Skip to content

Would you prefer to change Minscs weapon skills?

J_L_SeagullJ_L_Seagull Member Posts: 13
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Every time, even with the old game, I get a bit confused with Minsc. Allright, he is mad as a hatter but with such great dual wielding basis as given by the ranger class, why would you ever consider having him wasting skill points on a two-handed weapon. What I propose is letting him max out his dual wielding and have skills for maybe flail/warhammer/axe? What do you all say? It would be a cool addition to him as a character, running around with a handaxe in one hand a flail in the other. Maybe something for BG2?
  1. Would you prefer to change Minscs weapon skills?32 votes
    1. No, leave them as is.
      78.13%
    2. Yes, change them so that dual wielding that actually is the basis of ranger has an effect.
      21.88%

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    It's fine. While rangers do have innate ability with dual-wielding, no one is holding a gun to their head and demanding they do so. Minsc has always had a 2 hded sword his base weapon in BG1, if you want to develop him differently after the fact, feel free to do so.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Please do as you want, but by mod, not by official means.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    This is a stupid poll. Dual wield is standard/common "the norm" for Rangers therefore all rangers even Minsc must dual wield?

Better not give your Elf Thief dagger skill and dagger of venom. Elves should use longswords and shortswords and longbows and shortbows only. /s
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    dwarves must only ever use axes and war hammers. :P I like minsc the way he is
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Shadowkeeper is your friend
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    As he starts out in BG1, you can customize him in a variety of different ways. He's got one pip in maces and one in longbow, as well as two in 2-handers and the base ranger dual-wield.

If you want him to dual-wield effectively, it's a small matter of getting a second point in maces. If you want him to use 2-handers, it's easy to start putting points in that style. And if you want him as an archer, that works too (though I cringe at the thought).

I see no reason to adjust his ability points, though I'm not sure what points he has if you pick him up at higher levels.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Counter-request:

Instead of changing his weapon proficiencies to give him one-handed weapons, why not alter his class-based Two-Weapon Style into Two-Handed Weapon Style? Take away his two free pips in 2-weapon style and put them into 2-handed. It wouldn't be the first time an NPC breaks the rules to get something special, and it would make a lot of sense for Minsc, who is pretty solidly a two-handed berserker in a ranger's body.
  • Darth_SkippyDarth_Skippy Member Posts: 37
    looks like if you want Minsc your way, yer gonna have to Shadowkeeper him.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I did some tinkering and posted my modified Minsc here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13837/minscs-modified-ranger-proficiencies

All I did was change his TWS proficiency to 2-Handed Style.