Skip to content

Bard armor

is there any in bgee

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Most shops sell chainmail.
    Thats the best armour you can get for a bard.
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    Depends on what "bard armor" is.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    I think he is looking for one which will allow him to cast spells.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    There is elven chain mail in the game. If you look at the magical items thread I think it has the CLUA console command for it. Unfortunately it is coded wrong right now and doesn't drop during its encounter.
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    i mean that they can use spellcasting in
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    No not yet - but it is likely to be put in in the next couple of patches or so (according to Trent on twitter)
    edited December 2012
    what is the CLUA console command for it
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    Also, can mages cast spells with it on?
    tyl998 said:

Also, can mages cast spells with it on?

pure class mages could not use it in bg2 but duel amd muti could
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Only classes who can wear leather armor are allowed to wear elven chain.

I don't know about the one in the game, but if it's a simple AC 5 elven chain, it's just as simple to cast the spell "armor", ac 6.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    I have an elven chain with AC1 and I can't cast spells in it with my bard.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    That isn't elven chain, that is Mithral Chainmail +4.
    Oh, and the Elven Chain in the game is just normal, non-magical, AC 5. Making it pretty much only useful for bards, because mages can wear robes of the archmagi.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552

That isn't elven chain, that is Mithral Chainmail +4.

Well a chainmail that is wearable by characters with leather proficiency and is dropped by an Elf makes it an Elven Chain right?
    No. If it was elven chainmail, it would be called, "Elven Chainmail +4" and you'd be able to cast arcane spells while wearing it. Elven chainmail is also made from mithral, but is crafted in a particular fashion by elves such that it is extremely light and non-restrictive. Drizzt's armor was made by dwarves.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Valchist said:

what is the CLUA console command for it

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("chan12")
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    There's also chainmail +2 available quite early on, which is better than elven chain, if you've used up all your spells
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    If you've used up all your spells, rest. :D

Before the advent of elven chain, just learn the Armor spell, and use it in lieu of armor until such time as the chain drops or you console it in.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672

There's also chainmail +2 available quite early on, which is better than elven chain, if you've used up all your spells

However you can't change armour during combat.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Use the Armor spell (AC6). It last 9 hours in game which is like 54 minutes real time.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    Drizzt's chainmail was made by Bruenor, a dwarf. It's mithril, so it allows thief skills, but it's not as finely made as elven mail, so it prevents spellcasting.

Elven chainmail is better....it's 1 better then armor, and you could use the +2 RoP with it later for the same overall AC as the +2 chainmail. You could do better still with spirit armor, but it's not really needed at that point.
    RedGuard said:

However you can't change armour during combat.
    No, indeed not, but you can change it between encounters easy enough

Use the Armor spell (AC6). It last 9 hours in game which is like 54 minutes real time.

I prefer shield (AC4, AC2 versus missiles, immune to magic missile) - only lasts 5 turns, but just cast it when you need it, or even buy the Shield Amulet, which is available early on, is quite cheap and can be recharged.

I still prefer the idea of being able to wear elven chain to save a spell slot and not to have to buff for "ordinary" encounters
    edited December 2012

Drizzt's chainmail was made by Bruenor, a dwarf. It's mithril, so it allows thief skills, but it's not as finely made as elven mail, so it prevents spellcasting.

Elven chainmail is better....it's 1 better then armor, and you could use the +2 RoP with it later for the same overall AC as the +2 chainmail. You could do better still with spirit armor, but it's not really needed at that point.

BTW elven chain (well, *all* chain mail) has modifiers for different weapon types, which alters its AC (unlike the Armour and Shield spells or Robes):

Base AC = 5
    vs. Missile: +0
    vs. Blunt: +2
    vs. Piercing: +0
    vs. Slashing: -2

So against blunt, it's actually only AC 7, but against slashing it's AC3...

Details here:
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/chap6.htm
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Sure, but it seems a bit pointless since you can rest up between encounters and always have your spells ready. However, I think if it's a choice between armour or magic then magic wins out on most occasions I expect.
    RedGuard said:

Sure, but it seems a bit pointless since you can rest up between encounters

Though that's not always possible (and even if it is, you can get interrupted), or you might not want to because of having characters with a good potion or scroll in effect
    RedGuard said:

and always have your spells ready. However, I think if it's a choice between armour or magic then magic wins out on most occasions I expect.

For the boss encounters, usually magic

• DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302

I prefer shield (AC4, AC2 versus missiles, immune to magic missile) - only lasts 5 turns, but just cast it when you need it, or even buy the Shield Amulet, which is available early on, is quite cheap and can be recharged.

I still prefer the idea of being able to wear elven chain to save a spell slot and not to have to buff for "ordinary" encounters
    Uhm they stack. Shield creates a magical shield and Armor a magical Armor so they do stack. Together with mirror Image and Blur your mage becomes a great tank even without Stone Skin.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Darkcloud said:

Uhm they stack. Shield creates a magical shield and Armor a magical Armor so they do stack. Together with mirror Image and Blur your mage becomes a great tank even without Stone Skin.
    No, actually, they don't stack.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    You're thinking 3rd edition. Shield creates an armor bonus of 4 and gives an additional amount vs missile weapons. Armor just creates a 6 armor bonus. And only the highest armor bonus is used.

Now in 3rd edition, shield DOES create a shield bonus which stacks with an armor bonus.
    BTW a fighter/mage (or Bard with a Buckler) can of course use a physical shield (the item) with either the Armour or Shield spell, and this *does* stack