Skip to content

Charm person or mammal; well its half right...

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
edited December 2012 in Fixed
Expected Behavior: Spell functions on any person or animal class character
Current Behavior: Spell automatically fails to charm any animal (animals currently not valid targets for the spell)

I noticed this when Jaheira tried to charm a couple of cave bears. Spell failed and no save was displayed on the console. This spell currently only works on the "person" class of character.

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    @CamDawg may want to see this.
    I tried this, from 4 casts:
    1 - failed without seeing saving throws
    2 - failed with saving throw
    1 - succeeded
    So, i think the elven stuff might interfere with this, but i don't know how.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited December 2012
    Huh. even if it does succeed sometimes when it fails there should be a saving throw displayed. One way or another this is a bug.
    I couldn't resist some testing too. I got similar results to Avenger_teambg
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'll take a look, thanks.
    Everything's working here.

Keep in mind that elven and half-elven sleep/charm resistance has been implemented, so if their immunity kicks in (90% for elves, 30% for half-elves) you won't even get a save. Firebeard resisted three times (no message) then made a save on the fourth.

Also charmed a cave bear--made his save (got the message) and it worked the second time.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    @CamDawg try charming bears like 10 times. I got the buggy event only 1 in 4 (25% at best). You tried only twice.
    Well, we've got what appears to be a GUI/feedback issue.

Running about 40-50 bear charms (polar, black, brown, cave, didn't matter) I always either succeeded or got a save message. The charm animal effect is present in the spell, so we can rule that out. I finally ran into the no-save-message when I met Kaldran the Bear.

Kaldran has ridiculous saves (3) and I suspect the problem occurs when a spell with save bonuses to the victim (in this case, +3) makes it mathematically impossible for the target to fail their save. Most of the time I'd get a save message, but sporadically would not. I ran into the same problem trying Chromatic Orb (victim saves +6) on Kaldran.

When I removed the save bonus from CPoM I started getting consistent messages again and the occasional success. I think it's time to kick this to the tracker.
    elminsterhook71CrevsDaak