Skip to content

Which file determines NPC level and placement?

WuKongWuKong Member Posts: 6
I have a newbie question -- I can find the NPC files (e.g. Ajantis is AJANTI.CRE, AJANTI4.CRE, AJANTI6.CRE) but I can't seem to figure what file determines which of those get placed in the proper area (e.g. AR1400 for Ajantis). I can see the NPCLEVEL.2DA file seems to show which version should spawn depending on the Player level, but nothing that shows the default and their appropriate area. I checked the AR1400 script and it seems to just deal with getting rid of the fishermen. (I am just using Ajantis as an example, but my question really pertains to all of the NPCs). Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Try the Baldur.gam file.
  • WuKongWuKong Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at it with NearInfinity, and it seems to list all the NPCs, but nothing with starting location nor with the level check. I thought for user-created NPCs, one mods the area script to add them, but I don't know how this is working for the built-in NPCs?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    npclevel.2da for the originals; mod NPCs are usually scripted into their areas.
    I guess the starting locations of the original NPCs are hard-coded then -- no way to change where they spawn from?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited December 2012
    Sorry, I misread your question. Original NPCs are placed by the gam file with levels set by npclevel.2da. Mod NPCs are usually just scripted into area scripts. All can be adjusted.
    Got it -- thanks guys!