Skip to content

eyefinity/surround

MrEman985MrEman985 Member Posts: 0
edited October 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Was wondering if BG was going to support either of them, didnt see anything in the forums unless I completly missed it. Also, if there is support it would be nice to be able to move the task bars around, it get kinda annoying when you have a map on one screen and character menu on another.

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    Keep in mind that a game does not need to distinctly support this technology for the basic functionality to work with games.

Basically all you can expect from BG:EE in Eyefinity/Surround is for the game to be scaled across the monitors, just like the desktop. There will be no support for monitor specific UI or 3D, etc. As an example of specific monitor features, some FPS games can detect multi-monitor setups and set the GUI to only be on the center screen even with the game being rendered on 3 or more monitors.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Hello! Currently we have no plans for this support - we don't have one in-office, so, building for it without having it is kind of difficult. There's always the possibility in the future, but at the moment the answer is no as we focus on other core features.
  • BENVILHAVENBENVILHAVEN Member Posts: 25
    Hi,
    I run a surround configuration running at 5760*1080 and this renders my game unplayable.
    If I run the game in full screen mode it trys to scale to this resolution, which it can't. Instead it sits mostly on one screen (the left) and partly on another (the middle), with this big black band of physical monitor hardware in the middle of the screen.

If i run in windowed mode the mouse pointer keeps running off the side of the window and i can't scroll the map or window, the scroll zone is tiny.

Is anyone else experiencing this monitor straddling behavior. The only solution I can think of is to disable surround for this game, which I won't do, considering how much trouble it was to set up in the first place.

Anyone have any other ideas? Why aren't we allowed to change the resolution ourselves?

Surely the worst that could happen is we degrade our own visual performance, and isn't that our own problem. There needs to be a way to turn this auto detect off.
  • ChetChet Member Posts: 64
    ATI's CCC is not the best, but I would not say it would be difficult to switch the modes around as needed. I avoid if possible, but do flip my screens around every once in a while.

Have you tried putting your monitors in portrait mode? That gives a 3240x1920 resolution, which I find better for most games. (I have not tried BG:EE though -- I am waiting for the Android version.)

I'm curious because that is how I have my monitors currently configured.
    Its NVidias control panel that is a headache to set up surround. I have an additional display, and I physically have to unplug cables just to get it to set up right. I haven't tried portrait mode.
    We have different hardware then. I have the ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series with 3 Toshiba monitors attached. I can't say I'm a fan of the Toshiba monitors, but I have preferred ATI graphics cards for my PCs.

I'd love to see a screen shot at 3240x1920 or 5760x1080 if anyone gets it working. It may tempt me to get the Windows PC version.
    edited December 2012
    I dont think anyone will get it working its not designed to scale up that far. It scales to about half of the 5760 *1080. It needs to be able to scale to only 1920*1080 and center the image. Would it be so hard to check for eyefinity/surround resolutions and render so its only on the center screen. The game sits on the left and partly on the center at the moment. Scale down a bit and render black to the left.

Editied for spelling
    @BENVILHAVEN a refurbished 14-year-old game won't run well on my top of the line high-res gaming PC. #firstworldproblems

As far as I can tell the development team have been working on fixing issues people have, this one might not be the top of the list, but I hope they fix this for you -- right after they release the Android version. ;)
    Yeah, they will get to it eventually.
  • shtkckshtkck Member Posts: 22
    I've come to update the masses.

I have an eyefinity set up and how it scales is a manner that I've never seen before.

And I do not mean this in a good way. It essentially it "left justified" and the rest is just black, putting it across the entirety of the left screen and part of the middle, with the bezel running right across it. Unfortunately, I have to run it windowed. Most games that do not support eyefinity still center justify the game and black the left and right screens in eyefinity.

What a shame.
    Have the same issue, had to physically disconnect screens to get the game to work. I did post about it somewhere, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone. The scaling was unlike anything i've ever seen before either.

It should be simple enough to support, given that they already do a resolution detection. Just divide the horizontal by three, scale to that and render black left and right.
    Despite being simple to support, they're not going to. We're niche.

You don't have to physically disconnect the screens though bro, simply run it windowed.
    It's frustrating though because moving the cursor to the edge of the screen often makes for your mouse leaving the window.
    Yeah, and that is exactly why i disconnected the screens, the scroll zone is so small, perhaps i should decrease the dpi on my mouse, but I have this down to a fine are now. Its about a 30 second process to reenable it now. Found i could just turn the screens off, after fidleing with it for 5 minutes to get my configuration set up just right the first time...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Has anyone tried portrait mode? While this is just a bandaid on Beamdog's incompatibility it may scale better.
    My Holiday boredom - Android version release = Me purchasing the PC version

screen shot attached of tutorial... 3240x1920 resolution
    After adding 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',
    The graphics are a little odd, but still appear usable.
    Yeah mine isn't in portrait mode at the moment.
    I suppose it would be worth trying, but my screens are in landscape, I don't particularly feel like standing them on their sides atm, unless I've misunderstood something somewhere...
    My monitors rotate clockwise into the portrait orientation. Not all monitors can, but most newer ones have the capability. Depends on the stand exactly how it works.

So far I like 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0' option better. I like that I can zoom out farther and see large parts of the map. If the blue marble tilled to fill the blank space in the UI, it would be perfect.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    It may not be what you are looking for, but I did submit a feature request to the tracker to improve usability of windowed mode so that is more of a realistic solution.