Skip to content

How to fix the Interface

2»

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    JayCarr said:

How to fix it:
    1) Moving the map around should be a 3-fingered swipe action-- I put three fingers on the screen, I move the map around. I use 1 finger, I move a character. I think people should take to it, it's the way a lot of graphic editing programs work on iPad. Besides, people can always be taught.

According to a post in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11128/bug-dragging-the-screen-registers-as-a-tapclick-finger-location
    you can already use a 2-finger swipe to move the map around, and when you do it is not registered as a move command.

I do not have the ipad version myself to test this out, but I remembered seeing that post and thought I would pass it along.
  • JayCarrJayCarr Member Posts: 8
    Sadly that also activates zoom, and I'm a stickler for pure inputs ;-)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Yeah, moving the map with the two finger swipe activates zoom. That's annoying as hell.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I agree on the 3 finger swipe to avoid zooming while swiping.
    I love spiderweb games, but his stuff is no where near this level of complexity. It uses screen tiles for all character movement. And I have still had similar unintended move problems in Avernum.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I think it's going to be fixed more elegantly by Beamdog.

I have a suspicion that its just a matter of adjusting the sensitivity value of touch commands and swipe commands, or something to that effect, I'm not a programmer, but it sure is possible in other apps and games to separate the two...

Where I would like to see a swipe command implemented, is if a swipe over the bottom row of icon produced the Tool tips as shown in the PC edition.
    My preferred solution for targeting enemies would be enemy portraits. After selecting an attack, the first portrait click would highlight the target. The second would confirm the attack.

Perhaps that is excessive. It is almost definitely beyond the scope of possible options since it is a real change to the UI.

Clicking is tough in close combat when the game doesn't limit combatants to one per tile.
  • JayCarrJayCarr Member Posts: 8
    It might be a decent option, but I think it would really eat into the already limite screen real estate...

But, as I've said before, I think the best option is to allow the players to choose for themselves as much as possible a far as control goes. If there is enough demand, and it's reasonable to implement, perhaps it should be?

Perhaps the mods could make a thread devoted to interface suggestions? Then they could get ahold of what would be the most requested forms of control and perhaps they could be implemented as options (options! Not laws!) in the game?
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2012
    I would like to suggest a two-fingered tap for movement. Why you ask? Well, it solves two problems at once. You can both move and orient in a single gesture. The farthest finger would be the front and the 2nd would be the back of the formation. They could also improve the sensitivity on the single finger tap and keep that gesture for simple moves. Any screen motion or a long held tap should cancel the movement call.

It would also be nice to have some kind time indicator. There is a blank spot above the quest log that would be perfect. Tapping could toggle between time of day and elapsed time-- or maybe both will fit.
    Post edited by Sarthos on