Skip to content

Themed party compositions

What teams have you ran so far with different NPCs?

I'm running two games side by side. The first is my "spiritual party"

Myself: Cleric of Lathandar
Rasaad
Ajantis
Imoen (tempted to swap for tiax later in the game)
Branwen (tempted to swap for quayle)
Viconia (probably will swap for yeslick)

the second is just an evil party without a particular "theme" as such. way back i ran a female only group (giving khalid the gender swap girdle).
Quartz

Comments

• RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    edited January 2013
    I am running the "Dwarf/Gnomes Party" right now with PC dwarf fighter/thief, Kagain, Yeslick, Quayle, Tiax, Neera (yes, I know Neera is not dwarf but there no other drawves/gnomes available and I wanted a Mage, plus she is romaceable). Kagain & yeslick and Tiax & Quayle do not like each other, but I am about to kill Sarevok, and I have all of them still. Only once Tiax and Quayle came to fight each other, but I reloaded and no fight till then.

In my next playthrough I will try the "Intelligence Party" with NPCs having 15+ intelligence. No NPC with low intelligence will be allowed to join my elite party! I think I will have Safana, Xan, Edwin, Kagain and Viconia. My PC will be a dwarf fighter/cleric.
    Quartz
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    the high-brows! could you even go up to 16 or 17? just to make it the absolutely brainiest lot?! or wouldn't enough NPCs make the cut?
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    I could go to 16+, but that will exclude Kagain and there are no NPCs with 16+ intelligence that are no Mages, Clerics or thieves. The only other front-liner NPC with high intelligence is Shar-Teel and Coran with 14.
    Quartz
    true and you can go back to share-teel and coran after you get the tome intelligence to boost one up to 15.

i think the themed parties are so interesting when it doesn't conform with the 3 up front & back liners. my spiritual party suffers without an arcane spell caster, but for buffs, melee damage, sheer durability and CC it's a really good party.

plus i can't get fog of war and traps don't highlight so thieves are pretty useless (which is why i might drop imoen regardless)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The spiritual theme (for good or evil) is a pretty neat one. Possibilities include:

Ajantis - fiercely devoted to Helm
    Branwen - priestess of Tempus
    Dorn - has made pact with a demon
    Dynaheir - Rashemi witch (seer/shaman)
    Faldorn - Druidic priestess with Uthgardt Barbarian tribe roots (worship of nature spirits and their overgod Uthgar)
    Jaheira - Druidic priestess whose power comes from Nature (worships a deity?)
    Quayle - cleric of Gifos (Baravar)
    Rasaad - monk/worshipper of Selune
    Tiax - cleric of Cyric
    Viconia - priestess of Shar
    Yeslick - cleric of ____? (Moradin?)

i flirted with the idea of getting dorn, but i don't think he's quite as spiritual as the others you've mentioned. maybe the party of faith is more apt, because i didn't think the druids fitted either. it was more about cleric/monk/paladin persuasion. plus imoen because i'm soft and can't dump her. i guess regarding RP, then as a cleric of lathandar (and imoen being my oldest friend) i'm convinced i can convert her and must look after her too!
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Not something I have played with (yet) ;).

The harem party;

Male human CHARNAME
    Imoen, no brother & sister feelings here. Similar age and the most attractive woman in CK.
    Jaheira, you have not seen many elves in CK, there is something exotic about her.
    Viconia, she doesn't seem so extreme as the stories describe the drow, an interesting woman.
    Neera, a young woman with cute voice what isn't there to like.
    Safana, it's not possible to romance her but with her high CHA she belongs in this party.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    A party of nobles:

Ajantis
    Safana
    Skie
    Jaheira
    Viconia
    rdarkenThe_New_RomanceQuartzEnialusMeliamne
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The ankle biters

Qualye
    Monty
    Tiax
    Alora
    Kaigan

Left out Yeslick cause he maybe to lawful for this party.
    TinterQuartz
    @freche i had exactly the same idea! was thinking more as "protector of vulnerable women party"

warrior charname + imoen, viconia, neera, skie, branwen, dynaheir (until you reunite her with minsc)

@jaxsbudgie i like it, quite balanced too actually! is khalid not a noble too?
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    The only real themed-based party I did made was in Temple of Elemental Evil, all were female halflings, every had 'Spicy' in their name and they were all Bards ! :P Didn't succeeded in the temple or was ridiculous hard and made another female halfling party - you might notice my scheme ^^
    They then had 'common' classes and it went very well, still 1 bard was present...every party need 1 decent musician.
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    Keep intending to run all mage party, for fun/different/challenge

F/M PC
    Imoen (dualled)
    Xan
    Quayle
    Xzar
    Edwin

Does fit in a thief, fighter and cleric so has some party balance... though Imoen or Quayle as number 2 tank isn't that balanced. Also one of the few parties in BG1 that won't leave you feelings rich!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited January 2013
    I did an all mage party in original BG/ToTSC - required entire wheels of cheese as I recall including massive quantities of Charms from Algernons cloak- I know we got to cloakwood and we made it through the mines before I got distracted by some other bright idea. The one thing that sticks out in my memory of this group was Xzar having the wolf cloak and shapeshifting to help out with melee (or run away quicker)...

You can see journals of this adventure here:

http://wanderonswarrens.yuku.com/forums/18/Mageling-Madness-or-Me-and-Chullio-Down-By-the-Graveyard

(Note - those forums have been mostly inactive for years)

Edit: after looking at the old journals it seems we did get into BG city before I abandoned the group.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    @mjs if you rescue Dyanheir solo you could just avoid talking to Minsc altogether and keep her.
    ahh, but it would weigh on the charname's conscience knowing that somewhere out there dynaheir's protector was out there looking for her. plus he would see all these women as an obligation, so the fewer he's saddled with the better!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Thinking about a sanity challenged party...

Xzar - completely nuts
    Minsc - not far behind
    Edwin & Tiax - megalomania
    I guess any thief would fit in, cleptomania
    PC - priest of talos
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    The pointy ears:
    CHARNAME - elven stalker
    Xan
    Kivan
    Coran
    Viconia
    And thinking about the 6th, but most likely Neera, since for Jaheria I'd have to kill Khalid I don't like doing that... Or maybe just the 6 elves. Neera always talks so much about being only half-elf anyway.

The thing I'd also love is a gang of chaotic good or neutral chars: Alora, Kivan, Coran, Safana, maybe Neera again for a third time (there's also Garrick and Quayle, but I don't really like them). Only problem is that there are too many thieves, not really good front fighters, only one mage and no healer :( What PC would you suggest for this build?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    deltago said:

The ankle biters

Qualye
    Monty
    Tiax
    Alora
    Kaigan

Left out Yeslick cause he maybe to lawful for this party.

That would actually be a very deadly party...

Xzar - completely nuts
    Minsc - not far behind
    PC - priest of talos

Skie for thief. Let's herself get abused like that.
    I don't think Edwin really qualifies; he's just arrogant.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I have very fond memories of the first time I played the BG series - it was with the BGT mod, so it really felt like this huge epic story that I was going into more or less blind.

I was using an all-female evil team with my PC, Jaheira, Shar-Teel, Imoen, Viconia and a gender-belted Edwin, primarily because I haven't seen a lot of fantasy that told that particular kind of story (ie: there are some great "villainous" fantasy novels like Ari Marmell's "The Goblin Corps", but none I've found where the protagonists are all women).

It worked out great for BG1, but the transition to BG2 messed things up a bit - I was extremely lucky that most of the team found its way back to me again, but I was down a front-line fighter and a thief (since BGT allows you to keep classes and proficiencies consistent in both games, and I never dual-classed Imoen). There were female characters who could fill those roles - namely, Mazzy and Nalia - but they're both Good characters who really didn't fit in with my team. So I ended up bringing Korgan and Yoshimo along; it compromised my meta-story, but given that I eventually got Imoen back and tossed Korgan aside for Sarevok, it all worked out in the end. :)

My EE run's mixed a few things up on account of the romance (which I didn't get to do last time - Anomen? Hell to the no), so now I have Dorn and Kagain as my fighters, Shar-Teel as my dual-classed thief, Viconia as the party healer and Neera for spell support. I'm crossing my fingers for more evil single-class NPCs in BG2EE, though, because I can already see I'm going to have the same problem with party composition...
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    The Amazons of the Sword Coast:

Shar-Teel
    Viconia
    Branwen
    Dynaheir
    Safana
    PC: Female Barbarian

Faldorn would actually be a better Amazon than Dynaheir but I need at least one mage, and with Branwen and Viccy I already have two healers.

Jaheira is also a great dominatrix but would insist on bringing Khalid along. Imoen, Neera and Skie don't exactly strike me as "Amazons". Dynaheir will insist on bringing Minsc but I could "lose" him somewhere in the Basilisk area. ;-)
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @mjs I've actually done a few of these....hrmn....

I once did a "Ranged" party for TuTu.

PC - Fighter - Crossbow
    Minsc - Longbow
    Coran - Longbow
    Imoen - Shortbow
    Kivan - Longbow
    Jaheria - Sling

I have a run as "Edmund Blackadder" from the Blackadder series if he was a blackguard raising an army.

As evil as evil can be in that run. (Low Rep)

Edmund Blackadder (PC - Blackguard)
    Dorn
    Shar-Teel (Dualed to Thief)
    Kagain
    Edwin
    Viconia

I did a Cast of Beserk themed Black Pits Run:

Skull Knight (Blackguard)
    Guts (Beseker)
    Caska (Fighter)
    Griffith (Fighter / Mage / Thief)
    Schierke (Cleric / Illusionist)
    Nosferatu Zodd (Barbarian)

(I was thinking of doing a run with the Cast of Monty Python And the Holy Grail for the Black Pits but didn't because they'd all be Paladins or fighters)

I'm Currently doing a run that's all characters who will be in the next game.

PC (Chaotic Neutral)
    Imoen (Dualed To a Mage at level 6)
    Jaheria
    Viconia
    Neera

What I'm having a tough time with is choosing a 6th party member.

So...I may cut Viconia for Minsc and get Rasaad as well.

But...I kind of Love Vicky. =/

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm able to take Edwin unless I kill Dynaheir, and I'm Chaotic Neutral, not evil.

I think Rassaad is less boring than Minsc and Minsc is way more utilitarian...*shrug* we'll see what happens but I'm leaning Rasaad.
    rdarken said:

Xzar - completely nuts
    Minsc - not far behind
    PC - priest of talos

I was thinking Safana, but Skie makes more sense.
    Edwin thinks he can take on Elminster, that's megalomanic enough.

booinyoureyes

rdarken said:

Xzar - completely nuts
    Minsc - not far behind
    PC - priest of talos

I was thinking Safana, but Skie makes more sense.
    Edwin thinks he can take on Elminster, that's megalomanic enough.

lol Okay, I'll give you that.

Safana could work. Sex-addiction!

Does it count if they're sociopaths? If so, that opens you up to Eldoth, Montaron, and possibly Kagain.
    booinyoureyes
    I had Safana down for histrionic personality disorder; she tries to be liked/wanted by everyone (at least males), but sex addiction is a good call, too.

Sociopaths... not sure if Eldoth and Kagain really qualify. Eldoth is probably more a compulsive liar, but he's a bard and rather social. And a lying bard... makes Munchhausen Syndrome, so yeah, he's in.

Kagain did sound somewhat concerned with the noble from his "quest" and he isn't outright hateful toward others. In the banters, Edwin doesn't seem to like him, but Kagain just shrugs it off when he's told to shut up. (Another pointer to Edwin's megalomania; he claims if Kagain doesn't shut up, he'll kick his ass. A part of me wants to see that. A somewhat sadistic and easily amused part.)

Montaron qualifies; he doesn't like his sidekick and threatens to kill the party leader.
    booinyoureyes
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Quayle qualifies too, though in his case, it is probably more of a superiority complex than narcissistic personality disorder.
    booinyoureyes
    It's good enough, if only to have the option for a divine caster. PC would be Priest of Talos, because someone has to appreciate the chaos, but having options is nice,