Skip to content

Icewind Dale : Enhanced Edition

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

..and that seemed to be all that IWD brought to the mix.

That's just not true.. there IS more than just hack & slash in both IWD games.. just one example.. Goblin Warren, Level 1 (IWD2).. you get tons of experience if you navigate the Warren without alerting/killing any of the five clans there!!!

• NeragNerag Member Posts: 4
    I'd love it but after BG2: EE I'd rather wait for BG3
    Merlin
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Kurumi - agree to disagree there. I see it as a linear hack-slash with little to interest me from an RP or story telling perspective. That opinion is as valid as any other; you couldn't pay me to play the game again, let alone purchase and download it. Others obviously see it differently.
  • phillon1982phillon1982 Member Posts: 2
    Icewind Dale 1 (& its expansions of course) as well as Icewind Dale 2 were masterpieces. I loved them to bits! I would want both in enhanced editions! They are an excellent partner to the other IE games (BG series & PST). Please make it happen Beamdog/Overhaul games!
    CalmarVhailorShadowdemonMerlin
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    1. i would love a new game instead of old stories.
    2. if it is possible to convert the iwd dataset to a common engine (actually yeah, it is possible), then... convert it to the existing bg(2):ee engine.
    lolien
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    So basically, add 24 joinable npc in the game, add 8 romances and everyone will be happy. You can also work on the pre-generated party but I'm pretty sure that the 'contract' will not allow that.

Creating npc is something that is really enjoyable so the hard part will be to add funny/dramatic/stoic/etc dialogues regarding a lot of situations for each of them. Add a quest for each of them that add a lot of background to the story and BINGO!

Yes, I love IWD and IWD2 because this is not only a matter of 'fantastic immersive rpg world' but also a great game mechanism and I enjoy each fight.
  • EldmoreEldmore Member Posts: 22
    With more NPCs Create a deeper storyline
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    icewind dale with good multiplayer support would be great, because it's definitely more geared up for that. i played it through SP and it was okay. basically a very linear, very limited story version of BG. it was only good because it used the infinity engine and because i never played IWN MP it never felt great...so maybe depending on BG:EE MP
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    @CamDawg: I ought to admit that (while the original animation solution was mine) the current version draws pretty heavily on Infinity Animations.

Actually, the whole thing was a pretty hilarious case of the sunk costs fallacy. Originally I wrote a tool to sort out the animations. Then it seemed a shame to let it go to waste, so I had a go at the rest of the mod. Along the way, the original animation solution ended up pretty much abandoned...
    lolien
  • barisakbaybarisakbay Member Posts: 5
    It is possible to play it with improved graphics and newer DnD rules using a NWN2 module painstakingly produced by fans. Just to let you know.
  • mirkmirk Member Posts: 15
    Ice Wind Dale is not even the half of the Game that Baldur's Gates is. I would not waste my time nor money on enhanced version of it.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355

It is possible to play it with improved graphics and newer DnD rules using a NWN2 module painstakingly produced by fans. Just to let you know.

Thank you, yes i knew that, i even tried it. It's a great work by the fans i agree. And thanks for the info

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Icewind Dale, while very different sort of a game from Baldur's Gate (much less plot, much more hack&slash), is no less entertaining, and I'd love to see it updated.

Really, I think the Black Pits would've worked better for it, considering it's all about beating things up too, with a party you made yourself.
  • VaryahenVaryahen Member Posts: 224
    In a future...after BG 3.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'd *love* to see Icewind Dale enhanced with playable half-orcs and kits (especially a new "Hand of Auril" kit. Admit it - nothing would be more immersive for Icewind Dale than the possibility to play as an cleric of the Frostmaiden! :D ). Adding recruitable NPC's would be awesome as well. They really would breath new life to the stale player group.

But please, oh revered Overhaul, *please* work on Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition first!
    Merlin
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Would be great to play the IWD EE.
    But is there anything to enchant?
    There are no playable NPCs, weak story etc.

Better wait for the BG2 EE. As soon as possible!
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    DarkDogg said:

So the entire point of BG:EE was adding a few new NPCs?
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Chow said:

DarkDogg said:

So the entire point of BG:EE was adding a few new NPCs?
    Yeap + new interface :-)
  • MunchkinXQMunchkinXQ Member Posts: 25
    Not worth the effort.
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    Hmm, maybe. I'd rather see all of BGII done first before considering anything else.
    lolien
  • MailonMailon Member Posts: 1
    Nop, the game is too linear
  • KaterinaKaterina Member Posts: 94
    YESSSSSS I love Icewind Dale & Icewind Dale II we can play a Drow etcetera the music, fight this game is intense
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    ICEE would be great! *__*
    Merlin
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Without companion interaction, it was easy for me to get bored...halfway through the game, I just dropped it. IWD had its moments for me, but it just wasn't enough to get me hooked. Probably because I came from the likes of Baldur's Gate, and my bar of expectation's set too high. However, I played with no mods installed...and it's only now that I saw the NPC mod, and I have to say...it looks very promising! If the EE would incorporate that mod and polishes it, then yes I guess.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    As I've said about this EE, I'll say here, if they can 'enhance' the game in ways MODDERS CANNOT, then I'll consider it. Giving it a BG2 or IWD2 ruleset isn't enough because we have Icewind Gate!

There's even party member mods. So, what could be done to 'enhance' the game? Maybe if they un-hardcode some stuff, THAT would be wonderful and a huge enhancement. If not, it's a copypasta and a bit of a scam.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I'm currently in the middle of finishing Icewind Dale :)

I vote yes, it's a pretty cool game. Just wish there were more rest stops to clean up your inventory
    Merlin
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Yes, but not at the expense BG2EE or BG3!
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    You mean, would I like to see more epic RPGs on my iPad? Hell bloody yes.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I would love to see a IWD EE. It was made on a stripped down BG2 game engine. I would like to see it at its full potential running under the BG2 ToB game engine.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Definitely, including all the races, classes, kits, and items combined from BG1/2. It would also be easier to integrate new adventures within the game, given its dungeon crawler nature.