Skip to content

The Mighty Drizzt, killed by.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A random lightning bolt....

Kinda bummed about the reputation loss since it wasn't me that killed him. After many playthroughs over the years I'm glad to see that this game still finds new ways to surprise^^

Comments

• MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Slightly less embarassing than death by falling cow, at least.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I didn't even realize this was possible. That's absolutely a fall-out-of-your-chair moment!
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    He had it coming. Asking for help to fight gnolls. What a disappointment.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Do you have a priest of Talos with you?
  • doodlesdoodles Member Posts: 14

Do you have a priest of Talos with you?

Nope, I have a priest of Lathander, but I don't think something like that would make something like this happen. One of my guys also got hit by a bolt during the fight, with weather like this no wonder people aren't very fond of living on the Sword Coast.

• State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I was joking, Imoen got struck by lightning twice in my last playthrough. Evil programmers. >__>
  • hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    My level 1 party killed some spiders in a house in Beregost today. Kagain survived with 4 hp left, and I thought I would just let him regenerate. As I left the house it started to rain and Kagain did not live long enough to regenerate :(
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I did not know that lightning actually kills characters. I've seen it strike folks many times to no ill effect. Maybe that it can actually kill is something new with EE?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I never got hit with lightning in BG1
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Lemernis said:

I did not know that lightning actually kills characters. I've seen it strike folks many times to no ill effect. Maybe that it can actually kill is something new with EE?

Maybe it's less severe if they have protection from electricity?
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    I did not know they added weather that ATTACKS you in this! Thank god I saw this post before I started another, Custom-Made party. Oh sweet Icecreamtubs! WE'RE ALL DOOOOOOOMED!!!!
  • AvengingExileAvengingExile Member Posts: 33
    There were lightning strikes in the old game, but I think they were more rare. IIRC, it would only happen to a character that was wearing metal, but I don't know if that's true or not.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha too funny. Take that you dogooder underdark-spawned dog.
  • FentonFenton Member Posts: 38
    Rofl that's awesome. Yes Lighting does damage you. It almost killed Edwin believe me in Cloakwoods.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited December 2012
    I've had it happen to me twice now. Once when I was coming out of the Wyvern cave in Cloakwood (area 2 or 3, can't remember), lightning struck Khalid when I was scouting ahead.

About 3 minutes ago, after coming out of Durlag's Tower, I found a few dopplegangers I hadn't yet dealt with, and when I rushed them...well...
    The lightning hit the ground a few more times after Dorn chunked him.

The irony:
    My character is a Priest of Talos. Thanks Mr. Patron Deity!!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    That is awesome, Drizzt killed by nature.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2012
    In my experience, natural lightning strikes in the game do damage equal to half of target's full HP, so if the target's already wounded, it can kill. I've seen that sometimes it misses too, doing no damage at all. I have no idea why you gained the XP and suffered rep loss for the kill, though in Neera's and Dorn's initial encounters you do get xp points for enemies they have killed themselves even when they are not a party member yet. A quirk of the engine? Any enemy (red circled) killed by anything gives you its XP?
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I did not receive experience after the Dorn Encounter near Naskhel (He joined me with 0 xp at level 1.

Concerning lighting strikes, I have been struck many times during my various playthrough, I can confirm sometimes no damage are taken from the lighting.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

I did not receive experience after the Dorn Encounter near Naskhel (He joined me with 0 xp at level 1.

Concerning lighting strikes, I have been struck many times during my various playthrough, I can confirm sometimes no damage are taken from the lighting.

What I was trying to say, if Dorn does the killing blow to enemies in that encounter, (and chances are high that he can decimate them all alone, he is a beast!) your party still gets the XP, but apparently he does not. Same for Neera's initial encounter in Beregost. I think game still awards xp for enemies slain by non-party members. Has anyone noticed if an enemy mage burns an enemy with fireball or stray lightning bolt, you still get the XP?

As for lightning strikes, maybe if you move your character very quickly at the instant lightning strikes, you may avoid the damage. It very rarely worked against other area damage spells too. Like, if you had boots of speed and/or haste, and time it correctly, you could avoid damage from a Horrid Wilting spell targeted on you too, if you instantly zap out of the area of effect when it triggers. (the instant the floating skull animation sucks bodily liquids out of you. Umm that sounded kinda weird.)
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I literally lol'd Doesn't happen that often.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    That'll teach him not to offend any nature gods :)

I always loved the lightning strikes, mainly when they hit my party and nearly kill one of the warriors right after the party just rested :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'm sure lighting strikes didn't do damage in BG. But I don't mind this enhancement, it's fun :)
  • chebmehchebmeh Member Posts: 20
    R.A Salvatore's taking notes for the next book...
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I think the lightning strikes did damage in vanilla, too. I've only experienced it once, but it was hilarious. Garrick was randomly spouting off some happy-go-lucky thing and then ZAP!
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    lunar said:

What I was trying to say, if Dorn does the killing blow to enemies in that encounter, (and chances are high that he can decimate them all alone, he is a beast!) your party still gets the XP, but apparently he does not. Same for Neera's initial encounter in Beregost. I think game still awards xp for enemies slain by non-party members. Has anyone noticed if an enemy mage burns an enemy with fireball or stray lightning bolt, you still get the XP?

When Neera and Dorn kill something in their initial encounters, I get the XP. However, any other time that someone not in the party kills something, I don't get XP. Traps have killed ghouls and bandits and I get no XP, Wizards have lightning/fireball-ed winter wolves and I don't get XP, and Shandalar lightning-ed about 5 peasants and I got 0 XP. Perhaps it considers them "in your party" like a charmed monster? Except you can't control them... WEIRD.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I think the amount of lightning strikes is a bug. It did happen in vanilla, but not to this extent.
    My main character was struck by lightning twice in the span of 10 seconds once. I was laughing then wtfing raging in the matter of seconds.

Having drittz die from a bolt, I guess even the gods are sick of him and all of his clones.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Okay, now I see the issue with lightning. I agree it's got to be a bug.

In vanilla, I saw lightning strike only a few times total , over years of playing. I was just in the wilderness and it started raining. Khalid got struck by lightning. I laughed. Then Jaheira got struck by lightning in the middle of the Drizzit fight with the gnolls. Then she got struck again. Then a third time. Four strikes in a few minutes, in the same area as the OP.
  • DarkovanDarkovan Member Posts: 90
    I'm just surprised you were quick enough to get a screen cap from a random lightning strike, its not something you would expect during a fight with drizzt lol.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

Just kidding, but was fun haha
  • doodlesdoodles Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    Darkovan said:

I'm just surprised you were quick enough to get a screen cap from a random lightning strike, its not something you would expect during a fight with drizzt lol.

I constantly pause ( and you can take screenshots when paused) because I have all my characters with bows bunched up to shoot him and use my main character with boots of speed to run around him and keep him occupied and I don't want to get instagibbed :)