Skip to content

Guns and Rifles

I know that guns are anachronistic in the setting of BG saga, but I think it's cool to introduce some guns in the game. Also, the game can build a new story and class on Mechanics/Machinist who develops technologies and inventions.

Guns: 2apr
Rifles: 1apr, +1 thaco, +4 dmgs

-use the same bullets from slings
-silver bullets: 1d4+2, +2 dmg against undeads

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Muskets and cannons were the most primative stages of gunpower weapons, so it would make more sense to have these if you are wanting to include guns, rather than just jumping straight to rifling.

But I disagree with the idea.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited December 2012
    such technology isn't found in forgotten realms' lore, chemistry is completely unknown (we have effectual alchemy tho), and only dwarves may have relatively crude steam powered machines, other than that it's a high middle ages fantasy land

magically functioning projectile launchers akin to guns could possibly work in planescape maybe...
    edit: like jan's 'flasher master bruiser' (i don't like that it's found in a baldur's gate game, doesn't fit for me)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    bob_veng said:

such technology isn't found in forgotten realms' lore, chemistry is completely unknown (we have effectual alchemy tho), and only dwarves may have relatively crude steam powered machines, other than that it's a high middle ages fantasy land

That's not true. My 3E FRCS mentions the existence of smokepowder weapons. They are magical, not chemical, but they're basically the same. However, they are extremely rare. Extremely extremely. I wouldn't want them in BG, even if it could be done - it's just too far-fetched.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    As @The_New_Romance said guns exist in the Realm. They were created by the Lantanese gnome worshippers of Gond.

They are rare, expensive and unreliable. With the destruction of Lantan by 4th edition it's a lost technology.

And if people complain about wild surges, imagine how the boards would be when the pistols and rifles started to explode causing, in some cases, area damage :)
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    mlnevese said:

And if people complain about wild surges, imagine how the boards would be when the pistols and rifles started to explode causing, in some cases, area damage :)

Actually, I like that idea. I'm going to learn some modding and perhaps one day I can mod this into my game.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    If you look on the werewolf isle... There are cannons and cannonballs.

And don't forget the Big Metal Rod, too.
    edited December 2012
    @bbear Here are the rules for you. Ignore the masterwork and feats, I couldn't find the pure 2nd edition rules :)

In the Forgotten Realms, firearms are known as Smokepowder Weapons. Smokepowder is an alchemical substance created by the rock gnomes of the island nation of Lantan. Smokepowder pistols and muskets are rare outside of Lantan, but due to the large number of gnomish merchants selling these new weapons, they are increasing in circulation.
    Now, though powerful, smokepowder weapons are not without their faults. First off, after every shot the weapon must be reloaded, a process involving adding a measure of smokepowder, a bullet, using a metal rod to slide the bullet and powder into place ,and placing a priming cap in the firing chamber. They are less versatile than a traditional ranged weapon and the firing rate is much slower. Also, if not loaded and primed properly, smokepowder weapons have a tendency to misfire, jamming or destroying the weapon and causing injury to the wielder. For these two reasons, smokepowder weapons have gained a reputation as being powerful, but unreliable weapons.

Smokepowder weapons have the following statistics:

Smokepowder Pistol
    Damage: 1d10 Critical: x3 Range: 50 ft. 3 lbs, 250 gp Type: Piercing

Smokepowder Musket
    Damage: 1d12 Critical: x3 Range: 150 ft. 10 lbs, 500 gp Type: Piercing

Smokepowder Horn (Enough for 32 Shots) 35 gp, 2 lbs

Bullets (10) 3 gp, 2 lbs

Masterwork smokepowder weapons add +1 to attack rolls and 300 gp to the price

In order to use a somekpowder weapon without penalties, the character must have the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Smokepowder Pistol and/or Smokepowder Musket

Special Rules:
    A smokepowder weapon takes 1 full round to reload in which the character can do nothing else before it can be fired again. A character that moves or takes any actions while reloading adds 1 round to the reloading time. A character with the feat Rapid Reload can reload a smokepowder weapon as a standard action. The penalties for acting while reloading still apply, however.

Misfiring:
    Smokepowder weapons have a tendency to be unreliable and just as dangerouns to the wielder as their target. When a natural 1 is rolled to attack, the weapon has misfired. Roll on the following table to see the results of the misfire (d10)

1: The smokepowder discharges in a bright explosion, blinding the wielder for 2d6 rounds and causing 2d6 damage to the wielder. The weapon is damaged beyond repair and must be replaced.

2-3: The smokepowder discharges in a bright explosion, blinding the wielder for 2d4 rounds and causing 1d6 damage to the wielder. The weapon is damaged and must be repaired by a smokepowder weaponsmith.

4-5: The smokepowder discharges in a bright explosion, blinding the wielder for 1d6 rounds and jamming the weapon. It will take 1d8 rounds to clear the jam.

6-7: The smokepowder discharges in a bright explosion, blinding the wielder for 1d4 rounds and jamming the weapon. It will take 1d6 rounds to clear the jam.

8-9: The smokepowder discharges in a bright explosion, blinding the wielder for 1d4 rounds and jamming the weapon. It will take 1d4 rounds to clear the jam.

10: The smokepowder discharges in a bright explosion, blinding the wielder for 1d3 rounds and jamming the weapon. It will take 1d3 rounds to clear the jam.

source:http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=37247
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    1. Gunpowder is super rare in Forgotten Realms.
    2. Still, it would be very unclimactic.
    3. Most importantly, there are no animations for shooting a rifle. And no, they can't do it.
    edited December 2012
    I don't see the animations as a great obstacle. Use the crossbow ones... add some smoke animation and you're done :)
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    No....

Just no.

You realize this is 2nd edition right?
    shame on you
    Ok...looks like the majority of people dont like this idea. Message received. I just put this in my game.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @mlnevese
    i've actually seen that once before, but i thought that it was some homebrew stuff

...anyway, doesn't look bad at all, it's acceptable for 2ed to me as well, as long as they are quite useless (unless it's a powerful uberenchanted artifact)

i'd actually exclude the pistol (too fancy and too advanced) but keep the musket (and have it do 1d10). i'd make the musket ignore all missile AC bonuses (which is what they were originally made for - piercing a knight's armor), but also, miss a lot (to hit penalty).

i would introduce the hand cannon: give it even greater damage (2d10 crushing) but a large min. strength requirement (~16, which is realistic) and an even greater minus to hit, and make it slow: -1/2 apr
    however, it could fire powerful magical cannonballs, some of which would be an equivalent of fireballs, some of which could release gas etc.
    also, cannonballs should be very heavy.

also, i'd make smokepowder weapons almost totally unusable without a specialization because they all have a large thac0 penalty (you can imagine those crude firearms being waaay less accurate than proficiently used bows and crossbows), and available only to few classes and races.

when it comes to cannons on the isle of balduran, that's strictly out of lore, because those cannons look very advanced, like 17th century artillery basically.
    this is what, say, a 15th cent gun looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYWDuXadosA
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    I could, they're in the 2nd edition handbook. They have a rate of fire of 1/3 per round (takes 3 rounds between shots), on an attack roll of 1 or 2 they deal 1d6 to the firer. They do not benefit from Str. (specialization raises it to 1/2 per round, 7 warrior is 3/4 per round, and 13 warrior is 1 per round. They can never exceed 1 attack per round, even under haste).

Pistols deal 1d8, Rifles 1d10, but have special damage rules. Every time an 8 or 10 is rolled respectively for damage, they roll additional damage again, and repeat for every 8 or 10 rolled.

Both the guns and ammo are extremely rare and expensive, 350 pistol and 500 rifle gp base price. Ball and powder are always considered magical (I'd assume you'd using the same pricing for magic arrows, since it doesn't list a price for these).

I could, they're in the 2nd edition handbook. They have a rate of fire of 1/3 per round (takes 3 rounds between shots), on an attack roll of 1 or 2 they deal 1d6 to the firer. They do not benefit from Str. (specialization raises it to 1/2 per round, 7 warrior is 3/4 per round, and 13 warrior is 1 per round. They can never exceed 1 attack per round, even under haste).

Pistols deal 1d8, Rifles 1d10, but have special damage rules. Every time an 8 or 10 is rolled respectively for damage, they roll additional damage again, and repeat for every 8 or 10 rolled.

Both the guns and ammo are extremely rare and expensive, 350 pistol and 500 rifle gp base price. Ball and powder are always considered magical (I'd assume you'd using the same pricing for magic arrows, since it doesn't list a price for these).

So, Greater whirlwind attack w/ the gun is useless? Also, what is special about the roll 8 and 10, or is it arbitrary? Why doesnt the ammunition (balls) determines the damage like other range weapons?

Looks like they are clearly inferior to other range weapons. Unless it is designed to penetrate armor (only uses the natural ac of the targets plus dex bonus) or has special effects, no one would want to use them unless for roleplaying or the coolness factor. Maybe they can cause fear in the target because enemies have never seen them before and loud gun noise is terrifying.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Because ammo doesn't effect the damage of a ranged weapon in PnP (bows deal a base of 1d6, x-bows deal 1d8), it just adds additional damage from the enhancement bonus on the ammo or some special quality it has.

It means if you get REALLY lucky you COULD hit for several hundred damage for a single shot..or just 1-7 or 1-9. Or 40 or 50...etc etc. And it happens automatically every time you roll max damage, an unlimited number of times if you get a streak. (You'd have to specifically exclude this item from being effected by offensive spin, kai, or righteous might though (normally it wouldn't be usable by those classes, but UAI would allow it), since that would mean instant death for any enemy you shot while under the effects)

They're very primitive fire arms meaning a lack of control, with very low reload speeds, but if they hit just right, they'll blow a melon-sized whole through whatever they're shooting at.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    bob_veng said:
    They'r talking danish and english with heavy (terrible) danish accent.

• SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    YUCK!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2012
    Go play Arcanum if you want steampunk (btw, firearms were broken in that game)!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Ooh! We can add Cerberus armor and weapons to the game, too! And the Mako. Walking speed won't be an issue any more, which is just great. And the cannon vs Basilisks = insta-win!

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    :::head explodes:::
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    "Go for the optics, Chiktikka! Go for the optics!"
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    It just ruins so much for me when guns are implemented, the idyllic scenario always withers ..and the damsel in distress was freed and she utterd ..brb hun..
    ..she came back with a strange device having many weird pipes forming a barrel, with a big backpack..
    ..she enterd the guard house where her captures sat and played cards, drank and sang songs, where upon she yelled: "EAT HOT LEAD YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" fire spew from the pipes and all the guards where killed by this mysterious device!
    Me longsword and shield seemed obsolete now..
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited December 2012

"Go for the optics, Chiktikka! Go for the optics!"

Chiktikka tell me the truuuth.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Arf... of the evil influence of those new games like those damn flashy fluo Torchlight, i guess ... :)))
    seriously, everything is possible, but, yeah, i would prefer to see the FR universe free of that evil invention so far.. just for the hell of the old heroic fantasy atmosphere only..clic&slash, no shoots, arf.. *)
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    I always enjoyed DnD (and BG) because of the lack of technology and guns..

If you wanna play a game with guns there are plenty of other RPGs out there.. For PnP D20 modern is a good system for guns. For video games there is mass effect and fallout.
    Sorry but guns have existed in FR since second edition, at least. As I said previously they're just rare and unreliable. If anyone wants more details research for Lantan and read about the other nice inventions of the Lantanese gnome worshippers of Gond.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    mlnevese said:

Sorry but guns have existed in FR since second edition, at least. As I said previously they're just rare and unreliable. If anyone wants more details research for Lantan and read about the other nice inventions of the Lantanese gnome worshippers of Gond.

Arf..interesting. I did not know that (or remembered) about the original FR 2nd ed. ! Interesting, k, thx for the reminding then. ) anyway, very limited so, ok.. but generally, yes, apart from 1 or 2 isolated geniuses/very specifical regions (then?) in the FR universe (why not indeed - gnomes, yes, especially, nice touch for that)) ), would be weird to see them really generalized everywhere -and to be honest, i would be a little O_o to see the FR transformed in a Torchlight universe so.. i thought about Torchlight, here, when , i read that.. funny. an already totally different (&weird) game atmosphere they created around that there (generalized), sure too.. ;)

• PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    As I understand it, some versions of D&D do include them, but this is mostly to allow GMs the option of including them in their games as ultra-rare artifacts or the like, to give a little twist to the traditional weaponry.

Definitely not something BG should have though, it would be jarring.
    If we are to follow FR lore, you could find firearms in the really big cities like Waterdeep... most people would find you crazy to trust a Lantanese invention. And when the thing exploded in your face you´d prove them right.

Really in a world where a 5th level mage can fireball you, a firearm serves no purpose but style.

BTW even in Lantan itself it would be hard to find a firearm. And once your supply of powder was over, you'd probably have to go back there to buy more.