it in to the priest in Beregost. After turning it in, however, the message box says "Quest Updated - Bassilus the Murderer" even though I've completed that quest, and further attempts to speak with Coran result in him saying "No time to talk - I have wyverns to hunt." He will also leave shortly, even though the quest was completed.

Expected Behavior: Speaking with Coran should put the wyvern hunting quest in the journal, under "Current Quests." Turning in the wyvern head to the priest should put the quest under "Completed" and have some form of acknowledgement from Coran. He should also stay in the party once that has completed.

Is there any console code that can fix this in the meantime? He's kind of the only NPC left that fits the party.
Baptor

Comments

• LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    Current Behavior - When I turn in the wyvern head at the temple as per requested by Coran when he joins my party, I get the journal entry that says I have completed the "Bassilus the Murderer" quest.

Expected Behavior - The correct journal entry is updated when I turn in the wyvern head.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Looking at this further, it's not just happening for Coran's quest. A few of the quests I get don't show up in my journal, though this is the first time it has prevented me from actually completing quest. This has also happened for all of Neera's quests, and at least one other which I can't recall.

Expected Behavior: All quests should show up in the journal when began, and moved to completed when finished.
    Iecerint
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah, I know it's messed up right now, but this is the first time it's actually prevented me from completing a quest. Even if this doesn't get fixed for a while, I imagine there's some sort of console code that can mark Coran's wyvern hunting quest as being completed to use as a temporary fix.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think the journal thing actually comes from BG1. There's never been a journal entry for when you complete his quest.
    Interesting. When I talk to him he still says he's hunting wyverns, but I'll try resting over and over again to see if he leaves the party again. If not, then I suppose it's not much of an issue.

Thanks.
  • YurellYurell Member Posts: 2
    SPOILER WARNING

I went to the cave with the giant, dead wyvern, and killed every wyvern in there. I returned to the Mayor in the Temple of Lathander and gave him the wyvern head, and received the reward (total trip was about four days game time).
    However, Coran still says "Now, we must take the beast's head, and bring it to the Temple of Morning in Beregost. It is there we can receive our reward."

I had presumed that the expected behaviour would be some form of acknowledgement that the quest had been completed.

I don't think anyone has posted this bug yet; I tried looking for it, but this forum's search function isn't so good.
    Tanthalas
    edited December 2012
    Merged
    Thanks. I had the party sleep for around a week in an inn, then went questing. Coran still says that he's going wyvern hunting, but it looks like he won't leave the party, so everything's all good.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I don't think every "quest" has a quest entry. Some quest entries "I'm helping soandso" just go into the journal portion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, we know about the Bassilus thing (I actually think that one comes from BG1 too, but I'm not sure).
    [Deleted User]
    edited December 2012
    Merged the threads.
  • BaccaBacca Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    I've had Coran in my party for some time now and have completed his Wyvern quest.

I'm now in BG and have been doing some quests. One of which is the quest from Fenten to get him some Ankheg scales. I popped to the BG bridge and headed up the east coast to the Ankheg spawner there. I spoke with the fisher girl as I hadn't encountered her before.

Since returning to BG Coran is now stating that he can't stick around as he has Wyverns to kill. I am very concerned that he will abruptly up and leave my party in the next 16 days or so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Bacca

Would you mind spamming some inn resting just to check if Coran will leave?
  • BaccaBacca Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    Tanthalas said:

@Bacca

Would you mind spamming some inn resting just to check if Coran will leave?

Will do so just now.

Edit: I have just advanced time by 22 days and Coran didn't say anything when I stopped inn rest spamming.

Further Edit: I have the advanced save if any further bug-testing is required.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    What is your 'CoranReward' variable? --> GetGlobal("CoranReward","Global")
  • PalatinusPalatinus Member Posts: 55
    What global values does imply Coran's quest completion?
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I think part of BGTweaks fixes all the journal stuff, and also some factual discrepancies in Sarevok's journal. The devs may be able to look to that material to fix the journal stuff.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I played a game with Coran and i didn't got this. By the bug reported, apparently when you don't have made Bassilus quest before you end Coran's quest, the journal mess up the 2 quests. The same NPC receive both bounties (the priest of lathander), and probally a bad config make the NPC answer the end of quests only in an specific order.

What i meant is, the first quest, no matter which one is done, will be labeled at the journal as Bassilus quest complete, the 2° quest done probally will be labeled as Coran wyrven's quest complete.

So to anyone with the issue i give a suggestion, if you have a save before Coran deliver his quest, before deliver the Wyrven's head, kill Bassilus and deliver first his symbol and later the wyrven's heard, then pay attention to see if now the journal entries are stated as they should be.

If you don't have a save from before complete Coran's quest (or if you don't want to walk too much back on your game by using a too old save), try to complete Bassilus quest now, maybe (probally i think) it will update Coran's quest instead.