Skip to content

The Journal of Linn Rhett of Candlekeep, Skald

LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
edited November 2017 in Fan Creations
EDIT: IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR NEW READERS:

ALL THE PHOTOSHOP LINKS TO THE ORIGINAL POSTS FROM 2012 AND 2013 HAVE BROKEN. I HAVE BEGUN TO RE-POST THE JOURNAL ALONG WITH NEW PORTIONS OF IT IN TEXT. THIS BEGINS ON PAGE 2. THANK YOU.

only imposed two rules on myself. 1. Stay in character. 2. Only write in the journal when my character would actually have time to write in her journal. No updating it with every little event. So that's before and after rest, in safe areas, or times when I can make it make sense.

Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to copypaste the text, I tried and it didn't work, so I'm doing this through screenshots.
...Also, my entries are only numbered because I found out fairly early on that the user journal, for some reason, kept entries in alphabetical order instead of chronological order, so it's just to keep them from getting all mixed up.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Sorry for how long this post is. It's the result of like three different play sessions yesterday. The other updates will likely be in shorter chunks. Anyway, feedbackis appreciated, and I hope you guys like this. :D
Post edited by LadyEibhilinRhett on
rodneyandsteptoerufus_hobarttoanwrathTuckerZafiroSidekickDarkDoggDexter

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2012
    @LadyEibhilinRhett, I love it!

You should be aware that every update appears to be making personal journal entries disappear, at least until you move your party around a bit, save, and reload.

To be safe, you should copy/paste your journaling into a backup Word file. I'd compose in Microsoft Word, if I were you, and then copy/paste the entries into the BG journal. (I hope that would work - I haven't tried right-clicking on the journal in game to see if the "paste" command comes up.)

If you don't find a convenient way to backup your journal entries, I would not recommend spending a lot of effort writing that could be lost at the next update.
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    Liking your Journal story - good to see someone else giving it a go! Totally different approach to my blog but I like the idea of just grabbing odd moments to write these things down - could imagine finding this journal somewhere and getting an idea of your adventures.

Looking forward to the next entry!
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2012

@LadyEibhilinRhett, I love it!

You should be aware that every update appears to be making personal journal entries disappear, at least until you move your party around a bit, save, and reload.

To be safe, you should copy/paste your journaling into a backup Word file. I'd compose in Microsoft Word, if I were you, and then copy/paste the entries into the BG journal. (I hope that would work - I haven't tried right-clicking on the journal in game to see if the "paste" command comes up.)

If you don't find a convenient way to backup your journal entries, I would not recommend spending a lot of effort writing that could be lost at the next update.

@belgarathmth
    Copypaste isn't working. Anyways, if I don't have the Beamdog client, doesn't that mean I'd have to update it manually anyway? Not sure on this, I may have my info wrong.

As for backup, I have these screenshots, don't I? XP

...Though if someone can figure out how to copypaste text from journals into a text file, I would be very grateful.

Liking your Journal story - good to see someone else giving it a go! Totally different approach to my blog but I like the idea of just grabbing odd moments to write these things down - could imagine finding this journal somewhere and getting an idea of your adventures.

Looking forward to the next entry!

@rodneyandsteptoe

Haha, it's actually something I've done for all my playthroughs in the BG series, I'm just posting it this time. The others were more just for my own personal enjoyment. Plus it made things feel more real. Though a lot of those I wrote down on actual paper, mostly because of the entry limit per chapter in the original games. After a certain point, entries just wouldn't show up, or they'd show up with errors and make the game lag. I am quite pleased that BG:EE does not have this issue and is friendly to people who write a whole lot. However, the wiped journal problem sounds troubling. I have had a problem with this, but with the quests tab, not my user-created journal.

• toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    As I mentioned in another thread, I will probably start one of these too. I don't mean to step on your toes, I just think that it is a brilliant idea (and that, of course, you are brilliant :D). Of course, my Gnome Fighter/Illusionist's journal will not be quite the same as yours I am sure.....(I think that is the character I will journal with, unsusre yet.)
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2012
    Well, that was entertaining! I'll be sure to follow the outrageous fortunes of your hammer-wielding skald. But I'm curious as to what accent she actually has. Being brought up on British English I instinctively went in that direction, thinking that her favourite song would be Knees up Mother Brown, but maybe that's wrong? :)
    LadyEibhilinRhett
    edited December 2012
    Update: Another play session finished. Here's what's been added to the journal.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

toanwrathZafiroSidekickTalin_Silverbane
    edited December 2012
    @swnmcmlxi
    In my head, it was always more of an Irish accent.
    Then again that's probably because "Eibhilin" is an Irish Gaelic name.

But that really makes no sense since she was raised in Candlekeep, so when I recreated her for BG I ended up hearing something that was...well, different in my head. Still works, but...not Irish. Not any accent that I know of.

So. Uh. Just think of her as having an Irish accent, because I can't describe the one she has now.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I liked this.
    I also though it was funny that your character writes these in her colloquial dialect, yet somehow manages to punctuate it correctly :p
    swnmcmlxi
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297

@swnmcmlxi
    In my head, it was always more of an Irish accent.
    Then again that's probably because "Eibhilin" is an Irish Gaelic name.

Right, that figures. I prefer Irish music to English music hall anyway. :) Well, she's a refreshing, non-stereotype, bardic lass that I look forward to reading more of.

A hungry feeling
    Came o'er me stealing
    And the mice were sqeeling
    In my Candlekeep cell...
    @swnmcmlxi
    Well it's also because of where I originally got her name. I mean, I said earlier that she wasn't named after me, it was the other way around, but that's not entirely true. See, I spent some time in the SCA, and my SCA name was Eibhilin inghean ui Niell. I was a traveling minstrel and I specialized in traditional Gaelic songs. The concept for Eibhilin Rhett was originally based on my SCA persona, but when I played her in Skyrim she ended up evolving into a whole other character. And then I adapted her for BG. So I may have also assumed Irish accent because the persona she was based on was Irish.
    ...and I chose that persona partially because I'm half-Irish.

Um anyways, sorry for rambling. heh.
    swnmcmlxi
    @LadyEibhilinRhett
    Dude, yours is so much fun to read! Can we get a screenshot of her character sheet (I am curious about her stats/alignment/portrait you chose). Also, she is totally crushing on Xan, don't deny it :D
    I have decided to not do mine, or at least not yet as it started out drastically similar to yours (not much else you can do at the start). I started as a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist, and I was trying to write mine differently than yours but it was difficult because I ended up doing very similar things.
    When I do mine, it will almost certainly be of a Blackguard, as I really want to see the diary of a power-hungry warrior with a two-handed sword who ISN'T Sarevok, but is very similar. His journal will almost certainly be different than yours.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Highly entertaining reading, my thanks! look forward to following her adventures (and even more Xan-love ;-))
    edited December 2012
    @toanwrath
    I'm not really sure about that. I mean she definitely felt something, but I'm not sure if you could call it a crush.

...Especially since she is already totally crushing on Rasaad. . -c .

But you know, the fun thing about roleplaying is that you never really know completely how the character's gonna turn out, or how they're gonna react to the others until you actually roleplay through it. So maybe there is some chemistry between her and Xan that even I have not seen yet. So I guess I don't know yet. ^^;

Draw your own conclusions. Maybe you'll even catch on to something about her before I do.
    @LadyEibhilinRhett
    Only because Rasaad is 'officially' a romance option. If Xan had dialogue options for romance (in some crazy attempt to persuade him that not everything is miserable) I am sure you would try it.
    Also, forgot to mention, Xzar's antics are AMAZING. When you get to talk about it in-character, he totally seems like someone I would want to travel with, so long as Montaron isn't with him (I would NEVER travel with Montaron if I were CHARNAME, because I would be afraid he would kill me in the night. That said, my Evil CHARNAMES are really not like me generally, so they can pal around with him).
    edited December 2012
    @toanwrath
    I would try it on some playthrough, that's for sure, but I'm not sure if I would with her, specifically.
    Official or not, she (and I) liked Rasaad from the moment she saw him.
    Honestly, I really like Xan, and maybe that's kind of showing through? But one of my favorite CHARNAMES romanced Xan with the BG1 NPC project. I'm not sure if it would be awkward having a character other than her feel that way about it. At the same time I don't entirely agree with Xan's characterization in the BG1 NPC project, and it would defs be interesting to roleplay out a relationship with him WITHOUT that stuff going on. Honestly it's been a while since I've played WITHOUT the NPC project, and by a while I mean at least 4 years, and now that I'm playing EE, I have to admit, I like my imagination better than theirs.

...Huh,. Maybe she is crushing on Xan, and I wouldn't admit it to myself. I dunno.
    Well. I guess we'll just see what happens.
    @LadyEibhilinRhett
    I've never played with the NPC project, so I can't fairly judge how they characterize Xan.
    For the most part I am teasing you, because I can tell how much YOU love Xan (regardless of how Ms. Linn feels about him). Oh, and I am glad that other people are starting to like Rasaad besides me (not in a romantic way for me, but I think he is very cool). I have seen a lot of complaints about how he isn't useful, but I beg to differ!
    So long as Rasaad is there, I don't think that Linn will have her feelings split too much--he is just too awesome. And he is so polite and delightful! I know I would prefer to have an optimistic romantic partner than a pessimistic one (just saying...)
    edited December 2012
    Well I had an extra long play session today and a lot of stuff happened, so here is an extra large update on the journal.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

As always, feedback is appreciated!
    Sidekick
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Would be good to wrap the images in spoilers, otherwise this thread takes ages to load :p
    @ajwz how do I do that?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shandyr thanks. spoilertagged all the journal entries to cut down on loadtimes.
    Update: I have noticed that after a journal entry gets long enough, the lag when typing is very long, and I don't like it. I'm in the middle of a play session right now. Just letting you guys know that from now on there may be multiple entries at the same time and date. Just. They are supposed to be one single entry, but I can type much faster if I do multiple entries.
    edited December 2012
    asdfklsjdkfjdkslk it is late so I am going to wait until another day to upload my next journal.
    i just want to scream at my party right now
    its like I started out in control but now i am just the vessel through which the story takes place and my mainchar has a mind of her own and stuff is getting strange.
    XAN STOP BEING SUCH A WUSS. I SWEAR IF YOUR MORALE FAILS ONE MORE TIME...
    LINN STOP ENCOURAGING HIS WUSSERY
    LINN WHY DID YOU LET NEERA INTO THE PARTY I WAS SAVING THAT FOR NEXT PLAYTHROUGH.
    NEERA STOP DYING.
    NEERA WHY IS YOUR QUEST SO HARD I SWEAR THIS IS SO ANNOYING I MUST HAVE GOTTEN TPK'ED AND HAD TO RELOAD LIKE, TIWCE ALREADY. THIS IS INSANE.
    XAN STOP RUSHING INTO MELEE COMBAT WHEN I CLEARLY TOLD YOU TO USE YOUR FREAKING SPELLS.
    LINN STOP HAVING CHEMISTRY WITH XAN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ROMANCING RASAAD.
    RASAAD SAY SOMETHING ALREADY OR DO SOMETHING OR HAVE SOMETHING HAPPEN TO YOU JUST DON'T STAND AROUND DOING NOTHING AND SHIT BECAUSE THEN ITS BORING AND YOU AREN'T GIVING ME AN EXCUSE TO WRITE ABOUT YOU.
    XAN STOP GETTING INTO DEEP SHIT AND FORCING ME TO WRITE ABOUT YOU.
    IMOEN STOP SAYING 'GOOD ON YOU IF YOU SAVE THE DAY' LITERALLY EVERY FIVE SECONDS.

...ahem. I'm sorry. I just. Got a little carried away there.

...I shall try to update the journal tomorrow.
    Wait... Neera's quest is difficult?
    Oh right, you are using Xan...and a Skald... :P Good luck!
    Here's the next update.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    /journal65_zps301291b4.png.html" target="_blank">Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

As always, feedback is appreciated! I want to know what you think so far!
    SidekickTalin_Silverbane
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @LadyEibhilinRhett Your link appears to be not working for me.
    @LadyRhian
    What link? I never posted a link. I posted some images, and they're showing up fine for me, so I don't know what to tell you.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

@LadyRhian
    What link? I never posted a link. I posted some images, and they're showing up fine for me, so I don't know what to tell you.

Apparently, quoting your post seems to have fixed it, but all that was showing up in the spoiler box for me was one line:/journal65_zps301291b4.png.html" target="_blank">

Mini-update!

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

LadyRhianDarkDogg
    Sorry it's been so long, guys! I've still been playing and I have a huuuuge amount of journal I haven't posted! In fact, the portion of the journal I still need to upload is so long I'm going to have to break it into two parts! Here's the next update! I'll put the second of these out sometime soon!

photo j01_zps89b79979.png
    photo j02_zps02b9d3b6.png
    photo j03_zps8d06d125.png
    photo j04_zps2f6ea87f.png
    photo j05_zps19839c78.png
    photo j06_zps17d8f7a3.png
    photo j07_zpsaaff20c5.png
    photo j08_zps37058efb.png
    photo j09_zpsa8f88b2b.png
    photo j10_zps566ee47f.png
    photo j11_zps8d7d0bef.png
    photo j12_zpse2f22e73.png
    photo j13_zpscdcf178f.png
    photo j14_zps7c5dced0.png
    photo j15_zps2b8e5969.png
    photo j16_zpsc7b1ba0e.png
    photo j17_zps50f4dd9f.png
    photo j18_zps89ed05e1.png
    photo j19_zps953b0c88.png
    photo j20_zpsa4a4fe29.png
    photo j21_zpse32d751d.png
    photo j22_zps01af08e8.png
    photo j23_zpsd00b046e.png
    photo j24_zpsebe13818.png
    photo j25_zps43b4dc3a.png
    photo j26_zpsf1a695ce.png
    photo j27_zpsf2e5138b.png
    photo j28_zps97a0af08.png
    photo j29_zps5efae613.png
    photo j30_zpsc45c1aed.png
    photo j31_zps202b6c52.png

Well, there's part one of the latest update! Hope you guys enjoy it, and again, sorry for being gone for so long!