Skip to content

Do you like the new cinematic?

2»

Comments

• etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    i dont really care. both are fine by me. 2-3 min of movies, in a 100+ hour game.. whatever.
    Proont
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    I think the new look nicer and gets to the point quicker. Style reminds me a little bit of the Thief games.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I've grown to like the new videos.
    Moomintrollegalor_originalProont
  • TelemakusTelemakus Member Posts: 12
    elminster said:

Personally I've grown to like the new videos.

They aren't bad imo. The intro one definitely hits the "creepy" mark. I try not to compare them with the old videos because I want to enjoy them on their own level.

The key then for me is to just not think about the original videos. I had no problem with the new intro until I looked again at the old intro and noticed some missing elements. It didn't "ruin" anything for me, but it left me feeling like a little something was missing. So I'm going to take a big hit of a sandwich before each video, and refrain from looking up the old ones.
    Proont
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I like the new movies. I've played baldurs gate so many times that I was ready for new ones. If I had the game on the shelf since 1998 nostalgia would probably have me believe they were better but lets be real, the originals were nice back then but are garbage by todays standards.
    elminster
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Playing more of BG:EE, I've seen some of the other movies. They're very pretty, though a little more static than my personal preference (though the death animation (often viewed) is a serious improvement).

The Intro so far is the only one that I have a problem with, I very much like the others.
    Proont
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Sorry the old one was stupid, I like the new one a lot more. Some scenes shouldn't be cut, like the kobolds in Naskel, but I think they are trying to bring mysteries to the crowd, which in my opinion is probably for the best.
  • tkelloggtkellogg Member Posts: 15
    I really miss the end of the original opening cinematic where the guy's blood trickled between the cobblestones (from a partially hidden body) and touched on the letters before pulling back for the epic full title reveal. I love that part. The new cinematic, where the full body is awkwardly shown amidst a uniformly expanding poll of blood while the title fades in, I find flat and uninspiring.

In general, I the enhanced edition art clashes with the art of the rest of the game and breaks the cohesiveness found in the original product.

All in favor of restoring the originals.
    LogicSornTeflonProont
  • LogicLogic Member Posts: 2
    I am deeply bothered by the new cinematics. It seems as though what they replaced the old ones with are only concept paper artwork pieces that have been given crude sliding animations instead of them actually creating enhanced versions of the cinematics. I loved the old cutscenes and cinematics, they added lots of mood to the game where it was needed and were very well made for their time. Even in this day and age I enjoy them much, much more than I do the new ones. I was very disappointed when I saw the intro cinematic for the first time. I feared for the rest of the game after observing it but was luckily not let down. It is only the cinematics that have my aggressive downvote.
    tkelloggSornTeflonProont
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Totaly agree, you reminds me of what BG1 cinematic was. It looks kinda old and rough todays standard however rendered cg is way better for me. I mean It's 3-D :)
    Proont
  • SornSorn Member Posts: 41
    I think part of this is the conflict between what 3D video is nowadays and what it was back then. I feel as though Baldur's Gate most certainly should have the cutscenes with animation, but I personally think the oldness and the roughness doesn't detract from the quality. I'd be perfectly all right with BG:EE having the same quality animation as the original, only with slight changes / new angles / different focuses. The goal is to enhance the plot, and I feel that high-quality animations would be a drawback and hold the rest of the game to a standard which it cannot graphically meet.
    On the other hand, the drawings just feel lazy to me.
    TeflonProont
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    When I watched BG:EE intro first time, I had serious goosebumps when Sarevok appeared on screen. (but maybe this was due to me returning to BG world) He looked really ominous and creepy. The expressions of the guy being murdered are scary too, though I agree this video lacks quite a lot of details the original had, I still love it.
    Sily
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I liked the new videos.

But it was clear they were rushed.

The opening video has quite a bit missing from it. There is no video for entering Beregost. None of the dreams seem to have the associated videos/cutscenes that I recall there being. There is no video for enterting the Gnoll stronghold.

Personally I think the NEED to get finished.
    egalor_originalSily
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I like the art style in the new one, but some "animations" made it look weird.

Also, no intro quote and cut of a certain line? :/

I like the style, but it could be more.
    SilyProont
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012

I liked the new videos.

But it was clear they were rushed.

The opening video has quite a bit missing from it. There is no video for entering Beregost. None of the dreams seem to have the associated videos/cutscenes that I recall there being. There is no video for enterting the Gnoll stronghold.

Personally I think the NEED to get finished.

Yea but the Beregost video and the Gnoll Fortress video didn't really add anything to the game. There was never any cutscenes for the dreams, only pictures with text and a voice over (so nothing moving on screen). Perhaps you are thinking BG2. They have changed the pictures certainly, though I can't say to what extent.
    Proont
  • SkyPigletSkyPiglet Member Posts: 10
    The original is far better. There's more of a sense of drama as you see the guy running away, whereas in the new version he just sort of dies in ten seconds.
    Proont
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2012
    BG1 all the way. BG1 intro and the ending movie are far better, but I like the new resting cinematic, although the BG1 resting cinematic is awesome too.

Proont
  • KaterinaKaterina Member Posts: 94
    I only have the intro, death and resting cinematic is it the same for you guys ?
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I like the new cinematics.

My only problem is they are clearly rushed, and the "patch" to "fix" them only makes them look even more rushed and unfinished.

Sadly.