Skip to content

A crappy stat rolling monitoring utility I made.

Comments

• RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    Update to v1.0.2010 doesn't appear to have broken anything.
  • GuarocuyaGuarocuya Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2012
    Already at the stat rolling screen? Check.
    Update? Check.
    No other Baldur.exe? Check.

It seems Im one of the few non-compatible ones. But I appreciate the time you took for this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    awesome, i was hoping for something like this
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I can't seem to download any of your tools: The host keeps saying "file not found" :(
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I think I love you, I propose something like this some months ago as a feature request.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3708/stats-total-on-character-creation-screen/p1
    edited December 2012

I can't seem to download any of your tools: The host keeps saying "file not found" :(

Weird...

@AndreaColombo Did you try downloading from this link in this comment as well: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/179693/#Comment_179693
    Guarocuya said:

Update? Check.

It seems Im one of the few non-compatible ones. But I appreciate the time you took for this.

@Guarocuya Strange - I've gotten that error before, but only when the program was unable to find the Baldur.exe process. Which version of the program did you download and are you running 32 or 64-bit OS?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Ravel - It works; thank you very much for this time-saver!
    Ravel said:

Guarocuya said:

Update? Check.

@Guarocuya Strange - I've gotten that error before, but only when the program was unable to find the Baldur.exe process. Which version of the program did you download and are you running 32 or 64-bit OS?
    64 bit Win 7 Home. Would that be a possible culprit?
    Guarocuya said:

Ravel said:

Guarocuya said:

Update? Check.

64 bit Win 7 Home. Would that be a possible culprit?
    Shouldn't be - I use 64-bit Win 7 pro. Have you tried downloading all 3 versions and they all give the same error?
    Haven't updated to latest .2010 and maybe that'd help. The PC where BG:EE is nowhere near me right now.
  • Loki330Loki330 Member Posts: 15
    Perhaps I'm missing the point here... why not just give yourself the stats you want with shadowkeeper?
  • ImBarryScottImBarryScott Member Posts: 18
    Loki330 said:

Perhaps I'm missing the point here... why not just give yourself the stats you want with shadowkeeper?

You are indeed missing the point. If you don't 'get it' you never will. Don't try to understand the mind of a stat roller :D
  • and_then_orand_then_or Member Posts: 107
    Thank you for this. I'm one of those oxymorons (dough!) that will not use cntrl+8 or Shadowkeeper to alter stats but will roll for two hours to get over a 90.

Perhaps I should try some Oxyclean........
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Do you have any idea why sometimes after hitting Reroll, it switches to a number for just an instant before changing to another number? Is the game rerolling a dice that was too low behind the scenes?
    edited December 2012
    PugPug said:

Do you have any idea why sometimes after hitting Reroll, it switches to a number for just an instant before changing to another number? Is the game rerolling a dice that was too low behind the scenes?

@PugPug
    Most likely that's what's happening. The game appears to always roll within a race's confines, but will reject any roll too low for your selected class. This means that a single stat may get 10-20 rerolls before it finally gets one in the appropriate range.

Since the monitor is set to update every hundredth of a second, it's entirely possible it's updating while the program is still rerolling.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    This thing is great! I finally had an excuse to download it and roll a new character!
  • vekkthvekkth Member Posts: 25
    doesnt work, gives exactly the same Access Violation problem shown here. Tried both 32 and 64 versions.
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    Catching the rerolls is the most fascinating thing about the program. Really gives you a behind the scenes look at what's going on with the roller. But I swear, sometimes it looks like it's rerolling my super high rolls as well. Probably just my imagination, but I can't help shaking the feeling that it throws out some rolls in the 90's. Very specifically when I'm trying to roll an Avenger (rolling for stats with an Avenger is the absolute worst - nothing else comes close). I'm kind of afraid that it isn't rounding my 17's and 18's down, but instead is rerolling everything. So if I DO roll a super high score that involves high strength and/or constitution, I'm not just having that roll diminished a little bit... I'm having it thrown out entirely.
    edited December 2012
    @Rhyme - Lemme check real quick to see if it rerolls all of the stats if one of the stats doesn't meet the class requirement.

Edit: It appears that each stat roll which fails to meet the class requirement is rerolled individually.

What this image shows are the instructions which accessed the Charisma memory value (left) and the Dexterity value (right) for a Paladin after hitting "Reroll" once. To break it down simply, Baldur's Gate rerolled the Charisma attribute 30 times in order to meet the class minimum, but only rerolled the Dexterity stat once.

This makes sense since the minimum Charisma score for a paladin is 17, but the minimum Dexterity score is only 3.
    Post edited by Ravel on
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    Thanks, Ravel. Is it possible to run it in reverse to see what happens to Strength scores that are higher than the maximum?

I guess I was hoping that it would just roll 3-18, but keep all rolls of 16, 17, or 18 as 16.
  • PainPain Member Posts: 58
    Ravel said:
    @Ravel when try to start, the program crash:
    what can i do?
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    Thanks, a wonderful time saver. My 93 salutes you.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I <3 this program
  • vekkthvekkth Member Posts: 25
    No word from the author i guess, it is strange that most that it works for some and doesnt for others.
    @vekkth Yeah, I've been monitoring the issue..., but can't think what would be causing some people to have this issue and not others. What I'll probably do is hop on Skype one of these days with someone who is experiencing the issue.

Unfortunately I'm working right now, and can't really divert my attention to it tonight. However, tomorrow is my day off, so if @Pain @Guarocuya or anyone else wants to troubleshoot this sometime tomorrow during the day (US time), I'd be willing to give it a shot.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Awwwwww yeah!!! :) This is great, just what I was looking for. I'm only on my phone right now,but will test it as soon as I get home!
  • PainPain Member Posts: 58
    @Ravel ok when you can help me send a mp
    edited December 2012
    Thanks to @Pain for helping me diagnose what's going on for those experiencing the Access Violation error. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the bottom of the issue. I found that his version of Baldur's Gate, for some reason used a different memory offset from the version that I have, but even after updating the source on his computer to the correct offset, we were still getting an error.

I'm going to go ahead and post the source code on both the GameFront and MediaFire links here and here.

In order to read the files, you need to download and install Cheat Engine, available here.

If anyone who is experiencing this problem ( @vekkth @Guarocuya) is proficient in LUA or is willing to take a shot at fixing it, I'm sure others would appreciate it.
  • gabilturghgabilturgh Member Posts: 25
    @Ravel I love this program!!!!!!!