Skip to content

Another topic on custom portraits.

Hi, everyone! Hope someone here could help me to find a resolution for the issue with custom portraits.
I have both BG:EE for PC and iPad and can transfer the savegame from a PC to iPad and back. However, when I use custom portrait for the main character and then transfer the savegame to the iPad, I have blank black square instead of the portrait on the game's main screen. Additionally, the game crashes when I try to open character menu. This does not happen when I use a save game with a standard portrait.
I've checked the size and resolution of the custom portrait many times and it is absolutely identical to those of the in-game. Does anyone have the same issue or a workaround for it? Any info is very appreciated!

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Have you checked to see if they are 24bit bitmaps? They need to be. Also file names need to be 8 characters max with no spaces.

Did you look here?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits/p1
  • J_DomenicoJ_Domenico Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the answer! As I already wrote, the images are identical to those built-in the game. They work on PC version without problems. I just can't transfer the saved game with a custom portrait to the iPad
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Have you transferred the actual portraits over as well? Not sure if it needs to refer to a root picture of if the bmp is embedded in the character file.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    The portraits themselves are never in the save file. They are in a separate "Portraits" file that is linked through the saved game or character. I believe they have indicated that separate file is not currently supported in the iPad version. Hopefully, that will change soon.
  • J_DomenicoJ_Domenico Member Posts: 4
    @decado Yes, i've tried creating Portraits folder in the Library and moved actual potraits. Nothing changed.

@actDave Seems like we'll have to wait...
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Which is good 'cause I just loooooove waiting!
  • scanlinescanline Member Posts: 46
    Well, here's another point. When creating a character, the import function is non-active. Is this because there's no folder in the file structure? Devs could you please respond to this?
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    yes I am having the same issue.

I have a set of my own home made portraits (portraits I found modified to fit BG EE, and I am making more) I wold love to use them on both PC (costume portraits are working on PC perfectly) and iPad.

pleas help, thank you.
    edited December 2012
    Devs, could you please respond to this? As a role playing game this is a rather important aspect of it. If we're going to spend 80+ hours with a character we create we'd love to make it our own. It's part of the whole BG/AD&D experience. Please let us know if you're working on it or aware of it or have a solution for it or anything please. thanks.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Not to turn this into a flame war...

Keep in mind much of the "customizabliity" of the game is not in the iPad version at this point, mostly due to iTunes / Apple restrictions on what you can and cannot do to an app off of their app store.

There are some things the developers can do to work around some of this (there are several threads in this forum dated well before the release of the software discussing some of this).

The latest developer info on supporting "modifications" to the game is in essence (from what I've read so far): They want to do it, but they've not gotten into what that support will entail since they're trying to get the game out the door and simply functional first.

RE: This specific issue, I would guess the problem is that there's a different way to link to pictures within the iPad release than within the PC release, and thus the save game isn't able to get ahold of a picture migrated from the PC to the iPad at this point. That's only a guess of course.
    D3V11_davemo
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    Ah, thank you for that, that clears things up very much.

For now the "creating character on PC and porting it to iPad with the portraits" will do, and hopefully they can get customization working on iPad to later on.

I am very glad for the info, it is much appreciated.
    It's good to know you can move the characters with portraits from the PC to the iPad. Has anyone successfully done this?