Skip to content

What book(s) are you reading right now?

Comments

• eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    hi guys. noone 's reading tolkien's lord of the rings? for me it is like a status simbol.
    Teflon
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

hi guys. noone 's reading tolkien's lord of the rings? for me it is like a status simbol.

Perhaps in 2013 again.. read it "often enough" already :) !!!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Once was enough.
    DinsdalePiranhaTeflon

Once was enough.

oh, well you are right..... it isn't so handle....
    noone reads some italian classical literature?

• Ruckus3Ruckus3 Member Posts: 73

Buddy, you can only read about Tom Bombadil so many times. I get so pissed he wasn't in the movies.
    eltonbarrel
  • Berserk_AlucardBerserk_Alucard Member Posts: 24
    Lord of the Rings is one of those series I really wish I had finished...I can't call myself a true fantasy fan without having read it. I'll get around to it soon!
    eltonbarrel
    Ruckus3 said:

Buddy, you can only read about Tom Bombadil so many times. I get so pissed he wasn't in the movies.
    i think you're in the right way. i' so surprised that tom wasn't in the movie trilogy....i think it is a fata error.... because i think, on my own, tom bombadil waas a tolkien alter ego.... anyone think this?
    Ruckus3
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

Once was enough.

Um.
    I read Dante's Inferno at least once a year, does that count? . -c .
    I have like three copies of the book, each one a different translation. Ciardi's translation is my favorite.
    ZafiroeltonbarrelMoomintrollTeflon

Once was enough.

Um.
    I have like three copies of the book, each one a different translation. Ciardi's translation is my favorite.
    sure!
    why don't you read entire Dante's "SAGA" ? it is wonderful!
    and do you ever read Matteo Maria Boiardo's Orlando innamorato? amazing.....

Ruckus3 said:

i think you're in the right way. i' so surprised that tom wasn't in the movie trilogy....i think it is a fata error.... because i think, on my own, tom bombadil waas a tolkien alter ego.... anyone think this?
    100%.
    Ruckus3 said:

Ruckus3 said:

100%.
    hi! thanks a lot for support ;)))))
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

Once was enough.

Um.
    sure!
    Because I have not been able to get my hands on a copy of the third installment, and I dislike the translation for the only copy of Purgatorio I have (Though I do like that it displays the original Italian alongside the English text).

Once was enough.

Um.
    sure!
    Because I have not been able to get my hands on a copy of the third installment, and I dislike the translation for the only copy of Purgatorio I have (Though I do like that it displays the original Italian alongside the English text).
    it is a great mistake.... and about orlando innamorato?

Ruckus3 said:

If anyone, I think Bilbo is Tolkien, the aged historian/linguist. Tired and gentle in a word of strife.

Ruckus3 said:

If anyone, I think Bilbo is Tolkien, the aged historian/linguist. Tired and gentle in a word of strife.
    That's why he's his "alter ego". Stan Lee's alter ego isn't Bruce Wayne, it's Batman, or Superman.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    daniel j boorstin - the discoverers
    started the book a couple of months ago it's cool to read a chapter and then discard the book for some time just to continue reading again later
    Ruckus3 said:

Ruckus3 said:

That's why he's his "alter ego". Stan Lee's alter ego isn't Bruce Wayne, it's Batman, or Superman.
    Not sure if I agree with that, why be a bearded loon when you can be a Hobbit?
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    I'm just finishing up New Spring of the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. I picked a heck of a time to get into the series (which to this point is 13 books plus one prequel), as the series finale comes out in early January.
    I'm now very very slowly reading "The Cave Bear Story." A book about the now extinct Cave Bear.
  • Berserk_AlucardBerserk_Alucard Member Posts: 24
    jflieder said:

I'm just finishing up New Spring of the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. I picked a heck of a time to get into the series (which to this point is 13 books plus one prequel), as the series finale comes out in early January.

@jflieder - How did you find the first book in the Wheel of Time series? Thats one of the series thats on my list I'm interested in reading some day.

• sentastormsentastorm Member Posts: 4
    the clan of the cave bear
    Ruckus3
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    @Berserk_Alucard I've been able to check out all 13 books so far, plus the prequel, at my local library. Be warned: it takes a while for the whole story to develop, but when it does, it'll completely pull you in. I find the character development excellent, the plot intriguing and the anticipation of the series finale quite palpable. A few of the books near the middle of the series are a bit drier than others, but the 3 latest books have more than made up for it.
    But to your original question, my local library has had every book in the series.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201

the clan of the cave bear

An amazing book. I find the clan's lack of vocal speech fascinating. Imagine a society where it was impossible to lie! Wouldn't that be a neat thing. Unfortunately Jean Auel's last book in the series was not as good as I had hoped it would be. You can tell she put in a lot of research into it though.

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

Zafiro said:

@MedullaOblongata, it's tough to name only one, but I can name three: The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment.

I like Russian literature, but I would like it better if everyone didn't have half a dozen nicknames. It makes it tough to follow exactly who is who.

I just finished "Mutiny on the Bounty", I'm working on "A Brave New World" and "The Brothers Karamazov" is next.
    I read "Brave New World" back when I was in High School, after seeing a TV movie based on it. It seemed to have quite a bit in common with the "Logan's Run" movie (and book by William F. Nolan, which eventually got turned into a trilogy- the second book is "Logan's World" and the third, which, honestly, isn't very good and didn't come out for another 10+ years, is "Logan's Search". It has Logan going into an alternate reality where the cities still exist (but with slight differences from his world) to bring them down yet again. It was quite the stinker, in my opinion. That must be why the other two sequels (with different co-writers) have not yet been published...)
    Malbortus said:

Right now I'm finishing up on the Finder's Stone Trilogy, by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. Its first book might ring a bell or two: it was reworked as Curse of the Azure Bonds, one of the famous Gold Box games, Baldur's Gate spiritual predecessor.

I particularly liked book 2. It's pure P.G. Wodehouse style, set in the Forgotten Realms. Splendid!

60 pages to go and then it'll be time for non-fiction again: A Distant Mirror, by Barbara Tuchman. A chronicle of the calamitous 14th century, with its Hundred Years war, its Little Ice Age and Black Death, and the last Crusade.

"A Distant Mirror" is an excellent book. I loved it enough to buy a copy for my own. If you like reading about the middle ages, and the kinds of systems and institutions that existed then, definitely look up books by Frances and Joseph Gies. They are my favorite authors when it comes to reading about lives in a Medieval Town, Village, City, Castle, etc. Also, look up the DVD "Terry Jones' Medieval Lives" by Terry Jones. Yes, he was a member of Monty Python, but he also has a degree in History. Watching the Middle-aged Jones dressed up in a blonde wig, Pink pointy hat and dress as a storybook Medieval Princess is downright hilarious.

Lately, I have been reading several books. "Seawitch" by Kat Richardson, "Ember's Kiss" by Deborah Cooke, "After Moonrise" by P.C. Cast and Gena Showalter, and "A Christmas Garland" by Anne Perry. I am about to start "Black Heart" by Holly Black. So, in the past five days, two romances (three, because "After Moonrise" is two stories in one), and two mysteries. But I read just about any and everything. :)
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Just finished Jon Meacham's book on Thomas Jefferson -- quite good.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Started to read the Avatar Trilogy again.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Started reading the hobbit paperback and having less trouble imagine how character voice heard or look like ~ thanks a lot, peter jackson.
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    What a great thread!

LOVE all the Pratchet books, specifically the DiscWorld series (which there must be 20+) and Good Omens. I think its a must read for any rpg fan, as its a great and hilarious take on the genre...

Patrick Rothfuss and his series (Name of the Wind being the first, the last still pending...) is one of my favorites...

LOTR is of course the standard. I read that thrice, years past and still is the bar...

Loved the first couple Dune books, but the series never ends and really drops off after the first two. Still a classic. Reminds me of...

Game of Thrones. Which is awesome. Most political book ever IMO. Great series. I just hope Martin lives long enough to finish it...

Currently I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Truly epic. 14 books long, he died before the end but Brandon Sanderson finishes it magnificently. I'm re-reading till the ebook version of the last book is released in a couple months. The first 6 are amazing, number 7-9(10?) are a little slow, but it finishes strong. Speaking of which...

My new favorite author has to be Brandon Sanderson. Not only does he do a GREAT job finishing the Wheel of Time series, but his Mistborn series is very good (not necessarily the best, but quite good and more importantly unique) and the continuance of that series, alloy of law, is amazing and such a different book...just great...

Also I should mention Dan Simmons. If you like smart writing, sci-fi, and great twists then you HAVE to read Ilium and Olympos...let me entreat you: robots debating the writings of Proust vs Shakespeare, the classic story of the Iliad told from the view of a 20th century Midwestern college teacher, and an Earth so advanced that the people have actually regressed to the point that they have to relearn learning itself...it's a wonderful series, short though it is.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    I'm currently reading 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss, although I can't say I'm terribly impressed with it.

I've been slowly chipping away at Steven Erikson's 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' series, which I love. Looking forward to starting book 8 soon :) I've also been poking at Ian C Esslemont's side of that series. Not quite as enjoyable but it's nice to have some other stories filled in.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited February 2013
    I'm about to start reading Arnold Schwarzenegger's Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story.