Skip to content

Save Khalid and Increase party size and XP

For Baldur's gate, can you try to increase the party size and xp( for Baldur's gate 2 as well). Also is their a way to have a timeline to save Khalid in Baldur's gate 2?
Porcelyn

Comments

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    @Aosaw I thought it two seconds before I read it...first lol of the day.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    As per Trent Oster and CameronTofer, the party-size limit is hard-coded so many times it would require an excessive amount of work to unhard-code it. Besides, the game's really balanced for a party of six people, so adding more would make it way too easy.
    [Deleted User]
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    why would you need/want more than 6 people anyway?
  • iankirtsiankirts Member Posts: 17

As per Trent Oster and CameronTofer, the party-size limit is hard-coded so many times it would require an excessive amount of work to unhard-code it. Besides, the game's really balanced for a party of six people, so adding more would make it way too easy.

Then you could make the game harder with more then six party members
    Itomon
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited December 2012

The technical reason is legitimate, but if anything having significantly more people in the party than 6 would make the game significantly harder. If you took along every available NPC I doubt you would ever even level up.
    ArchaosXavioria
  • iankirtsiankirts Member Posts: 17
    Communard said:

The technical reason is legitimate, but if anything having significantly more people in the party than 6 would make the game significantly harder. If you took along every available NPC I doubt you would ever even level up.
    If you raise the XP given in the game, the NPC's would leve up at the same rate as having six players.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    I think the game is much easier with 3 or 4 instead of six. A fighter/cleric, some form of non-multi fighter or paladin, and a thief/mage and you level so fast that only the hardest fights require planning.

More than six would probably make the game harder.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Could we make Khalids death more horrible and graphic instead?
    Xavioria
  • dreambleddreambled Member Posts: 48
    You know it's threads like this that make me want to see a 3D, third person view adaption of Baldur's Gate. Something where you can limit party size, but that's just for the people that you take with you, you still have everyone you want to recruit with you (ala Dragon Age and other BioWare titles of the like) ...

Because yeah, unless they create an entirely new game or can somehow implement a party camp or selection screen, I don't see this happening.
  • Party size? Even now I play just with charname and 3 others (Imoen, Neera, Branwen) to level up faster :D
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    dreambled said:

You know it's threads like this that make me want to see a 3D, third person view adaption of Baldur's Gate. Something where you can limit party size, but that's just for the people that you take with you, you still have everyone you want to recruit with you (ala Dragon Age and other BioWare titles of the like) ...

Because yeah, unless they create an entirely new game or can somehow implement a party camp or selection screen, I don't see this happening.

I see one big problem. For this to work you would need to make XP fixed regardless of active party and with that solo runs are a lot less fun.
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    but then technically you wouldn't be able to romance Jaheira :(
  • dreambleddreambled Member Posts: 48
    Darkcloud said:

I see one big problem. For this to work you would need to make XP fixed regardless of active party and with that solo runs are a lot less fun.

That is true, though the challenge of doing a solo run would still be there. But yes, there is always something to be sacrificed in order to gain something else when you do that. I guess it would come down to who enjoys the interactions more versus who enjoys the challenge of a solo campaign?
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2012
    FFG said:

but then technically you wouldn't be able to romance Jaheira :(

Hey! My husband's dead... next!

I guess it's still a better lovestory than Twilight.
    elminsterBarfbeardXavioriamoopy
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Flashburn said:

Riolathel said:

why would you need/want more than 6 people anyway?

So I could take every single companion with me so I could finally see everyone's banters and interactions with other NPCs. And so I could finally kill The Five at the final battle of Ascension without resorting to cheats.
    ... You had to cheat to beat that? Hmm.
    I think both requests being made here are... a little silly. I guess there's really no way to say that without sounding mean, except maybe to preface it with a "I don't mean to sound mean, but..."

On the first part (save Khalid), this is such a critical part of the story from the very beginning of BG2 that, essentially, what you're asking for is so much more than simply inserting a half-orc blackguard and a few extra quests.

One must ask oneself, what does saving Khalid for use in BG2 actually *do*, both from a player standpoint and from a storytelling standpoint? For the former, you don't really get anything useful for having Khalid around. He actually wasn't that great a character, and in terms of the warriors you could choose from to build your BG2 party, Khalid doesn't really have anything that makes him stand out as someone you would choose over Korgan, or Minsc, or Keldorn -- or, hell, even Anomen.

From a storytelling standpoint, Khalid's being alive either entirely negates one of the three original romance options for male characters, or else makes it kinda creepy and weird. Consider: with Khalid alive, you have two options, either his being alive is a condition that switches off the possibility of Jaheira romance, which involves going in as a programmer and setting all of these "if/then" flags and then extensively testing to make sure that everything runs smoothly with this new major change... or, option two, you ignore the Jaheira romance entirely, and leave it in as an option along with Khalid's resurrection.

"H-h-hey guys, I'm al-l-l-live again! -- oh. So, y-y-you're like, dating my wife now? Hmm. Well. Okay!"

As for upping the party limit... no. Just, no. Both because it would be so much more work foisted onto the developers, and because it's one of those things that you'd think, in principle, would be cool... but, really, isn't very. It just means I'm going to be hearing that I need to gather my goddamn party before venturing goddamn forth way more often than I'd like.
    darthchair
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    moopy
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited December 2012
    dreambled said:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/167/index/3120312/37 You're welcome. ;)

Fan remake of Baldur's Gate 1 that took them around 6 years to make, plus the expansion, plus all the unfinished quests and everything, for Neverwinter Nights 2. Though it's still not fully ready. They are almost into the beta phase.

And there's a console command that you can enter to disable party limits and you can take EVERYONE. Though the game will run like crap, even more because of it's engine, but mosly because of having around 25 characters running around and bumping into everything.

Love or hate NwN2, it made remakes such as these, possible and this is a labor of love. Plus there's an Icewind Dale remake already out on the NW Nexus.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64

As for upping the party limit... no. Just, no. Both because it would be so much more work foisted onto the developers, and because it's one of those things that you'd think, in principle, would be cool... but, really, isn't very. It just means I'm going to be hearing that I need to gather my goddamn party before venturing goddamn forth way more often than I'd like.

you know there's a mod for silencing the venturing forth voice. ;)

As for upping the party limit, I can see where the OP is coming from. While I try to keep to a total party size of 5, so that I have room to temporarily pick up new party members, there's so many good NPCs to choose from (some of which are paired with other NPCs, thus taking 2 slots) that it's annoying when you've got all six slots full and you come across another interesting NPC but no room for them (such as when you are in the middle of Cloakwood and you've got Coran, Eldoth, Faldorn, and Yesick all coming your way) you're either trudging back and forth to your NPC holding area (usually the FAI for me) to leave someone off or else your leaving NPCs that you might want to use all over the map and then have to try and remember things like "where did I leave Imoen this time?" when you finally make room to pick them back up.

iankirtsItomon
  • FallenShadowzFallenShadowz Member Posts: 8
    An increased party size would be very interesting. I know, you can play with only 2 or 3 party member in order to level up faster, but I personally prefer travelling with as many members as possible. And the current interface of BG:EE looks to me as if the party size could be increased to 7 without problems...

And to the Khalid topic, saving Khalid may have a significant impact on Jaheira's dialogues and story line. I'd love to have Khalid survive for I really like him (yes, believe it or not :) ), but the effort would be humongous.
    iankirtsItomonFallen_Baron
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    A resurrected Khalid would change a lot in the SoA part. Too much I guess and think it is best to let things be as they are.

Party size has been a topic of more than one post and it is something to consider. However it is not easily implemented as I understand. Apparently, technical matters makes it complicated and time consuming. The other issue is game balance. Both BG1 and 2 are designed for a 6 member party, adding more characters require considerable additions and tweakings to most encounters in the game (also time consuming).

Concerning game balance, one option would be to make the party size selectable at game start. There could be a check box for 7 or 8 party members, with a warning sign saying that a party size of 7 or 8 makes the game too easy. What is more fun i a personal matter, though, and I would like to see a possibility to have a larger party, but not as a standard feature.
    Selaboc said:

As for upping the party limit, I can see where the OP is coming from. While I try to keep to a total party size of 5, so that I have room to temporarily pick up new party members, there's so many good NPCs to choose from (some of which are paired with other NPCs, thus taking 2 slots) that it's annoying when you've got all six slots full and you come across another interesting NPC but no room for them (such as when you are in the middle of Cloakwood and you've got Coran, Eldoth, Faldorn, and Yesick all coming your way) you're either trudging back and forth to your NPC holding area (usually the FAI for me) to leave someone off or else your leaving NPCs that you might want to use all over the map and then have to try and remember things like "where did I leave Imoen this time?" when you finally make room to pick them back up.

You know... "NPC Holding Area" might, itself, be the answer to this. Do you suppose that, maybe, instead of upping the party size limit, a Party Camp mechanic (ala Dragon Age) might be worked in somehow? IIRC, in BG2 the Copper Coronet sort of served this purpose for some of the characters (memory's foggy on this point)... the Friendly Arm would be perfect for BG1: when you ditch someone they trudge back to the FAI on their own and you can pick them up later (if only to sell all the loot you stuffed into their bags before you sent them packing).
    Itomon
  • Darth_SkippyDarth_Skippy Member Posts: 37
    I noticed when I booted Neera, she did go to the Friendly Arm. so, um, why not have that mechanic for some of the NPCs in BG2:EE or even patch it in for BG:EE? if not "I'm head to the Friendly Arm" at least, "you can find me at if you change your mind."
    Sixheadeddogmoopy

I noticed when I booted Neera, she did go to the Friendly Arm. so, um, why not have that mechanic for some of the NPCs in BG2:EE or even patch it in for BG:EE? if not "I'm head to the Friendly Arm" at least, "you can find me at if you change your mind."

Agree + Like.