Skip to content

Overhaul should acquire Pool of Radiance?

2»

Comments

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I'm not sure the old style would be so bad. After all, they were able to remake the ancient technology used in early Megaman games for retraux TWICE! I don't think it'd be too hard. Just recode it, add some more classes and it'll be gold... box.
    RAM021
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Oh man! Gold box PoR was the game that got me reading fantasy novels in the first place when I was a kid. I was certain that reading more Forgotten Realms books would help me better understand what was going on in the game.

Well, it both did and didn't... heh. Also got me addicted to fantasy novels. Good times!
    Heya
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Dazzu I definitely want to play that again someday.
    Heya
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Dazzu said:

@LadyRhian I actually had UA and Stronghold 93. They came in a 5 CD set with the first Dark Sun game, Dungeon Hack, and some 5th game that takes place on Mystara and you build an empire.

I don't remember what it was but it was my first big taste of D&D

It was called the AD&D Ultimate Fantasy Pack

For a reference picture: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Fantasy-Pack-Unlimited-Adventures/dp/B001CHVQ1M/ref=pd_sxp_f_i

Awe man I remember that. I loved playing Dungeon Hack, Stronghold, and Fantasy Empires.
  • egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92

I couldn't get the SSI Gold Box-games running on my PC (i'm not DOS(box)-savvy enough). I'm long hoping for GOG to make it playable, but a complete overhaul by Overhaul would be even greater!

Man, you should try. This is extremely easy:

1. Start the DosBox.
    2. Type:

mount c c:/[GAME DIRECTORY]
    c:
    game.exe

3. You're set.

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    GammaLeak said:

From your title I thought you meant the original Gold Box Pool of Radiance (http://www.mobygames.com/game/pool-of-radiance). Now that would be worth an HD overhaul (just, please, keep it turn-based).

The original Gold Box Pool of Radiance series (together with Campions of Krynn) were the first party-based RPGs I really got into, the tactical comabt in these was excellent, though having to draw your own maps was a pain. Would love to see an Infinity engine remake of these!
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I would get seriously excited to see the gold box games re-done.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    If BG:EE is any example, an EE version of those games would be the same game/engine with (essentially) tweaks to run on modern computers and OS/iOS. In those cases, you're probably best off with DOSBox.

Also, I find it unlikely that they'd revamp non-Infinity based games, as that doesn't match the team's expertise.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    I'd love to see PoR:Ruins (...) with infinity engine. The idea for the adventure was an interesting one, but the game technics, the battles etc were really really really annoying. But it would be nice to visit Myth Drannor in a decent way, with normal companions and with no "chess fights" etc.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    GammaLeak said:

From your title I thought you meant the original Gold Box Pool of Radiance (http://www.mobygames.com/game/pool-of-radiance). Now that would be worth an HD overhaul (just, please, keep it turn-based).

That "new" Pool of Radiance. Uh... I think we should all just forget that one even happened. ;^)

I found the turn-based gameplay to be extremely annoying. You couldn't scout ahead with you rogue, because once she was spotted, you'd be trapped in combat mode, spending some 10 turns moving the rest of your party to the battlefield one-by-one and waiting for your foes to approach you one-by-one.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I too will chime in for some silver and gold box love at some point in the future. I play them all with my ultimate collection(contains every single old D&D game like Pool or radiance, curse of the azure bonds, hillsfar etc etc.) once in a while when i'm bored and caught up on all the games i bought. I have issues with a dos box as well but can use it if that particular dos box has good instructions. Ah the good old days of cheesy graphics which would give the devs more time to devote to story.

Nothing beats my 1st playthrough PoR, making maps on graph paper and all that fun stuff i used to enjoy. *sighs*. Often times i find myself missing the good old days of gaming.
    RAM021
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I'm not interested in anymore "re-do's" beyond BG2:EE.

I'm ready for something new.

*awaits BGNext*
    elminster
  • JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43

If BG:EE is any example, an EE version of those games would be the same game/engine with (essentially) tweaks to run on modern computers and OS/iOS. In those cases, you're probably best off with DOSBox.

Also, I find it unlikely that they'd revamp non-Infinity based games, as that doesn't match the team's expertise.

Just because they remade BG in the infinity engine doesn't mean all future remakes would happen in the source engine. The only thing salvagable from the gold box series of games was the bare bones of the story. Much better to recreate that in the infinity engine which is set up for 2nd Ed rules.

Still a damn lot of work and probably not enough name recognition to cash in on for the expense. If Overhaul kickstarted it, I'd throw a bit in the pile & hope for the best.
    RAM021
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

I couldn't get the SSI Gold Box-games running on my PC (i'm not DOS(box)-savvy enough). I'm long hoping for GOG to make it playable, but a complete overhaul by Overhaul would be even greater!

Man, you should try. This is extremely easy:

1. Start the DosBox.
    2. Type:

mount c c:/[GAME DIRECTORY]
    c:
    game.exe

3. You're set.

I got that far: I did get the Pool of Radiance program to start, but I couldn't get past the character creation screen: no button functioned to get me into the game.

edited December 2012
    Justarius said:

Just because they remade BG in the infinity engine doesn't mean all future remakes would happen in the source engine. The only thing salvagable from the gold box series of games was the bare bones of the story. Much better to recreate that in the infinity engine which is set up for 2nd Ed rules.

Still a damn lot of work and probably not enough name recognition to cash in on for the expense. If Overhaul kickstarted it, I'd throw a bit in the pile & hope for the best.

I don't think anyone here expects these to ever be made. It's simply a what do you want for xmas 201? after BG2EE and hopefully bg3 is done and launched.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yes remake PoR2. That game had such potential and was one of the biggest games I ever bought. I but the stupid collectors edition of that pile of dung. Nothing like uninstalling your OS when you uninstall the game. ;)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Honestly I would be most intrigued if they were to pick up various Gold Box series, convert the plot and release them as adventure DLCs for BG:EE/2EE. The engine exists, the plots exist, and the intellectual property is probably a steal for the amount of revenue generated from nostalgia purchases alone.
    Oxford_GuyRAM021
    I did a little checking and as far as licensing or ip goes, unless there's been a change or a buyout already which i couldn't find info on, is unfortunately still owned by interplay, SSI or TSR inc. SSi i think is long gone and interplay is crap these days and none of the games are listed on their site. I believe TSR was bought by wizards of the coast but where the licencing is i've no idea. Hell if i could buy the licence for it for like $1 i'd do it lol. Good practice for my game design and programming class.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    PoR2 was developed by Stormfront Studios and published by Ubisoft.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    The newer Pool of Radiance was both the biggest disappointment in my gaming life and the worst RPG I've ever played.

Now, somebody remaking the Gold Box games would be interesting. I never played them, and while I'm no graphics fetishist, I don't think I could get myself into stuff that old.
    RAM021
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    An infinite engine remake of the gold box games would be cool.

POR2 EE, on the otherhand, not so much
    Oxford_Guy

PoR2 was developed by Stormfront Studios and published by Ubisoft.

Good thing you mentioned that. I'd forgotten all about that remake. I also forgot i owned it! lol. Yup i agree it must have been crap as i've replayed every other old game i have but not that one. It also answers the licensing question as WotC are listed as the licencer. The license for those silver and gold box games must be buried in a dusty old vault at WotC offices, completely forgotten.