Skip to content

Your Baldur's Gate 3 scenario's? *Massive Spoiler Alert (Duh)*

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Can I just say that a hypothetical BG3 doesn't necessarily have to assume that CHARNAME rejected godhood...?

I mean in the Forgotten Realms gods regularily walk the mortal world in some form or another. They interfere all the time through followers, and avatars, and indeed "mortal forms" of themselves.

You could say that CHARNAME ascended and Ao decided that he/she would not immediately join the ranks of the pantheon and instead would live out the rest of his/her natural mortal life before "ascending".
    Or perhaps CHARNAME decided to sent a part of him/herself back to Toril for some reason - maybe Imoen is in trouble, or Cyric (his/her natural rival) is causing havok in CHARNAME's homeland or has some plot that CHARNAME wishes to act against.

Perhaps you could play as an Avatar of CHARNAME in BG3 - much like Elminster is an Avatar of Mystra (I think) in FR.

And any changes in the game based on CHARNAME's ToB choice woukld be largely cosmetic.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    Ok the cool continuum of BG1 to BG2 was that you could get some your gear back. Uncool about it is that most of it was lost. However you did level up from 8 to 18 and then TOB from 18 to 40. So, what would happen in BG3. Would you once again loose all the loot you gathered and loose the item you created by bring seperate parts together to form a EPIC named item? And what would the level cap b if you were already 40th level? WOuld the new level cap be 60? Who would you fight? 15 number bands of goblins-- err I mean 15 level 18 pit fiends? then go on to face their big boss the ruler of some dark circle? Maybe he could have Loth for a side kick? Then you fight Orcus and Jubalex and 399 gelatinous cubes? That would be funny! I guess that would be how you would have to do it... or as has been said....

make your godlike character winner of BGTOB get level drained/retroed to first or fifth level? OR...

start a baby from that flirty old nun at the Candle Keep that comes up on you all worried and concerned when you quarter staff head crush the one hit wonder hired killer? and like is said you are Imoen's baby Baahl bouncing level 1 joy?

Mmmmm it is all rather dumb I guess I would buy it if there was a intro movie of me suckling Imoen's breasts... but kinda blahhh then again like was said might be fun to parody and satirize BG 1 and 2 and have yo meet all your old friends again... or TWINKIEBLADER daughter of Tiax! Tinker will rule All- Cyric has kissed her....
  • uberdubersoldatuberdubersoldat Member Posts: 5
    The ONLY acceptable possibility for BG3 to me, is to do it like Mass Effect. You HAVE to be able to load your savegames over, and have every choice/situation/ending affect the third. It's the only acceptable way.

The story could include charname, or it could be about charname. I do not care. All I care about is the story involve the results from BG2, your decisions from it, and you get to see how the world evolves from it.

Those saying you can't be charname because of how powerful he might be are dumb. You have no imagination.

My best idea would involve the character of BG3 being the offspring of charname, and living in their father's shadow of sorts.
  • simplewanderersimplewanderer Member Posts: 31
    Surprised no one has mentioned Aerie getting pregnant - obvious plot for Charname Jr.

Charname can cameo as a good or evil God [maybe depending on Jrs' rep?]

Can call it "Sword Coast Adventures - a Baldurs' Gate story."
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

Surprised no one has mentioned Aerie getting pregnant - obvious plot for Charname Jr.

Charname can cameo as a good or evil God [maybe depending on Jrs' rep?]

Can call it "Sword Coast Adventures - a Baldurs' Gate story."

I hope they don't build on that, because the whole pregnancy on the battlefield was just rediculous. And it was just a small option anyway.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    I definitely want another Baldur's Gate game, just not related to the Bhaalspawn saga as that's nicely wrapped up. Just something within the same general area with Baldur's Gate featuring at some point.

Other than that I couldn't care less what the story entailed as long as it was good. (Same perspective and gameplay are a must of course)
  • B3NB3N Member Posts: 150
    -BglII is between SoA and ToB

-BglII is two separate games on the choice at the end of ToB:
    * 100 years after charname has become a deity he returned to the kingdom because the tablets of eternity-were stolen (Time of Troubles II) or other ...

* charname never became a god and the story continues without contradicting endings

-Charname became a deity and may materialize in the kingdoms as a mortal and return to his plan of pandemonium at the request ...

-BglII is a full 3D remake

-My favorite: charname(deity) vs cyric or charname(deity) vs Ao :)
  • B3NB3N Member Posts: 150
    You are the son of charname and Aerie/Jaheira/Viconia/Nalia ?
    B3N said:

You are the son of charname and Aerie/Jaheira/Viconia/Nalia ?

Nalia? What? You mean Anomen. Gosh, I bet Anomen would be a HORRIBLE father.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    Charname wakes up in a mysterious, alien place (not on Toril).

OPTIONAL: [[It takes a few seconds for him/her to realize he/she is back in his/her mortal body.]]

Around him/her, five more people wake up.
    Charname rubs his/her eyes, trying to recognize them. He/she knows them all.
    Imoen, Sarevok, Balthazar, Illasera and Sendai. And they look... younger?
    They don't know what's going on, either, or why they're here, but they understand that the gathering of these particular six here means that there is a connection with their former status among the most powerful of the Bhaalspawn.
    They remember most of what happened to them in the Bhaalspawn saga, but some details are fuzzy.
    They remember it like if it was a dream, and start wondering if it was all just a dream (it wasn't).
    Some (or all) of them remember dying. Why were they brought back?
    They are all younger and less expert than they used to be, or at least they think: they can't be sure.

CHOICE:
    [[After a dialogue:
    - Charname takes all five as his/her starting party ("We all have to cooperate, if we want to get out of this situation.");
    - Charname fights Sarevok ("I can feel it, this is yet another of your evil plots!");
    - Charname, Sarevok and Imoen fight Balthazar, Illasera and Sendai ("Three of us, three of them!");
    - Charname fights those three who have an opposite alignment: 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 2, depending on Charname's and Sarevok's alignment, not available if Charname is Neutral ("No matter where we are, no matter what happened to us, we will never truly be allies!").]]

Charname and his (surviving) companions (all 10th level, 4E) wander through a dungeon filled with magical traps and mysterious "alien" monsters (and a boss monster, spewing prophetic allusions), and finally find a teleporting circle that is indicated to be the exit.
    They take it, and find themselves on Toril, on the Sword Coast, not far from Baldur's Gate.

CHOICE:
    [[After a dialogue:
    - Charname splits ways with one or more party members ("I don't need your help anymore."; "You go find your way, I'll find my own."; "It's better for everybody if we separate here.");
    - Charname convinces them to stay together to find out what happened ("Whether we want it or not, we're meant to stay united, brothers and sisters!").]]

Upon making the planar jump, they all level up to level 11. You get to choose their Paragon Paths.
    If Charname is imported, he/she keeps his/her last ability stats and his/her original class: if he/she was a multi-class, he/she becomes hybrid; if he/she was a dual class, you have the choice to whether leave her/him single class, make him/her a hybrid or give him/her the 4E multi-class feat. Other feats, weapon proficiencies and details might be imported from a savegame, where the "translation" into 4E is possible. The rest is reassigned by the player.
    Charname now needs to find out what happened to them and possibly track down the person or the entity responsible for their new condition.
    Maybe Charname's companions are still alive, out there.
    Maybe the remaining members of "The Five", the monstrous Bhaalspawn known as Abazigail and Yaga-Shura, are still alive, out there.

Charname soon learns of disheartening news.
    Over 100 years have passed.
    This world has changed. All the changes of the "timejump" in the 4E Forgotten Realms have happened: the Spellplague and the changes in magic, the old/new deities and the deities' deaths, the genasi and the new dragonborn, the small changes to other races, the kingdom of Many-Arrows, other political changes, new wars, geographic changes, planar changes, technological progress, the death of important Forgotten Realms characters external to Baldur's Gate, the fate of Elminster (no spoilers), Szass Tam, the disbanding (and reforming) of the Harpers and the Zhentarim falling completely under Cyric, the fall from grace of the Red Wizards ...and of course, for us, the 4E gameplay.
    OPTIONAL: [[Charname has lost his/her divine status.]]
    And Cyric is the prime responsible of all of this (together with Viconia's deity, Shar), but he's now banished to the Supreme Throne.

All of Charname's tiefling, human, halfling, half-elf and half-orc companions passed away: of old age, if nothing else (yes, even Minsc... no news on Boo, yet, though). Quayle, Kagain and Yeslick died of old age, as well.
    Aerie, Coran, Jan, Kivan, Korgan, Viconia and Xan are out there (assuming you didn't kill them), and can join you. Some of them look appropriately older, depending on the race. Those of them who were with Charname in SoA and ToB are more powerful and recruitable only later on (although they're not epic level and have been changed by the magic catastrophe and the passage to 4E).
    New characters are ready to join your ranks (at least enough to fill a full team, in case you killed all the returning characters in previous playthroughs and at the beginning of BG3). Genasi? Dragonborn? Changeling? Warlock? Warlord? Artificer? Etc...

Charname starts roaming the Coast, searching for more answers.
    He/she and his/her allies have adventures, recruit more allies, encounter friends, fight enemies, unveil conspirations, undertake diplomatic missions, face moral dilemmas, go on party members' personal quests, have internal conflict and banter, etc... etc...
    The usual. You know the drill.
    4E Forgotten Realms have hundreds of possibilities, in terms of plot hooks.
    All of it is not related or only marginally related to the main plot.

After some "local" roaming and adventuring, Charname and his friends soon estabilish a new base of operations in Baldur's Gate (now the largest city of the Realms). This stronghold differs depending on Charname's class.
    From there, through several means of transport (magical or ordinary), they go on several missions around the world: Athkatla, the "new" Thay, Menzoberranzan, Undren'thoz, Darkhold (held by followers of Cyric), Calimport, Rashemen, the genasi kingdom, Elturel and Elturgard, the Demonlands, the orc kingdom of Many-Arrows, the new "imperial" Cormyr, the Dalelands ...and maybe even on Abeir.

And sooner or later, maybe after reaching epic level and taking an Epic Destiny, they'll end up in the Supreme Throne.
    To have a talk with Cyric.
    Post edited by Raistlin82 on
  • I'd prefer the name Baldur's Gate 3 but the story would follow another protagonist. Just like the elder scrolls series except that the location would be around the same region. (unlike the Elder Scrolls)
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330

I think that a game set on the Sword Coast with a new protagonist would work best. The devs could include a few references to the original games and maybe a few cameos, but the plot should focus on something besides the Bhaalspawn. That story is over. It's done. It's all wrapped up. There's no need to drag it back out when there are tons of new stories to tell in the same setting.

I also think it should utilize 4th Edition as the ruleset. It's far more balanced and intuitive than 2nd Edition and would translate very well to a videogame adaptation. Plus it lacks THAC0, which is reason enough to replace 2nd Edition.

If it is based on 4e i will not be buying it. Just saying..

It could be based on the original dungeons and dragons ruleset.. 5th next.. ANYTHING but 4th..
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    As much as I and most every beefy Fighter playing Role Play Convention guy likes to taunt nerdy skinny guys who play wizards of dragon lance fame I have to say Rais has some fine ideas.... if they are not copyrigthed they could use some of them... however as was said before the BG3 game is restricted by (Hasbro's) History as it is in the dogma Wizrads of the Coasts books... so one must hope Beamdog can get some hot Thief Shafina type who can dupe them into a contract that cuts them some slack...
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    I'm just trying to understand something coz I'm a little confused still on this topic but the events during Buldars Gate, are they canon?
    Fatal said:

I'm just trying to understand something coz I'm a little confused still on this topic but the events during Buldars Gate, are they canon?

Well, some are, some not. It seems like the novels are canon.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    For one, I am extremely apprehensive about throwing the Baldur's Gate saga into a new ruleset, especially a ruleset that has been untested by the market at large. This is not just for possible issues with the mechanics, but the very flavor of the setting gets uprooted when you alter the mechanics behind it (just read about the job 4th edition had on Faerun). I understand they are contractually tied to Hasbro's canon writings and setting, but I fail to see why they MUST use the new, untested D&D ruleset. Using any version of the D&D ruleset is like free advertising for D&D and raises awareness of roleplaying and the brandname.

Anyway, that aside (because we probably can't change that) I agree with the voices on here that the original Bhaalspawn saga has played itself out, and that CHARNAME from BG1 and 2 has had his/her moment in the sun/darkness. We are going to be seeing a far different Faerun set 100+ years into the future, so we'll be fortunate enough just to tie anything back in to the original series. To that end, here is my scenario for BG3:

Your character, like the original Bhaalspawn, starts off the game with questionable parentage and raised as an orphan at Candlekeep (if it still exists; if not, some location with a formidable library). The question is raised early on in your career as to whether or not you may indeed have the blood of Bhaal running in your veins since you are possessed of peculiar powers; these powers are not exactly the same as the Bhaalspawn powers from before, but you start the game with one unique power already. Scholars and diviners are curious and fearful of you, since they thought the threat of Bhaal was long gone and over. Strange cultists, clerics and wizards come after you, and much like the legendary CHARNAME you are forced to flee Candlekeep.

As your story progresses, you begin to question whether your strange powers and visions arrive from the dead god Bhaal since they do not seem to match up with a god of murder. Finally, with a revelation at some point at a chapter close, you find that yes, you have divine blood, but no, it isn't from Bhaal at all! I will leave the choice of deity open for now to allow for flexibility with the writing, but Bhaal ends up being a bit of a red herring through your early story. However, you share some things in common with the Bhaalspawn and you learn a lot about them since you think you might be one, and it helps to tie everything in with the original game series. You even meet some noteworthy NPCs that are still alive in your quest to figure out what's going on with your body and soul (I really, really want an epic series of meetings with Xan to occur, who is too powerful now to join you unless they make BG4). People that hadn't played the original games would get to learn about them through dusty tomes and creepy loremasters, and those of us who had played them would relish the nostalgia of the new character's parallel evolution and seemingly walking in some of the same footsteps that the original CHARNAME did. It would make the new, weird world of Faerun a little bit less bitter for the older fans to swallow.

Strong aspects of this plot include a lot of historical ties to the original game series, a lot of nostalgia while still being a fresh story, and enough of a connection to the Bhaalspawn stories that it still "feels" like Baldur's Gate. As for gameplay aspects, I *REALLY* want the sandbox aspect of Baldur's Gate 1 where you can go exploring random zones and running across all kinds of random little quests and easter eggs, while maintaining the excellent character dialogue and writing of Baldur's Gate 2. If I could, I'd leave it in 2nd edition; but times change, and the world of Faerun has changed, so with it I suppose must change the rules. If 5th edition is as flexible as they say, I hope we can somehow capture the feel of Baldur's Gate in some custom package despite the alterations new rulesets bring.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    With Deus-Ex-Machina, Charname and co could easily be deleveled. Charname could have it that all memories beyond his battle with Melissan have been erased.

In this way, when you meet old friends, YOU can decide if you were in a relationship through triggers.

Say you remeet Aerie, you could have some options (note that these are abridged forms):

1. How is our child?
    2. I don't remember you very well
    3. I remember you... unfortunately. Are you still a wuss?

A vague example at best, but still.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I think that if they wanted to make BG3 while continuing the Charname story, all they would need to do would be to decide what happened in BG2 and start from there.

That's how BG2 started after all. It didn't matter what you actually did in BG1, BG2 assumed you had adventured with Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir. NPCs you had killed in BG1 would turn up alive again in BG2. In fact about the only thing that did transfer between games was that it assumed you had killed Drizzt if you transferred with his weapons.

It could be quite interesting to see how Charname would cope with the challenges of being a God in BG3. Though it wouldn't really be a Forgotten Realms setting any more - something more like the Planescape setting, although this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Unfortunately it would probably be very difficult to write a decent story for this. Particularly as the BG games are fairly combat focused, and there aren't too many entities that a God could have a decent fight with.
  • MorvianMorvian Member Posts: 24
    Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet or not (I'm leaving for work, no time to read the whole thread). I would like to see BG3 be a prequel. You play as a new CHARNAME alongside a young Gorion, who is essentially the new Imoen. At the end of the game you find out about the Bhaalspawn and have to stop them from all being sacrificed. I think that would be a much more interesting game than a story where I'm already a demigod or ridiculously powerful mortal.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    A few days ago, Trent tweed about post-BG2:EE. He mentioned BGNext
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    As usual, fanfics are always better than actual sequels - except for SoA =D
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950

Man these announcements are weak.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Dazzu said:

Man these announcements are weak.

It's a little early for him to be providing details. They just started BG2:EE which is going to be a several month long project.

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    PREQUEL IN TIMES OF TROUBLE

Only option, do it.
  • Ooooh yes. And meet Cyric, Kelemor, Midnight and Adon
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    I'd like to just see them remake ToB into what it was originally meant to be.
  • TheNPCTheNPC Member Posts: 57
    Consider.
    Between Jaheira, Viconia, Anomen, Arie, Neera, Dorn, Rasaad, Cominda (Or her male counterpart), Phaere, Imoen (Depending), Kelsey (Depending), and whoever else charname slept with the idea a divine scion of charname is about to gt into trouble is viable.

One idea is that charname has to deal with some crisis but he was tricked into an oath that prevents him from using his full godly powers. So he has to take an avatar form much like his father before him to solve the issue.
  • ArquibusArquibus Member Posts: 1
    It would be possible to either continue with the old protagonist (if godhood rejected) or start with a new character (champion of charname if godhood accepted) in a planar setting. Pushing deeply into epic level mechanics, it would be possible to have meaningful challenge with the legions of Hell, demon lords, various eldritch abominations, and even opposed gods (Cyric definitely seems the sort to pursue a grudge, even against a player that did not try to take his power). The old NPCs would essentially still be available as companions, and all sorts of various calamities of a truly epic scale could really create a tense scenario.
    Alternatively, playing in the remains of the Sword Coast, adventuring and becoming involved in efforts to rebuild, would be a sensible place to start a new character with only a tenuous connection to previous events but has ample opportunity to gain power, prestige, fame, wealth, or what have you by taking advantage of/setting right the current situation of the area.
    Truthfully, any scenario that doesn't involve undoing the past (I'm not a fan of the notion of deleveling charname, taking away godhood, etc.) seems acceptable, but there is one stance I would insist on. It would be far superior to import previous game decisions, a la Mass Effect or in a lesser role like Dragon Age 2, than to create some canon ending. RPGs are essentially about player choice. Deciding on a single ending going into the next game could do serious damage to player immersion.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Another war coming up, and an artifact which is related to bhaal is being looked for by the villain. I see a very dark and violent scenario where you can be either a hero or an opportunist.