Skip to content

Rancor+1 effect not wearing off

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
edited January 2013 in Fixed
Expected behavior: the +1 bonus to thac0 granted after killing someone should wear off in 24 hours
Current behavior: thac0 bonus not wearing off

I noticed this after traveling for 2 days and some hours and then resting. The effect was still present as my thac0 did not improve after a kill.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    Did it vanish when you swapped the weapon out? Or just the resistance to apply it again was still in effect.

I think the problem is the immunity is permanent (until sword is removed).
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    @CamDawg may want to see this.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Avenger_teambg Nope. I tried swapping it out but the thac0 remained the same as before (boosted) when I put it back on. Also I noticed that any kill with anything while the sword is equipped in a quick weapon slot (including while I'm using a different weapon) will cause the console to proclaim a boost. I'm not sure that is the intended function because it doesn't match the description. I know the boost is working since it did improve my thac0 when I first stole the sword from Dorn.
    Note: My PC was using the sword and not Dorn... not that it should matter I don't think.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Well, this is the problem I predicted in the beta and asked for a fix.

Dorn's sword only shows its message when the thac0 effect is actively removed. If the effect is already active and you kill a creature, it removes the existing bonus (message) and then re-applies it so you have a fresh clock. If the effect is active and you un-equip his sword or select another weapon you lose the bonus (message). If the effect expires, or if you kill something without it active, no message.

I can patch up the messages to be a little more sensible, but it really needs an adjustment to opcode 221.
    Oh, and someone's inserted an unnecessary 206, which also causes a message whenever it's applied.
    And after some experimenting, it looks like 221 was fixed but the 2da wasn't patched. I've finally got Rancor behaving; I'll submit a patch.
    @CamDawg I just realized something... It isn't that the effect won't wear off; actually it wore off long ago and is not boosting anymore! I created a regular 2 hand sword and it had 1 worse thac0 than the rancor after a kill! But if it works properly now then that is good. I just wanted to make sure you fixed the right problem.
    The good news is that everything is now working as expected and I've submitted patches. The bad news is that the current version of Rancor may have left permanent effects on the wielder so you may still have some wonky feedback messages if you use old save games, whenever the new patch rolls out.
    Thats fine. I hope to get Spider's Bane soon anyway.