Skip to content

Wand targeting

I'm trying to use the wand of magic missiles with Xzar (and pretty much any other character), but I can't seem to target enemies with it. Pausing, I select it from the quick items, then select the enemy and... nothing. Same thing unpaused. I've tried being really careful when targeting the enemy, zooming in, tapping the red circle, then unpausing, checking to see if anything happens and.... nothing.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I made Imoen use the wand and haven't had trouble using it.. Even when paused.
    What you should look for is an audio response whenever your attacking a target.
    It'll also show in the dialog box. If there's no dialog there, you've missed with your target somehow.
    It helps being zoomed all the way in.

It would have been great if Beamdog had made the red circle under enemies change to another symbol as it does when you initiate dialog with NPC's in the game, and I wonder why they haven't done that too...
    davemo
  • namelessonenamelessone Member Posts: 17
    What would really help if they replaced the "circle under feet" with something that stands out well and is easy to hit on iPad, like a big tag or nameplate over head or under feet. Zooming constantly is not a solution.
  • PaulPaul Member Posts: 3
    When I select the wand from Imoen's quick items it gets the red square around it, but as soon as I select an enemy (trying it at Neira in Nashkel right now) it just deselects. Nothing else happens.
    @Paul
    If it deselects it means you've successfully targeted something.
  • PaulPaul Member Posts: 3
    Ah thanks @Bytebrain, that does indeed work. A bit confusing that there is no feedback like an icon in the portrait as with other attack actions.
    You're right, there ought to be more feedback, however, I've noticed that when given an order, the character tends to respond in some way, both verbal (audio) and in the text box. That's usually what I use to be sure I'm successfully targeting something.
  • popopopo Member Posts: 13
    > "If it deselects it means you've successfully targeted something."

IMHO, this is a terrible interface decision because it *also* deselects if you haven't targeted effectively. There really needs to be a better audio-visual feedback for when a character's action is chosen. This is especially a problem on touch devices as touch selection is so flaky, and "fat fingers" are so common. Also, target areas need to be bigger. If they can't be made bigger, there needs to be a text confirmation in the text window when actions are selected.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Popo: YOu've probably seen this in my other replies, but in case you haven't or someone else has missed this:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11786/know-bugs-and-issues-with-bgee-ipad

Last post by Trent.

I'll add "Magic Wand usage doesn't put a graphic in the character's portrait" as a bug in the thread above as that is the standard "feedback" you should be getting...if the magic wand is going to be used, the graphic should appear just like the sword or arrow or spell icon appears when you're going to successfully use one of those items.

Can anyone confirm (I can't play the game right now) that using a magic wand, like the magic missile wand, does NOT put a graphic in the character's portrait for it's usage?

--Illydth
    davemo
  • BarryWallisBarryWallis Member Posts: 14
    @Illydth: Confirmed. Putting a wand graphic in the corner of the icon is all I need.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Bug reported.