Skip to content

Sorcerer Kits a possibility?

I was wondering if it would be possible to create sorcerer kits which would be actually closer to a multi/dual class? Since from what I know it's extremely hard to make dual class sorcerers right? Near impossible.

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'm going to say no since Sorcerers are like wizards and their class is hard coded.
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    I don't think there's a way to add kits to sorcerers, but you might be able to dual class them via Shadowkeeper. I haven't tried, that might just crash out for all I know.

You could create a "scripted kit" though. Basically fire a script that makes all the relevant changes. It wouldn't be able to do everything a kit can do, but it would be close.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Editing Sorceror to allow kits, dual or multi classing is very, very hard (I've seen only one reported case of Sorceror/Monk multiclass). However, Sorceror class can be used as a template for other spellcaster kit, i.e. using sorceror spell casting system. An example is Druidic sorceror, a druid kit.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/132-druidic-sorcerer-kit/

Personally I want to create a Favoured soul from 3.5, so that priest can cast like sorcerors.
    LordSoverignAllbrotherAnton
    @LordSoverign What is it that you had in mind, specifically? I've had a few ideas about this, but only for some rather limited tweaks so far.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    didn't they say they were going to un-hard code stuff like this for bg:ee?
    Some of it, and they never specified what. Converting things like this is not a trivial task, so they had to pick priorities. More *may* get untangled in future updates, though given the amount of work involved in something like that I would not get my hopes up.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    I want a sorcerer with dragon blood floating through my veins giving me both bhaal and dragon power!
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    the biggest problem of all concerning the overhaul of BG2 is that beamdog couldn't get the whole sources files of the Infinity engine if I'm not mistaken... that's why they were so limited =/

And imho will never see the engine updated so that the hard coded class limitation disappear =(
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2012

(...) wizards and their class is hard coded.

You can create a clabma** (see kitlist) and add what you want for personalize the kits.

didn't they say they were going to un-hard code stuff like this for bg:ee?

They said a lot of thing...
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
    TJ_Hookertommy
  • LordSoverignLordSoverign Member Posts: 12
    leeho730 said:

Editing Sorceror to allow kits, dual or multi classing is very, very hard (I've seen only one reported case of Sorceror/Monk multiclass). However, Sorceror class can be used as a template for other spellcaster kit, i.e. using sorceror spell casting system. An example is Druidic sorceror, a druid kit.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/132-druidic-sorcerer-kit/

Personally I want to create a Favoured soul from 3.5, so that priest can cast like sorcerors.

I had the same idea and I was thinking that perhaps this can be done as a priest kit.

@LordSoverign What is it that you had in mind, specifically? I've had a few ideas about this, but only for some rather limited tweaks so far.

Well I was planning on making something I called "Baldur's Gate D&D Rules 2.75 Edition" (since BG I is based on 2.5 as far as I know, but it already mixes in some classes from later editions). Which would include new dual class options and races. All balanced and not OP or anything.

Anyway about the sorcerer kits:

I was wondering if there's a possibility of making a sorcerer/warrior type kit. Something like a multi class, maybe by replacing some really weird combinations like "Cleric/Ranger" or just try to simply make it a wizard kit (probably impossible like you mentioned).

I wanted to play a Wizard/Warrior but also have a kit added to my Warrior main class. Like Kensai.
  • kwieciakwiecia Member Posts: 2
    If it works as it did in the original game you can have sorcerer kits, you just can't make them selectable on the character creation screen. You cant dual-class or muliticlass sorcerers, but you can add some abilities from other classes/kits to your custom sorcerrer kit and call it "sorcerer/monk".

I see one problem with making a favored soul. Each time sorcerer levels up he has to choose new spells, and all sorcerers use the same list here, so your FS would have to have access to arcane spells.

Druidic sorcerer is a grate mod, but it is also very old - many things could be done today in more elegant way. Don't use this mod as a reference to what is and what isn't possible.

But any serious modding requires weidu to be fixed first.
    Could a separate spell list be made for the FS? If not there's 1 really good alternative. I think a Favored soul could be made with pre-set spells which would be simply listed as special abilities. Like berserk for the Berserker kit.

Could a separate spell list be made for the FS? If not there's 1 really good alternative. I think a Favored soul could be made with pre-set spells which would be simply listed as special abilities. Like berserk for the Berserker kit.

It is possible. One simply needs to copy Priest spells, modify the names, and add them to Sorceror spell books...

• valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    I'd love a BG favored soul. My wet dream would be a FS/Sorceror that doesn't just add priest spells to Sorc list but functions like a Cleric/Mage, with separate spellbooks. My understanding is that this has been so far technically impossible, though.
    edited December 2012
    I'll have a look at Druidic sorcerer kit (based on sorcerer but is a druid kit)... The mod solved the problem by adding new spells (actually copy-pasted from the Druid and Priest spells) for the kit. The Druidic sorcerer can cast druid spells such as Heal, Nature's Beauty, Regeneration etc...

The biggest huddle would be to handle all the weapon proficiency, usable items, and spell lists...

Spells use existing texts so that won't be too bad but still one needs to manually add each of them to the kit... a tedious task. But it is definitely doable (at least, theoretically) to create Favored Soul priest kit.
    Post edited by leeho730 on
    leeho730 said:

It is possible. One simply needs to copy Priest spells, modify the names, and add them to Sorceror spell books...

But then won't the sorcerer have those spells as well?

The thing is I'd love to make them all separate.
    I've tested druidic sorcerer kit. The druidic sorcerer gets spells from sorcerer spellbook upon levelup, but with HLA there are several abilities to insert some druid spells into the current druidic sorcerer. It's pretty messy if you ask me.

If you wish to have them separated, then we shall pray that BG2EE would remove some of the hard-coded restrictions. But then Overhaul will need to remove quite a few number of hard-coded restrictions:

1) expand class selection window to allow more than 11 classes;

2) allow new classes possibility to use sorcerer spell casting system and separate spell selection tables.

Someone has talked about possibility of replacing sorcerer class with favored soul class as a solution...

But in general if you wish to play as favored soul, NWN2 is the only answer...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    neoesprit said:

the biggest problem of all concerning the overhaul of BG2 is that beamdog couldn't get the whole sources files of the Infinity engine if I'm not mistaken... that's why they were so limited =/

And imho will never see the engine updated so that the hard coded class limitation disappear =(

As far as I know the only thing that was lost was the source art, making updated animations impossible without completely re-doing them. To the best of my knowledge, the only thing stopping them from un-hardcoding stuff is the difficulty and time involved in doing so.
    Well it's not about making a favored soul. Just the general options and flexibility. Like I said I want to create something I called "Baldur's Gate D&D Rules 2.75 Edition". Simply redesign all the classes. Give paladins the ability to master almost every weapon + allow them to get more priest spells, add more dual class options - especially for Sorcerers (which is nearly impossible I know). I also want to redesign tanking and armors.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but I also wanted to make the none magical heavy armors increase your AC a little bit, thus making you easier to hit, but at the same time decreasing the damage you receive. Make the opposite for leather and robes. No AC penalty, but almost no damage reduction.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Thread Necromancy go!

Anyway, I suspect that the latest entry has made it easier to mod Sorcerers. Hopefully someone smarter than I will be able to give it a go.
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    edited February 2013
    It is now just as easy to add sorceror kits to the character creation screen as any other class, i just tried it. Sorceror kits will be coming in the future.
    mars0124TomeIllustair
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Fantastic, thanks very much for the update. Just out of interest, would it be possible to create a Fighter/Sorcerer kit? (combine perks of both but double XP required to level)
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    Thank you @requiem! This is good news to me. Now porting the Druidic sorcerer when I get the knowledge won't be nearly as much of a challenge.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Would it be possible to create Wild Socrerer now? I'm not quite sure how the wild mage effect on normal casting is achieved and quickly browsing through the game files doesn't enlighten me.
    edited February 2013
    Funny thing is... Dual class button works for Human Dragon Disciple but it does not actually allow PC to dual class. Darn!

Oversight, perhaps. A small bug in DUALCLAS.2DA
  • FailGeekFailGeek Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2013
    @Bercyon There's a way of making casters have their spells cause wild magic surges through effect opcode 280 which can be set to apply to all spells or to next spell cast, but it doesn't apply the +- 5 level thing.
    Post edited by FailGeek on
    Giving wild Mage kit to sorcerer does seem to work, though. Spells such as Nahal's work correctly and sometimes old sorcerer gets wild surge when casting spell normally.