Skip to content

Priority Bug Crash on game start

13»

Comments

• StraitJacket00StraitJacket00 Member Posts: 3
    win 7 64 bit - this seems to get things working..or at least for me. Baldur's Gate was located in this directory. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ I moved the data directory to c:\games. Open C:\Games\Data\00766. Set compaitbility to XP sp3, disabled display scaling on high DPI settings. Checked run as admin. Started game by dbl clicking Baldur.exe. It ran once. I closed it tried to run again nothing. Set every back the way it was. Clicked OK. Turned all these above settings back on and ran the game through charcter creation played some and exited. It now runs every time. I found these settings in some post somewhere...fixed my issues. I am very curious as to why this worked. If I selected any other settings or combination of settings it was a no go
  • TrepideTrepide Member Posts: 5
    Oh, yeah, thank you!! Did the same and it worked. The only thing that I've not done before was to launch the game in administrator mode.
    I created a shortcut on the desk and now it starts everytime with no problem.
  • TyxerTyxer Member Posts: 10
    This is a interesting method, will test it when I get home.
  • LongLankinLongLankin Member Posts: 9

win 7 64 bit - this seems to get things working..or at least for me. Baldur's Gate was located in this directory. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ I moved the data directory to c:\games. Open C:\Games\Data\00766. Set compaitbility to XP sp3, disabled display scaling on high DPI settings. Checked run as admin. Started game by dbl clicking Baldur.exe. It ran once. I closed it tried to run again nothing. Set every back the way it was. Clicked OK. Turned all these above settings back on and ran the game through charcter creation played some and exited. It now runs every time. I found these settings in some post somewhere...fixed my issues. I am very curious as to why this worked. If I selected any other settings or combination of settings it was a no go

Also tried this, unfortunately it didn't work for me. I run my OS on a small solid state drive, so I put my games onto a different hard drive, maybe this is an additional variable.
  • TyxerTyxer Member Posts: 10
    Did try this, no step in it made any difference in my case.
  • StraitJacket00StraitJacket00 Member Posts: 3
    If you look at the GOG.com site they are very specific about having the game run from C Drive and Off the root directory. Directory names should not be more than 8 char either it seems or it can cause "weirdness".

I hope they get this fixed otherwise i will have to update with any patches then copy the whole 2 gigs into this other directory
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    We're underway on a potential fix.

-Trent
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28
    Quaestor said:

@ibitato

Right - running "not-an-emulator" in an emulator environment on the native system which doesn't really support the game. Yes, that sounds like a brilliant work-around for performance issues. Thanks a bunch.

Hey, at least it's a 100% fool-proof solution. A much better one than "start iTunes before baldur.exe" or some random mambo-jumbo junk like "select compatibility mode for xp sp3 and then to vista and then to win95 and if it doesnt work, then set your background to pure white, play justin bieber and sing opan gangnam style so loud that your neighbour thinks you are insane".

:-)

We're underway on a potential fix.

-Trent

I understand the complexity of what is involved, and appreciate the work that you are putting into this.
    Well done guys, after the update the game opens. I wish I could buy you all a beer!
  • karrickkarrick Member Posts: 40

Also tried this, unfortunately it didn't work for me. I run my OS on a small solid state drive, so I put my games onto a different hard drive, maybe this is an additional variable.

exactly the same - i was wondering earlier if it was the SSD?

• ZedricoZedrico Member Posts: 2
    i was so excited to play this game at work to kill time... and i got it to work before i came to work (spent 4 hours messing around with things, and the worked randomly) and the next day i get a whole new problem... i cant even get this game open... pure garbage.
  • ZedricoZedrico Member Posts: 2
    like what did i pay for... its like being scammed..... all it says is... there was an error..... sending it to dump.. i just wanna play this game i dont wanna have to work so hard to play
  • AzureblazeAzureblaze Member Posts: 22
    Patch 2009 made my not launching/crash issue resolved. Make sure to grab it with the BGEE launcher.
    Specs : Win7x64, GTX 570
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Zedrico said:

like what did i pay for... its like being scammed..... all it says is... there was an error..... sending it to dump.. i just wanna play this game i dont wanna have to work so hard to play

Have you grabbed the latest update?
    That might work for you.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    How can you even think of congratulating them. Its been a week and most of half the people cant play the game. The people that get it fixed are congratulating them? Are they nuts, they promised a final copy of the game, not something that only works on half the population. I understand that I should give some credit to the creators but this is a load of crap.
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    DKnight said:

How can you even think of congratulating them. Its been a week and most of half the people cant play the game. The people that get it fixed are congratulating them? Are they nuts, they promised a final copy of the game, not something that only works on half the population. I understand that I should give some credit to the creators but this is a load of crap.

normally, people having issues its the ppl you find threads like this
    for all we know the vast mayority of people might be happie players
    but us reading this
This discussion has been closed.