Skip to content

Irenicus: Stupidest antagonist ever? (Spoilers for BG2)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Other then David Warner's brilliant voice work, I never cared too much for Irenicus as a villain. I always felt the makers of BG2 tried too hard to portray him as the epitome of evil. Whenever Imoen would interrupt your party every 5 minutes just to whine, "Oh, he's sooooooooo evil...," I just didn't buy it - it just seemed phony somehow.

On top of that, after all his talk, he turns out to be a total pu$$y, and folds like a lawn chair every time you get into battle with him.

I always preferred Sarevok as a villain. From the moment you see him in the intro movie, he's both intimidating and mysterious. Watching him walk through about 50 magic missiles from Gorion and then easily hack him down made me afraid to eventually fight him. I also like the fact that you don't get to see Sarevok or know his motives for most of the game, which also helps build the anticipation of eventually facing him IMO.
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    tilly said:

I don't know... step back and take a look at this.

CHARNAME ran 200 feet then slept on the main road for 8 hours. And Mr Big and Scary still couldn't find him? o_O

Sarevok is a thicky! ^-^

Well Sarevok & Co did just get a face full of magic. Probably didn't even try to look for charname as there were already a horde of assassins after you anyways.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    tilly said:

Aberdash said:

Well Sarevok & Co did just get a face full of magic. Probably didn't even try to look for charname as there were already a horde of assassins after you anyways.

hm *-) or maybe Tamoko distracted him somehow! n.n Or he had to chase other orphans!

I definitely liked Sarevok as a villain more than Irenicus (although it was laughable when he appeared in public as a good person in his gigantic death armour). I always thought it would've been great for the main story to have one more chapter where Sarevok starts his slaughter of the Sword Coast. With the final fight on a battlefield. ^_^
    I wish they had developed great battles such as sarevok's army on the sword coast, irenicus at suldanesselar, or yaga shura against saradush - that would have been so epic!
  • SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    Irenicus could have taken a few pages out of Sarevok's book when it comes to villany. BG2 is the superior game in every aspect apart from the antagonist. Jon is a good baddie, but Sarevok is more eviler, and more than that the games story builds in such a manner that you can feel Sarevok making moves and hatching plots constantly... trying to take down all of his operations is like playing wackamole, there are redundancies all over the place. Irenicus on the other hand is constantly on the back foot and reacting to outside stimuli, rather than just manning up and taking control. Spellhold is a good example, sure it's a great evil lair, but he was forced there by the cowled wizards. I still maintain that Irenicus could have taken the coweled wizards.
    DJKajuru said:

tilly said:

Aberdash said:

hm *-) or maybe Tamoko distracted him somehow! n.n Or he had to chase other orphans!

I definitely liked Sarevok as a villain more than Irenicus (although it was laughable when he appeared in public as a good person in his gigantic death armour). I always thought it would've been great for the main story to have one more chapter where Sarevok starts his slaughter of the Sword Coast. With the final fight on a battlefield. ^_^
    I wish they had developed great battles such as sarevok's army on the sword coast, irenicus at suldanesselar, or yaga shura against saradush - that would have been so epic!
    TBH I thought the battle of saradush was one of the weaker encounters in ToB. The infinity engine just wasn't capable of portraying a massive battle the way it needed to be.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    @Aberdash
    Aberdash said:

I'll admit you have knack for reading what you want to instead of what is actually being written. I called you an idiot because you said everyone that was responding seriously to the OP was butthurt.

Okay, point taken you are right, I did make an unfair assumption about you. I'll remove that piece and see how it plays out:
    Aberdash said:

People are telling him why he is wrong. You look like just as much of an idiot as the the OP and should probably head back to /b/.

Take a chill pill man. Don't be so obtuse. These forums don't need your aggressively negative attitude. I'm fine with you overanalyzing the OP, but when you feel the need to individually shoot down every other person in the thread who dares to find the OP amusing, you are just plain rude. Do us all a favor and stop.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Irenicus could have taken a few pages out of Sarevok's book when it comes to villany. BG2 is the superior game in every aspect apart from the antagonist. Jon is a good baddie, but Sarevok is more eviler, and more than that the games story builds in such a manner that you can feel Sarevok making moves and hatching plots constantly... trying to take down all of his operations is like playing wackamole, there are redundancies all over the place. Irenicus on the other hand is constantly on the back foot and reacting to outside stimuli, rather than just manning up and taking control. Spellhold is a good example, sure it's a great evil lair, but he was forced there by the cowled wizards. I still maintain that Irenicus could have taken the coweled wizards.

Well, he didn't care much for anything other than revenge, I guess. I mean "I'm an archmage who's gonna become a god, everything else is just a means to an end.

BG2 is the superior game in every aspect apart from the antagonist.

Personally I don't call lack of exploration maps, mirrored sprites, pathetic number of NPCs, lack of pure thieves, and even worse bias towards good parties superior.

Apart from those details however, I would more or less agree.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727

10) That moment in ToB when you get to kill saemon.... feels so good, gotta be quick though!
    You can kill him in Shadows of Amn too... fun ride, worth what, 16,000 XP?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    tilly said:

Aberdash said:

Doesn't Entar Silvershield show up in full plate with a tower shield, or am I thinking of one of the other dukes? Point is, it's really not all that ridiculous to show up in ornate armor to formal events in a fantasy setting.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    pretty sure you're not supposed to start a list at '0' because '0' represents, you know... nothing
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180

I'm from spellhold, woohoo!

/hifive!
    edited December 2012

tilly said:

Aberdash said:

Doesn't Entar Silvershield show up in full plate with a tower shield, or am I thinking of one of the other dukes? Point is, it's really not all that ridiculous to show up in ornate armor to formal events in a fantasy setting.
    Yeah, that's how I always justified it too. I *would* think that the public would perhaps be a little put off by how sinister his armor was, but after that, hearing his eloquent speaking put it aside as "well that's just how he dresses, whatever."

I hang out in a lot of goody-two-shoes environments wearing stuff like Slipknot shirts, Left 4 Dead shirts, and gory stuff like that. I remember my teachers in school being a little put off by that but after seeing how I worked decently hard in school and was just in general a nice person they put my dress choice aside. So, kind of like that.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    That's why I prefer the older ambush scene. Gorion takes out the whole party and lays into Sarevok with enough damage to just about kill him (under ideal circumstances), before going down. So Sarevok is in the middle of the forest, with just a sliver of HP left, and his cleric is out of commission....he was in no condition to track you through the forest, and decided to err on the side of caution and just put out a bounty on you while he recovers. Afterward, he's too busy with his plan to come for you in person.

The newer one, Gorion barely dents Sarevok, and Tamoko is basically unscathed...and you've only been running for like 5 rounds. That Murder train should've been able to run you down without breathing hard.

Though yes, I do prefer Sarevok over Irenicus as far as antagonists go. Sarevok had his ambition, and showed what a well played, intelligent chaotic evil character could be. Irenicus was just an empty shell for most of the game, simply going through the motions since seeking revenge was the only comfort he had left. You don't even get to a see but a small fragment of the man he was, save for 1 dialog right before the battle at the tree, that despite everything else he did, does make you feel a bit sorry for him.
  • TheSwamperTheSwamper Member Posts: 21
    For me, Irenicus is the best villain evah created in a video game, and I'll nah be listenin' te ye blasphemin' him.

Seriously, when the awesome David Warner says "It's time for more...experiments", it chills me every time.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    MERLANCE said:

0)
    1) Yeah its outlawed but hes so powerful unless he starts casting in the streets they probably wouldn't go after him. If Dick Cheney shoots someone in the woods, no one cares, but if he climbs a clock tower then it becomes an issue.

Hahahaha. 5 points to you sir, for services to the interweb.

• Irenicus could have taken a few pages out of Sarevok's book when it comes to villany. BG2 is the superior game in every aspect apart from the antagonist. Jon is a good baddie, but Sarevok is more eviler, and more than that the games story builds in such a manner that you can feel Sarevok making moves and hatching plots constantly... trying to take down all of his operations is like playing wackamole, there are redundancies all over the place. Irenicus on the other hand is constantly on the back foot and reacting to outside stimuli, rather than just manning up and taking control. Spellhold is a good example, sure it's a great evil lair, but he was forced there by the cowled wizards. I still maintain that Irenicus could have taken the coweled wizards.

I think of it this way: Sarevok is good at the evil grand strategy. He's got all his pawns lined up, everything's going according to plan...and then one thing goes out of place and the whole thing falls over like a house of cards. When things start going wrong for Sarevok, he just pushes ahead with the plan and hopes that the incompetent assassins he keeps sending after you will finally succeed (also, he really needs to teach his minions to burn the letters).

Irenicus, on the other hand, is terrible at long term planning. He clearly doesn't think through the long-term consequences of his decisions, and I doubt he's spent even a moment considering what he'd do after laying waste to Suldanesselar and eating the World Tree. He's got tunnel vision on that one goal. What he is good at, is speed chess. Something comes along to throw his plans in disarray, and he improvises, adapts, and gets back in control. Shadow Thieves attack too soon and your lair gets wrecked? I bet the Cowled Wizards have a great facility for controlling dangerous mages. Prison riot? Strike a deal with the Drow and move on. Unexpectedly in Hell? Find some allies.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    That's what I've been saying for a long, long time.

"12) Makes deal with drow. Breaks deal with drow"
    By the way, that counts as two mistakes.

PS: whoa! Unbelievable how many butthurt nerdragers can't get comedy...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Anything involving Jan is Gold.
    edited December 2012
    Quartz said:

Yeah, that's how I always justified it too. I *would* think that the public would perhaps be a little put off by how sinister his armor was, but after that, hearing his eloquent speaking put it aside as "well that's just how he dresses, whatever."

I hang out in a lot of goody-two-shoes environments wearing stuff like Slipknot shirts, Left 4 Dead shirts, and gory stuff like that. I remember my teachers in school being a little put off by that but after seeing how I worked decently hard in school and was just in general a nice person they put my dress choice aside. So, kind of like that.

Exactly. Sarevok had some serious Charisma and political power. Every eligible noblewoman in Baldur's Gate wants to put a ring on his finger. Plus, the nobles who didn't earn their esteem and power like Entar or Eltan did are so completely out of touch with reality that they probably think Sarevok' gear is "just so delightfully macabre!"
    Post edited by Schneidend on
  • SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    Kaigen said:

I think of it this way: Sarevok is good at the evil grand strategy. He's got all his pawns lined up, everything's going according to plan...and then one thing goes out of place and the whole thing falls over like a house of cards. When things start going wrong for Sarevok, he just pushes ahead with the plan and hopes that the incompetent assassins he keeps sending after you will finally succeed (also, he really needs to teach his minions to burn the letters).

Irenicus, on the other hand, is terrible at long term planning. He clearly doesn't think through the long-term consequences of his decisions, and I doubt he's spent even a moment considering what he'd do after laying waste to Suldanesselar and eating the World Tree. He's got tunnel vision on that one goal. What he is good at, is speed chess. Something comes along to throw his plans in disarray, and he improvises, adapts, and gets back in control. Shadow Thieves attack too soon and your lair gets wrecked? I bet the Cowled Wizards have a great facility for controlling dangerous mages. Prison riot? Strike a deal with the Drow and move on. Unexpectedly in Hell? Find some allies.
    Gotta say this is an excellent perspective on it. Well put sir.

The only point I'd like to equivocate on is your sarevok metaphor of a house of cards. I'd consider his plans to more like a room full of houses of cards. CHARNAME knocks one over, but there are many more still operational. Which CHARNAME then proceeds to also knock over. Until he knocks them all over. Then he knocks over Sarevok.

The distinction is that Sarevok is a master of compartmentalization. No single act by Charname is enough to take him down. Irenicus on the other hand is constantly foiled by Charname at every point, requiring Irenicus to come to a complete rethinking of his operations and approach. Sarevok keeps himself at arms length the entirety of the plot. Irenicus is usually only one step ahead. A good chess player thinks several steps ahead.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I thought the OP was humorous, and humorous counter posts were made.
    I like them both as villains a lot. I enjoyed Jon's personal story (and I always thought that character portrait meant he could join me, so I always tried to).
    However, IMO, Sarevok just wins. His master plan from day one is genius (even if his lackeys are fools, but hey CHARNAME couldn't have handled Angelo at Nashkel now could he?), while Irenicis adapts and moves on, but is met at many turns with a grinning CHARNAME. Also, Sarevok becomes a party member! Either an engine of destruction for your bad guy, or a redeemable brother for your good guy. Definitely an amazing character, though Jon is awesome as well.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    It's like he graduated from the Ernst Stavro Blofeld School of Evil Geniuses or something. Now if only he had installed lasers on Bohdi's head... I mean a vampire is more scary than a shark, right? And either with a laser on it's head would be even more scary, right?
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    It's about time someone creates a story about a villainous plan that the heroes struggle to foil - only to find out in the end that the plan is perfect and the villain ends up winning. After he defeats the player in the final battle, you can then watch him standing over your dead corpse, delivering his great speech of victory before the credits beguin.
    Calmar said:

It's about time someone creates a story about a villainous plan that the heroes struggle to foil - only to find out in the end that the plan is perfect and the villain ends up winning. After he defeats the player in the final battle, you can then watch him standing over your dead corpse, delivering his great speech of victory before the credits beguin.

That could work, if it turned out that ultimately you the player were the "main villain" all along, and had concocted the bulk of your adventure to help you recover after losing your power and memories. Then, you realize that your true "evil plan" was actually for the betterment of the world, and the final boss would be an overzealous Paladin who is convinced you're an evil lunatic.