Skip to content

Having problems killing an enemy? Check this thread for help first (Spoiler Warning)

2»

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2012
    @Tresset

Note that as Silence does not cause him to become hostile, there is no reloading necessary, so this is entirely doable in a hardcore run. Saving at a -5 when his base save is a 1 means that he fails on a 6, or, on average, after only four attempts. A cleric can quite easily have four level two spells by the time it's Shandy time, so this can potentially even be done on a single attempt.

Edit: Likewise Wand of Paralysation doesn't prevent him from turning hostile, and only requires, on average, six or so charges to work.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    Or you can use secret word with your wizard, bought from the magic store in Baldur's Gate to take away his globe, and then pommel him with skull traps or magic missiles. Might require a few wizards or a wild mage.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168

A brief guide for Aec'Lectec may be useful. Just mention that deathgaze is dispellable and can be protected against by gaze protection like Potions of Mirrored Eyes. A note about his respawn ability could be useful, but just about everyone will figure that out on their own.

Here's a neat trick I just figured out. I defeated Aec'Letec (first try!) & immediately saved, but Dynaheir was dying and was one round from succumbing to Death Gaze. That's not long enough to do a dispel ( I tried several times -- I even tried killing her so that she could at least be raisable, but she had too many hit points) -- so I had Imoen, who was still hasted, shoot her with an Arrow of Dispelling. Problem solved!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Those arrows of dispelling work wonders. Strip a mage of all those protections immediately. But I wonder... with the dispel rule change are those arrows weaker now?
  • HunterOfBountyHunterOfBounty Member Posts: 38
    I want a guide on how to solo Aec'Letec with a solo halfling Wizard Slayer :)
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Tresset said:

Come to think of it... One of the absolute hardest enemies in the game to kill is: THAT ROTTON STUPID BOUNTY HUNTER MAGE THAT CASTS MIRROR IMAGE AND THEN HORROR ON YOU AT THE FRIENDLY ARM! *ahem* That guy usually gives me hell because of how weak the party is at the time. I know of no reliable way to combat this guy. Assuming you want to follow the plot and go straight for the Friendly Arm (like I assume most beginners will) what is the best way to beat him? Is there any way at all? Aside from luck?

Use Imoens Wand of Magic Missiles and shot him just when he starts to cast his spells.
    Easy as Irish shepherds pie.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Drink a potion of Magic Protection to automatically pass every save, drink a potion of Haste, then simply kite him whilst killing his 1-UPs with arrows of detonation before killing him with standard +2 Sling Bullets.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624

Use Imoens Wand of Magic Missiles and shot him just when he starts to cast his spells.
    Easy as Irish shepherds pie.

Not easy to prevent Tarnesh from casting his Mirror Image, unless you launch the missile/bullet/arrow before he actually starts talking - but that would be a little too much. Once he is protected by his images, you will most likely have to save vs horror. It is a bummer indeed for a lvl.1 party, I always avoid the FAI for a while on a no-reload.
  • HunterOfBountyHunterOfBounty Member Posts: 38
    Pantalion said:

Drink a potion of Magic Protection to automatically pass every save, drink a potion of Haste, then simply kite him whilst killing his 1-UPs with arrows of detonation before killing him with standard +2 Sling Bullets.
    Those potions can not be used by a Wizard Slayer, or at least they should not be. I think the only potions they can use are Healing Potions, Elixirs of Health, and Antidotes.On another note, I did find that Imoen's Wand of Magic Missiles can be used by a Wizard Slayer. This also applies to the Kazgaroth items at High Hedge. I guess the way Wizard Slayers are implemented oversights such as these should be expected. The challenge remains open.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    For anyone who didn't read this thread until after the Greater Wolfwere had gained game-breaking regeneration, like I did, and who had no saves from before that happened, like me, here's what I did to murder the bejesus out of that guy. Here's what you need.

-One CLUAconsole
    -One arcane magic user
    -One meatshield, preferably someone with high max HP.

First off, murder the inital wolfweres. Then, get the Greater Wolfwere to attack your high HP character. Pull him into the cabin of the ship, in the far upper corner of the map. Then, open the console. You'll need about 10-15 skull trap scrolls (item code scrl1p). You'll probably need to CTRL+R your shield character a few times to keep them alive.

Begin casting the skull traps, in the middle of the room. Try to stack them on top of each other. After they're all set up, CTRL+J your mage or bard away to safety. That's the warp key, so have your arcane user selected, then move the mouse to somewhere safe on the floor

Next, get yourself a potion of magic blocking (potn33) for your character being attacked by that bugged monster. Drink it, and walk that sucker into your pile'o'skulls. He'll die and you'll get the XP! Hooray!