Skip to content

Gamma and Brightness Adjustment

The Display Performance controls consist of two radio buttons. Please add in the sliders that traditional BG included for gamma and brightness controls. Many of the screens are so dark that I cannot determine where my characters are walking, what's a wall and what's path, where's that trapped chest, etc. I've forced brightness with the *.ini file, but the screen becomes UGLY--and the gamma changes are reset to zero when the game is started. That solution does not work long-term.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I am a little concerned that there is no Brightness/Contrast setting in game under the graphics section of the options. Some areas can get pretty darn dark when at night and in the shroud. I often find I have trouble seeing the landscape and have to guess where I can click. I would also prefer to not have to adjust my monitor every single time I booted/closed the game.
  • DilidorDilidor Member Posts: 14
    Tresset said:

I am a little concerned that there is no Brightness/Contrast setting in game under the graphics section of the options. Some areas can get pretty darn dark when at night and in the shroud. I often find I have trouble seeing the landscape and have to guess where I can click. I would also prefer to not have to adjust my monitor every single time I booted/closed the game.

Tresset, you can do a work-around, as I do, by forcing brightness in the Baldurs.ini file, found in your Documents/Baldur's Gate-Enhanced Edition folder. Open it with Notepad, then find the following:

'Program Options', 'Brightness Correction', '0'

Change 0 to 5 or 10, and you'll find things substantially brighter--and ugly as sin. But at least you'll be able to see what your characters are doing.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Hrrmm. I figured there may be a work around there. The "ugly as sin" part doesn't sound fun though. I was actually going to put this in a new discussion until I was informed there was already one on this topic. Honestly when I first opened the game I went right to the options. When I got to graphics I kind of stared blankly at the screen thinking "2 buttons? Thats it?" I suppose there isn't much need for most graphic options given the graphic intensity level of this game but still...
  • DilidorDilidor Member Posts: 14
    Tresset said:

...I went right to the options. When I got to graphics I kind of stared blankly at the screen thinking "2 buttons? Thats it?"

Yup, I had the same reaction. "Surely," I grumbled to myself, "there must be a slider here that I just can't see." I dragged the mouse all around the black screen.... nope. Nothing. Just two stupid radio buttons for things that nobody adjusts in the first place.

Most software and operating systems nowadays go to great lengths to accommodate people with disabilities. What about us folks (speaking for myself) with glasses like Coke bottles?

We need those sliders back!
  • dwisardwisar Member Posts: 6
    I am new to this and am playing on iPad. Is it possible for me to do the graphics fix, I don't know how to find the ini file on an iPad. Any help very welcome as I find it so dark I can not really see what I am doing.