Skip to content

With being out a couple of weeks, do we know if the game is a "success"

It would be nice to know if it met beamdogs expectations on sales?

That way we can know more about if we will be getting other EE games

Comments

• WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I hope after BG2EE, they do NWNEE.

Isn't it rather obvious to all that everyone wants FR back, without 4ed rules? Should be by now.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    WebShaman said:

Isn't it rather obvious to all that everyone wants FR back, without 4ed rules? Should be by now.

I'd rather they did Icewind Dale and added NPCs into it, as that's the one thing sadly missing from that game
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I'd rather not see enhanced editions of games any more.

Barring BG2:EE, i'd like to see something different.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Don't think anyone but Beamdog/Overhaul can answer this question really. They have stated they were happy with the amount of pre-orders though and it's not like the game has sold less since that was possible. And as Arsene_Lupin says, the game is selling very well on the ipad thing.

I'm curious about how well it's selling too. Fans of the original are many in number, and it's an easy sell to them, but the newer generation of gamers probably aren't as interested.
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    The game is definitely a success with me. An inspiring work of love and dedication to an old revered classic that I will not forget and always be thankful.

Sales figures will always unfortunately top individual perceptions of the game. But if among the fans of BG, Overhaul work is regarded in such a good esteem as I have for them right now, then no matter the sales figures it will be an overwhelming success.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    WebShaman said:

No, it's not obvious at all.

The problem with "everyone" is that it takes just one individual to put false the claim.
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    Stand-alone campaigns using this engine! <3 infinity enhanced engine > electron, aurora engine
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    Ossian Studios should really make a stand-alone campaign... perhaps, Mysteries of Westgate - enhanced. ;D
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited December 2012
    I for one am happy to hear this game is doing well. Beamdog has done a good job with the added NPCs and quests (I was surprised how well they did in fact), and I am looking forward to BG2:EE. Admittedly it will be a bit jolting to go from 2nd edition to 4th edition if there is a BG3 (if there is a 5th edition I hope they just use 4th instead), but 4th edition is actually a good system for a video game. I would personally see 4th edition as being a good rules platform for a turn-based tactical fighting game. If you want to keep the continuity of the Baldur's Gate series though, I would stick to 2nd edition. Every time you change systems, you also change the world in which the game takes place.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    It's been said that it was already a commercial success based on the pre-orders.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I really hope Beamdog does get the contract to take on BG3 or "BG Next." To really hit a homerun with it they will need a considerably larger staff and budget. But I would expect them to create a game that fills the very large shoes of the BG series. Beamdog is now in a position to take their intimate understanding of what works so well with Infinity BG, and apply it make an even better gameplay experience in a brand new game engine, and using the Edition Next ruleset. Set in the Forgotten Realms of the Sundering (or maybe post-Sundering). Anyway, I'd be very stoked to see that. Hope they get the chance to do it.
  • ArturArtur Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2012
    Personally I'm hoping for PST:EE (although I can only imagine the sheer amount of bugs this one will have at launch) after BG2:EE as it would take much longer to create a game completely from scratch, especially if they intend to go for BG3.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    For those who are interested in app store performance of BG:EE http://www.topappcharts.com/515114051/app-details-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition.php

And +1 for more IE games Enhanced. notably IWD1.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    I'd love to see either IWD:EE with loads of joinable npcs and new content, or a new isometric storybased rpg, set in the forgotten realms. Enhancing NWN would be dull, since it was never meant to be a game revolving around its campaign.
    But in the end we have to wait for some months to see, what beamdog's plans are.
  • secretfiresecretfire Member Posts: 63
    I'd like to see lots of expansion packs being produced by Beamdog, personally. There is a -lot- they can do with BGEE and BG2EE once they have the whole 'engine bugs' worked out. They could easily do that for a long, long time.
  • Infern0Infern0 Member Posts: 44

I'd like to see lots of expansion packs being produced by Beamdog, personally. There is a -lot- they can do with BGEE and BG2EE once they have the whole 'engine bugs' worked out. They could easily do that for a long, long time.

Agree.

I'd easily buy DLC, ADD Ons and expansions

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I think a 'living' multiplayer lobby, i.e. a real map where characters walk around, supporting gladiatorial PvP (whether team or single player), would be an awesome way to exploit the IE. This would be completely unconnected to any single player content.

Players could fight in tiers structured around nominal (for party) or absolute exp level, and be given Z amount of cash to gear/spell up prior to fights. PvP could really grow the audience, and I think the IE and 2.5e AD&D system is really setup to have some great tactical fighting.
    I'd like to see BG:EE and BG2:EE evolve to a point where most folk feel comfortable playing through the BG experience as the enhanced editions stand, with mods being truly a player's option and not feeling like a necessity.

Then I'd like to see them gently retired, and a similar but new contemporary engine brought to the (virtual) table. In the spirit of the Infinity Engine, supporting multiple systems and styles, but hopefully retaining the official license so that we can still have some of the beloved WotC product identity like the Forgotten Realms or beholders.

Alas, I fear WotC et al have much fumbling to do before sanity is reached.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

WebShaman said:

I'd rather they did Icewind Dale and added NPCs into it, as that's the one thing sadly missing from that game
    I may be alone in this opinion, but I don't see NPCs adding much to the IWD experience. The IWD series, to me, is the more hack-and-slash companion to the storyline-driven BG series. I enjoyed planning out and building six characters in the IWD games, and the grand-scale encounters were fantastic. If they made an IWDEE, I would rather see them focus their energies on new content for the party to explore, not new party members for the party to pick up.

Especially for IWD2. The end felt very KOTOR 2 to me.
  • TheSwamperTheSwamper Member Posts: 21
    WebShaman said:

I don't.

I want FR WITH 4e, that would be my dream game.

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    In defense of 4th edition, it is a great system for tactical combat and would make a lovely grid-based tactical fighting game. Y'know, the party travels on a worldmap, has social encounters, and then goes to a different style of game map once combat starts. I don't think I'd use it for BG3, but some other product title.
  • kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
    After an Enhanced SOA I would rather see either baldurs gate 3, planescape or even something more substantial like my favourite game Bungie's Myth The fallen lords (the trilogy) revamped. Answer to question, It really doesnt matter does it.

In defense of 4th edition, it is a great system for tactical combat and would make a lovely grid-based tactical fighting game. Y'know, the party travels on a worldmap, has social encounters, and then goes to a different style of game map once combat starts. I don't think I'd use it for BG3, but some other product title.

This is what I'd like to see. Set it anywhere in the Realms, though if it were set in and around Baldur's Gate and called Baldur's Gate (no "3", no nuthin'!) I'd be a camper happy.

Pull in everyone competent who ever worked on a D&D title—a dev-team supergroup. Make it so!

After an Enhanced SOA I would rather see either baldurs gate 3, planescape or even something more substantial like my favourite game Bungie's Myth The fallen lords (the trilogy) revamped. Answer to question, It really doesnt matter does it.

Ach! My exploding dwarves! It's been a long time since I played Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth II: Soulblighter. Never played the third one.

I wish Bungie hadn't gotten sidetracked on some other game. Can't recall what that was, I guess it didn't get anywhere. *whistles cluelessly*
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    WebShaman said:

Speak for yourself. I agree with @TheSwamper. A 4E FR game would be a day-one purchase for me. I'm thinking of giving Neverwinter a try, but it won't be as faithful to the 4E rules as BG more or less is to AD&D or Neverwinter Nights is to 3E.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    They would probably have to collaborate with Obsidian or something to make BG3. Well, they should do at least. Though I guess they're busy making Project Eternity.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    3e > 2e > 4e.

Truth
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Riolathel said:

3e > 2e > 4e.

Truth

Going to have to disagree.
    4E > 3E > 2E

• JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43
    If they are going to look at enhancing rather than creating beyond BG2EE (perfectly valid choice either way) I'll hope for Torment. Icewind Dale has it's good points but I consider it a lesser work that will always be in BG's shadow.

Going really old school, I'd love to see them convert the Dragonlance series to an IE game. Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn used to be the CRPG of choice much as BG was a decade or two later. Flesh out the story, add joinable NPC; much fun to be had.

Plus, we'd finally get the holy triumvirate of chaos available in a single D&D PC game :)
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    They all have their problems but 4e is barely even an RPG. I would say DnD next is my favorite but i've only played a few sessions so i'm not sure.. It is a lot like old dnd with 3 and 2 mixed in there.

Also playing a spellcaster in 4e= no fun

qoute from this forum that pretty much sums it up

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=75526
    "3.5, no questions asked. 4.0 is essentially tabletop WoW."