Skip to content

Other language versions? When?

YoYoYoYo Member Posts: 71
One week after and till now no non english version of BG:EE? Why?

On PC its only text for other languages, now useres wait for dubbing...but why users of iPad version are worse in Your eyes? I cant understand it.

Please to add this promised patch in this week. :(

Comments

• Archie_DragonArchie_Dragon Member Posts: 29
    I asked the same question two days before - I hope we can get some answer this time.
  • YoYoYoYo Member Posts: 71

I asked the same question two days before - I hope we can get some answer this time.

Hope too. A little annoying situation. For sure, can play in English but for people who cant read Shakespeare without any prolems (not native languge) it can be a problem to feel of aspects of BG...
  • ramayraizramayraiz Member Posts: 3
    Same cuestion, date?
    Anybody in Home?

Any news about this?
  • ramayraizramayraiz Member Posts: 3
    nothing yet. Please somo date
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Of course there's nothing yet. There hasn't even been a patch.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    And the submitted patch doesn't have the languages. So you will be waiting a while.
    Damn. I should have waited before I bought it.
    Yes, any news about support the others???
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    As I noted in another thread: how about "Coming soon!"

No official date noted and none will be upcoming for fear that they will miss the deadline and get more ass hats on the forums screaming about how unprofessional they are.

Were this a month ago before the F.I.N.E. folks on these forums put Beamdog through the wringer on release day about how unprofessional and stupid the entire staff was because they missed a date set months before by a week...I'm sure they'd have been happy to post a date they think they'd get it out to you...or at least address the question.

As it is now, we've browbeaten them into acting like every other "professional" company out there and taught them that communicating with their customers must be done in generic and non-definitive terms...so that they don't piss us off.

Blame the people on these forums, not Beamdog...they're doing EXACTLY what we asked them to do...
    edited December 2012
    Cant agree - versions between platforms cant be different. Maybe the game sill has a bugs, right, but PC users has many more choice in options than iPad users - with languges too. Languges works too same at PC or iPad, no problem with localization in the other games so why here its a BIG problem, still dont know.
    Relax Illydth, I even bought the PC and the iPad version just to support the Devs :) I'd whish they just could drop their priority in this issue in a thread. Will they first fix the complete game and then add the translations? Then we'll have to wait three more months - I get myself another RPG. Will they add in with the next iPad patch? I can wait for it.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited December 2012
    Localisations require quite a lot of space, which the iPad version has little to spare, so that's something that requires careful management. And they can't simply put a million of different localised versions on the App Store either.

Besides, they have four platforms to develop for, each with its own issues, bugs and peculiarities. I'd rather see those problems fixed, because they are a universal inconvenience, unlike the localisations.
    edited December 2012
    iKrivetko said:

Localisations require quite a lot of space, which the iPad version has little to spare

Txt file (like in PC version)? Dont think so...

In BG we have: dialog.tlk i dialogF.tlk - 3Mb for one languge - so in total 15 Mb???? Sorry, Beamdog didnt do this like in PC version.

Different part its a dubbing for sure. For me must be possibility to take only one preffered - its near 400Mb per one languge - so good option its to add it as download FREE DLC.

But still no text in IPad from Beamdog side. :\

It can't just be a text file change folks. ALL of the sound files (as YoYo I think mentioned) would have to be re-dubbed for an updated language version, and that means a significant number of file changes and file size differences.

From an app development perspective, I guarantee if it was as small as flipping a switch, they'd already have flipped it...there's no reason why additional languages would be intentionally held back if there wasn't a technical problem doing so.

This is a significant change requiring significant development cycles to put additional languages into the game...if it weren't they'd be there already.

As to your comment Archie...I agree it'd be great to get more communication as to what their priorities and timeframes are. It'd be great to get more information on "here's what bugs we're working on" or "hey, patch submitted hopefully it gets through"...and, to their credit, they still seem to be doing some of that...but it's not nearly as frequently nor nearly as "informative" as it used to be...and that's a problem directly descended from how the community here treated their communications at the time of release.
  • FungostarFungostar Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 179
    @Illydth
    had you gave a look at the rest of this whole forum ?

The localization effort is all done by volounteers, Overhaul simply can't add the localizations to the iPad version because they're all still in beta and can't even commit on any date because they have no control on the differnt languages teams.

For BG:EE in particular, I think all movies/sounds will be left in english while only (!) the text will be changed.

@YoYo is right, it's nearly 15 megs of space.

By the way, I'm still waiting for italian to start my first game even if I preordered BG:EE and got it on day 1 :(
  • vkbestvkbest Member Posts: 42
    YoYo said:

iKrivetko said:

Localisations require quite a lot of space, which the iPad version has little to spare

Txt file (like in PC version)? Dont think so...

In BG we have: dialog.tlk i dialogF.tlk - 3Mb for one languge - so in total 15 Mb???? Sorry, Beamdog didnt do this like in PC version.

Different part its a dubbing for sure. For me must be possibility to take only one preffered - its near 400Mb per one languge - so good option its to add it as download FREE DLC.

But still no text in IPad from Beamdog side. :\

re-dubbed? are you crazy? This game only will be translated, no re-dubbed. Yes, I know it, original version was dubbed.

If they are expecting to put spanish voices on iPad, they have a big problem, size´s limit for appstore is 2 GB, this game´s size is 1,8 GB, they would need to make different binaries for every language, then what is the problem? "different binary" = "different game", so people who buyed this game wouldn´t get update, you would need to buy a other app again.
    edited December 2012
    ? Read more Carefully.

In dont talk about the new dubbing. Dubbing exists from old version of BG and works perfect in my version BGEE (was added to PC manually, just new characters are in English - voices).

Beamdog now has all rights for all other languges versions so dont do it again. Good idea its an option as download DLC via store for free for sure for iPad users. If Your game (BG1) was localized You can decide - download voices in Your languge or not. My PC version its only 400MB for all voices in my languge.
    Illydth said:

As to your comment Archie...I agree it'd be great to get more communication as to what their priorities and timeframes are. It'd be great to get more information on "here's what bugs we're working on" or "hey, patch submitted hopefully it gets through"...and, to their credit, they still seem to be doing some of that...but it's not nearly as frequently nor nearly as "informative" as it used to be...and that's a problem directly descended from how the community here treated their communications at the time of release.

I started following the twitter feeds, there's all the information I was looking for here in the forum :)
    I didn't know that volunteers seem to do the translation work. In this case it makes sense they first collect the problems in the PC version of the translations, and bring it fixed to the iPad.
    So, still no info about other version? Why I bought it :/ in the beginning.
    Beamdog has all files (See PC version!) for this and still no, and no any infos.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @YoYo - how did you do this thing? I'd love to get the original Japanese dubbing, if available, to hold me over until the translation project is ready for release.

@YoYo - how did you do this thing? I'd love to get the original Japanese dubbing, if available, to hold me over until the translation project is ready for release.

Dont know about Japanese dubbing. It depences from the Country wher BG1 was translated or not (with speeches too). If in Japan was do in years ago Beamdog has it.

To try to answer you @reedmilfam, the game came from an original copy...obviously. The original Baldur's Gate was translated into several different languages (I think?) and thus those translations are probably still in the game somewhere.

YoYo is complaining because he seems to think (and I can't prove him wrong because I don't have the PC version of the game) that the translation files are sitting out there in the PC version of the game but aren't being made available in the iPad version of the game.

I can't comment any more on this other than to say that I doubt Beamdog is sitting around NOT releasing a translated version for the iPad just because they don't like iPad users or want to piss off everyone not running this in english.

I assume there's a really good reason why translations aren't in the iPad version of the game. It's a matter of waiting till support is included.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    No worries; the team is working on Japanese translations and I'm hoping they'll be ready by summer.
    Im back to Skyrim plus dlc.

Till now no ANY support for other languges, still NO ANY patch for iPad version!???

Sorry, not serious here.

I decided not to buy BG2:EE in future, not any preorder version... Maybe one year after on sale time.
    Pity.
  • BJMJDBJMJD Member Posts: 192
    I heard from some people who translate the game, they have regularly some news lines to translate.
    I think beam dog need to determine the VO before to launch the others versions.
    New version of BG EE for iPad was released - 2012, but sill no other languges support???

Sorry, but its very annoying situation. We must wait again 2 months for this and PC USERS CONTENT???

Never will buy BG EE2 in the beginning, maybe one year after :/.
  • FungostarFungostar Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 179
    I know the italian localization is currently in testing phase, so it's still not final. Since it hasn't been released, Overhaul can't include it. Can't tell for other languages, but I think it's the same story.

However I agree with @YoYo, for BG2:EE I'll wait for the complete international version before purchasing it, no more preorders.
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    2 months later... We still haven't the game with the corresponding languages...
    Great work Beamdog!
  • muppermupper Member Posts: 4
    Kharador said:

2 months later... We still haven't the game with the corresponding languages...
    Great work Beamdog!

2 Month later they dont give us some feedback, no answers, NOTHING! im so angry and sad! last game i bough from this company! SURE!