Skip to content

BG:EE or BGtutu/BGT

2»

Comments

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    NPC proficiency's are completely botched in both BGT and BG:EE so I'm pretty much neutral.

I love it all

• krossbow7krossbow7 Member Posts: 6
    bengoshi said:

You've forgotten 3 brilliant new NPCs, their stories and special abilities:)
    For me, they add very much to the game

The issue with the "Brilliant" new NPCs is that Rassad is so horribly statted and weak as to be a close runner for worst character in the game atm. :/

Dorn I will admit has a good story and is stupidly powerful, a real keeper.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @smeagolheart

BWS? Can you link me to that. Last time I tried installing BGT it took me like a day and 2-3 installs, this was over 4 years ago and I did get it working eventually, but if there is an easier way to install it now I might go ahead and play through BG2 since BG2:EE isn't going to be out for a while.

Thanks.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    I'm only interested in BGEE for the Android version when it eventually gets here. I still have installs of BG and BG2 on every PC i own, so there wasn't much point in me paying for this. However, i am more than happy to part with mounds of pounds for a version i can play on my Nexus 7.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @moopy http://dabus.bplaced.net/BWP/bws.php

The link above will always have the latest version available.
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    amftron said:

I'm only interested in BGEE for the Android version when it eventually gets here. I still have installs of BG and BG2 on every PC i own, so there wasn't much point in me paying for this. However, i am more than happy to part with mounds of pounds for a version i can play on my Nexus 7.

GemRB?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    moopy said:

@smeagolheart

BWS? Can you link me to that. Last time I tried installing BGT it took me like a day and 2-3 installs, this was over 4 years ago and I did get it working eventually, but if there is an easier way to install it now I might go ahead and play through BG2 since BG2:EE isn't going to be out for a while.

Thanks.

It has a gui and you can pick the mods and components. It will download the mods for you too assuming gibberlings3 is up (not as of last time I checked a couple days ago). You can manually get their mods from their mirror
  • Sarevok24Sarevok24 Member Posts: 15
    Lifat said:

Here are the reasons why I think BG:EE is superior to BG1:

1. Easier install. I tried to do a modded version of BG1 once and it took me 17 hours with several uninstalls because the game had been corrupted. Granted I'm not the most tech savvy person and the "easier install" may vary depending on your own skill at applying mods.

2. 3 new npcs that I truly love including their voice acting. Again this may vary for you depending on what you like.

3. Black pits is something I'm really looking forward to trying.

4. The companys continued support and bug crushing.

5. Buying BG:EE supports a type of game that I really love and enjoy and would like to see more of. And that is an advantage with BG:EE. Granted it isn't an improved play experience.

Whether there will be more advantages like better multiplayer and/or renewed modding community remains to be seen.

This.

also, modders are doing an excellent job of making mods compatible with BG:EE. the redesigned UI awesome, you can see the thac0 on the inventory screen for your party members, and it is likely that more DLC will be released adding more content to the game in the future, and the team at beamdog has already released several patches for BG:EE so i can see them making a successful enhanced edition of Baldur's gate 2 and possibly Baldur's gate 3.
    I would say in a year BG EE will have most of the important mods converted to it. Give it two years and you will have mods that will depend upon BGEE's changes to work, such as some of the externalizations done to graphics, for instance.

Right now we don't even have a final version of Weidu compatible with the EE, although a beta version is out already.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    The only thing Tutu has over EE for me at the moment is mods. When more mods (and DLC) come out for BG:EE it'll be no contest. The instant saves and uninterrupted music alone make me never want to go back.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    shawne said:

leeho730 said:

As far as I can see, Beamdog/Overhaul cannot modify core stuffs but that doesn't mean hard-coded limits cannot be lifted....

I'm sorry, I'm not clear on what you're trying to say here. Presumably Beamdog has done as much as it was allowed to do, but the EE has been released, that's the product that's being compared to BGT as it currently stands. It's entirely possible that modders will eventually be able to adapt popular content to the EE... but we're not there yet, not by a long shot.
    leeho730 said:

Please remember BGEE already significantly modified the original BG by introducing kits, spells and other game mechanics...

Most of those modifications are present in BGT as well - I don't think that's a point in EE's favor.
    leeho730 said:

And Beamdog/Overhaul cannot modify the core stuffs but that doesn't mean modders/users cannot and I believe it's up to the philosophy of the developer/publisher in terms of whether to introduce mod-friendly interface or not.... Please remember as long as Beamdog/Overhaul are not the one changing the core stuffs it's ok...

Again, I don't see how this constitutes an argument for the EE over BGT: the latter can (and does) modify core components now, whereas the former still requires a new installation system, to say nothing of individual mod adaptation. The OP's question was "BG:EE or Tutu/BGT" - the only recommendation any of us can give has to be based on what's true at the moment, not what may be true six months from now.
    leeho730 said:

Installing update does not undo the mod.... maybe except for overwriting Dialog.tlk... Since when the game is loaded the files in override folder override every game data... even the updated game data...

There have been reports on this forum of mods being overwritten by updates. I assume both UB and BG1NPC overwrite dialog.tlk (since they add dialogue and flavor text to various characters), so... yeah.
    How should I say... comparing BGT to BGEE is comparing apple to orange... It's like you're comparing extensively modded Morrowind to Skywind (should Bethesda decide to release Morrowind on Skyrim engine)....

And actually it is possible to import BG2 contents to BGEE and make BGTEE... but then again, it's not a proper way to compare...

Let's just say, at the moment, BGEE and BGT are tie, but if Overhaul/Beamdog decide to relax hard-coded limit (so that people can become Monk/Sorcerer, Mage/Druid, Paladin/Sorcerer etc), then BGEE all the way... That's why I said BGEE was kinda wasted potential... Overhaul could really make BGEE supergreat but decided, for some reason, stick to current hardcoded limit...

About updates overwriting mods... it's fairly simple one just need to uninstall the mods before updating then applying the mod again.... Some mods don't touch dialog.tlk or simply add new stuffs (like level 40 HLA mod) so it won't interfere with updates... Neera dialog mod, I'm not sure but looks like each update is not that drastic so it would not be that difficult to make it compatible with newly updated BGEE...
    Any update that overwrites dialog.tlk will require a mod reinstall. Even BPseries, the party AI mod, requires dialog.tlk additions to show the script descriptions.

The only mods that are safe on an update are those that only add files to the override or portraits folders, for instance.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LucyferLucyfer Member Posts: 1
    This game throws nearly 15 years of moding out of the window. If only we could rip the 3 npcs from it and move it to BGtutu there would be no need for this game at all :(
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    marfig said:

1) Easier to install

Meh. Once done, who cares?
    marfig said:

2) Comes with its own superior widescreen mod

Again, Meh. Nothing you can't get with modding.
    marfig said:

3) Corrects bugs and adds features that BGtutu couldn't reach

But doesn't it introduce some bugs that didn't exist in the original? Also, "Unfinished Business" added/completed content that didn't make it into BGEE. So six of one/half a dozen of the other in my opinion.
    marfig said:

4) Adds the potential for further developments by a company with a signed agreement with the IP owner.

Does this REALLY make the game itself better?
    marfig said:

5) Resurfaced the dormant modding community

Well, proliferated it anyway. But again, does this make the game as it stands better?
    marfig said:

6) Allows for UI modding

I am not a Modder myself so I really don't realize much benefit to this.
    marfig said:

7) Promises BG2EE

Again with that "Does this make BG:EE on it's own better? And it was by no means a sure thing that there would be BG2EE before release of BG:EE.
    marfig said:

8) The game is for the first time a multi-platform game.

And the value add here is?
    marfig said:

9) Had everyone talk about BG, 15 years later.

While I agree it did this, does this add value to the game play experience?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I wouldn't say "Foes". For me, putting it on a tablet was less than useless. Even if I had one, as you say, it already exists in an almost equally portable format. So there is only a marginal benefit.

I do however appreciate the renewed attention to the series. Quite frankly if it weren't for this project I wouldn't have fired up Tutu and started playing again. And with a "Whole new generation" of players playing it, I have hopes that there will be a Renaissance of sorts for this type of game.

As for Ipad version not being the main focus. I take this to mean that they realized that fully 80% of the target market probably has something other than an Ipad to play the game on. And I bet much higher. They probably see a market, and one probably exists (evidence you wanting it), but I would suspect that it is considered an additional bonus rather than the main focus. They had the resources and thought it would boost revenue more than it would cost to do. so they did it.

so for me, I am not a "Foe" of the project. I think that it's main benefit is in renewing the franchise rather than in bringing the game to "Multiple platforms". Just my two cents.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Never played 'tutu'. So Enhanced fo' sho'.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Zutti said:

amftron said:

GemRB?
    Tried it, ran into a few problems and was too lazy to figure out how to sort them. After playing the PC version though i'm pretty glad it's not out yet on Android, it's been a massive let down so far.
    Sorry if I should have started another thread for this, but this seemed like the place to ask since people reading this and posting here have a lot of experience with BGT.

Three questions about The Big World. I know BG2 like the back of my hand, or at least I did a decade ago, but I'm a complete n00b at modding BG. I've got BG 1 and 2 from GoG installed if that matters.

1) Any recommendations on what mods to add? I went with "Recommended" BWP version

2) Is ascension included in the big world? I didn't see it as an option but I may be blind.

3) Several of the mods didn't download and it stopped the install process when I tried to do the "Recommended" BWP version. Can anyone walk me through what I might need to do differently?

Sorry for being really bad at this. Thanks.
  • n2nwn2nw Member Posts: 8
    Tutu, hands down. I had really hoped that the developers would take a hint from the tutu and all the people that loved the npc mods and give us more in the lines of talking and building relationships with the npcs. You spend months with these people, but you don't talk to them? Come on, guys, give us some depth with our companions!! Sheesh.

I don't really notice any differences that I care about in the new BGee, including the GUI. I was fine with the original and the new doesn't impress me much. The only reason it might have been worth the $20 was for the new npcs and their quests. And though I like the new npcs and their voice acting, overall I'm extremely unimpressed with the amount of dialogue the pc has with them.

And I didn't have a problem installing tutu and still play it off and on till this day. I'm almost embarrassed to say how many mods I've added to it! :P I totally pick Tutu. But if they end up coming out with the npc project for the EE version, I may have to revisit that choice.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    BGEE

Most major mods are being redone or will be redone in a different way. New mods are being encouraged..and the main modders behind most of the better mods were hired to work on BGEE to start with.

BGEE features include almost everything TuTu had out of the gate, and overall they've done an extremely good job. I much prefer BGEE to previous mods or the original and I've played them all.

That being said, there are mods that are not yet available I miss, Ascension for BG2 is one of them...hard times mod and tactics...etc. And getting Shadowkeeper to run took a bit of effort.
    edited January 2013

This is what I'm not understanding - most of the whole point of how BGEE is "enhanced" is that it uses the BG2 engine, and adds some new items and NPCs. That is *exactly* what you get by running TuTu/BGT with an item mod and a few NPC mods. So I can see saying you "much prefer" this NPC or that one, or saying you "much prefer" the install process (though again, if you haven't tried installing mods in a few years, you will be very pleasantly surprised by how easy it is now). But "much prefer" the game itself? I don't understand that, because there's basically no difference.

That's my "existential" question - I just don't see anything revolutionary here. Don't get me wrong, BG is a great game, and more people should play it and the people making and selling it should make oodles of money by helping more people play it. But I just don't see having such a strong preference when the play experience is almost identical. What *would* be revolutionary is if someone here was saying "I much prefer the iPad version, because they have created a revolutionary, elegant, and useful touch interface to play the game." Unfortunately that didn't happen... but I'm hoping that app updates include improvements so that could still happen. (Addressing spyder's market point: I think the market for people to buy a game like this on Windows is small and getting smaller; the market for people to buy a game like this on iPads is medium-sized, and growing very fast.)

I didn't say anything like that the Ipad market was "Getting smaller". I said that the market for BG players that use the Ipad that don't already have another platform (possibly mobile as well) is probably not large. There is quite a difference. And just because the Ipad market is expanding, it doesn't necessarily follow that consumers that would want to play BG on the Ipad is growing. it might be, but still I would bet that 80-90% of the consumers have another platform to play the game on. And given what I am reading about the interface not being Super Wonderful, probably even some Ipad users are playing on a PC instead.

but yes, I don't see anything "Revolutionary" here either. From the game play mechanics, I see six of one and half a dozen of the other. With the "Classic" version having BG2 and ToB available now. BG:EE has a few more areas, none of which are (so I gather) hugely revolutionary and only BG1 thus far. It also has a few more companions. "Classic" has a character editor. So again 6X6 with (in my mind) a slight edge towards "Classic".

Also, there are ways outside of this project to play BG on a tablet. They modded it a few years back. Also, you can buy (or at least could the last time I checked) All three (four including Tales) for $15 which is less than the asking price of BG:EE alone.

don't get me wrong. Anything that gets people to play Baldur's gate is, in my opinion, a great thing. And more market means greater possibility for more games. Just saying that I think gamespot hit it on the head when they said that there was not enough new here to make a difference. And it brings in some new bugs too boot.
    @subtledoctor. I want them to succeed as well. I don't care if they are "Better than BGT". I mean, why try and improve on such a great game? But I do want them to succeed and make more.

When I read about BG:EE, I was like FANTASTIC!!! then I read "On the Ipad" and I was like Meh... I was afraid that they would ruin it. Looks like they didn't. But I can carry around my laptop, so I don't need an ipad. And I wouldn't play this sort of game on an Ipad if I had one. Not that no one would. I just wouldn't.
    @subtledoctor

Thanks a lot, that helped and I've got an install working.

Is there a way to go beyond 1024 x 768? The widescreen mod if I got the right one is stopping it from being skewed which is nice, but things are way too small.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Until NPC Project is adapted to BG:EE, BGT wins.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Ipad version might be meh, but way better than GemRB ipad thing, I tell ya...

So I guess it also depends on platform. For iPad, BGEE...