Skip to content

Khalid question

I almost never use Khalid / Jaheria so I thought I'd be different and picked them up.

I now remember why I never use them or if I do I kill Khalid off and keep Jaheria. He panics and runs around anytime he stumps his toe. Is there a way before you get the helmet in Durlags Tower to make him not be such a pansy?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    cast remove fear

or have garrick sing him a lullaby in combat
    moopyQuartztoanwrathAristillius
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I was hoping for a more permanent solution that didn't require a bard, but thanks.

Is there a reason people would use a character that basically casts horror on themselves anytime a monster approaches?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    moopy said:

I was hoping for a more permanent solution that didn't require a bard, but thanks.

Is there a reason people would use a character that basically casts horror on themselves anytime a monster approaches?

Funny! That's the main reason I don't use him.
    moopy
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    Khalid is the second best archer in the game. Kit him out for that rather than as your tank and you will have no problems.
    moopyDazzuchickenhed
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I very seldom see khalid flee in terror - does the party leader's charisma affect party morale?
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    If you have high charisma he will never suffer morale failure, it seems with an 18 cha that no one will ever fail a morale check in your party regardless of the circumstances.
    moopy
    My charname this go around has a cha of 11. He morale failed at half health while his wife was standing right beside him healing him. He then ran off halfway through the healing spell.

I've decided to take a different approach and take great pleasure in killing him. To the basilisks we go.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Sharn said:

If you have high charisma he will never suffer morale failure, it seems with an 18 cha that no one will ever fail a morale check in your party regardless of the circumstances.

I don't know about this. All the evidence I've heard about charisma affecting party morale has been purely anecdotal. I'm pretty sure that I've had people fail the morale checks even with a 18 CHA party leader.
    Aristillius
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    TJ_Hooker said:

I don't know about this. All the evidence I've heard about charisma affecting party morale has been purely anecdotal. I'm pretty sure that I've had people fail the morale checks even with a 18 CHA party leader.

Morale is affected by many things (CHA, enviornment, HP loss, party member loss, magic, spotting a strong opponent, etc...), and even says so in the manuals (all of them, EE & Originals).

But yes, Morale is indeed affected by the leader's CHA (higher/lower CHA).
    Now, whether it's true that an 18 CHA stops morale break, I couldn't tell you.

• ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Give him some drinks in the taverns...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013

TJ_Hooker said:

Morale is affected by many things (CHA, enviornment, HP loss, party member loss, magic, spotting a strong opponent, etc...), and even says so in the manuals (all of them, EE & Originals).

But yes, Morale is indeed affected by the leader's CHA (higher/lower CHA).
    Now, whether it's true that an 18 CHA stops morale break, I couldn't tell you.

Keep in mind that the manuals, even the new ones, have plenty of mistakes. I'm still a little skeptical.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Tinter said:

Khalid is the second best archer in the game. Kit him out for that rather than as your tank and you will have no problems.

This is completely untrue

Coran and Kivan are miles ahead and it's not even close

Oxford_Guy
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2013
    don't kill him, that's just uncalled for.

let Montaron and Xzar dispose of him, and his bitch wife... MUCH funnier that way.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    moopy said:

I now remember why I never use them or if I do I kill Khalid off and keep Jaheria. He panics and runs around anytime he stumps his toe. Is there a way before you get the helmet in Durlags Tower to make him not be such a pansy?

I actually really enjoy Khalid. He's super-squish at the start, but he becomes a hell of a tank later on. Ankheg plate, Ring of the Princes, and a +1 shield of some type and you are looking at an AC -4 guy that's not hard to equip at all, has very good hp, and can also swing a sword rather well. In my current 4-person-party game, he's tanking for me and once I do something about his strength he will go onto full on beast mode.

Haven't had any problems really with morale since L1 or L2, to be honest.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    He's a good fighter when he wants to be. He almost has more kills than my character. It's his sound set that makes me slam my head on my desk.
    KidCarnivalDelvarianPhyrax
    @DinsdalePiranha

Do they end up fighting? I've never made it very far with all 4 of them. Actually I've never made it very far with Xzar and Montaron. I do a lot of stuff before I go to the mines and they end up getting mad and leaving.
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013
    @enterhaerdalis

BG:EE includes restored Mastery. Give Khalid mastery then high mastery in bows and he will have equal thac0 to Kivan while doing higher damage. He will actually average higher thac0 than kivan from level 3 on due to faster leveling.

Kivan is powerful but also a bit overrated. I think people just like his cool portrait or something, when you run the numbers it doesn't add up to "amazing". Even in the original mastery tables Kivan was only ahead by 1 on thac0, and even then only when he catches up to Khalids level.

Coran is inferior from 64k experience to 128k experience while Khalid has an extra half attack, but then reaches level 7 and retakes the top spot.

So basically, don't underestimate good old Khalid!
    Kivan can use composite longbows though, but whenever you get those named bows that shouldn't matter.

Maybe I should run Kivan, Coran, Khalid with every pip in longbows, and an archer CHARNAME. Not sure there is that many good longbows in the game though.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Pluc082 said:

Have a Charnam with high charisma. I have Khalid in my team and he never run out.

I concur.

Almost never had this problem with my Paladin (if this happens, cast a remove fear on him).

If you can ignore this, he is one of the best characters in game.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    khalid is awesome. in vanilla bg, before weapon styles, khalid with high mastery longswords, a shield and the gauntlets of ogre power was tanking at its best
    Quartz
    edited January 2013
    moopy said:

@DinsdalePiranha

Do they end up fighting? I've never made it very far with all 4 of them. Actually I've never made it very far with Xzar and Montaron. I do a lot of stuff before I go to the mines and they end up getting mad and leaving.

oh yeah. last time I've played with all of them in the same party iirc we got all the way to Naskel mines lvl 3 or 4 before both Jaheira and Khalid was put to sleep by Xzar, then stabbed repeatedly with extreme prejudice.

fun times :D
    Post edited by DinsdalePiranha on
    MykraQuartz
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Give him a break. Don't send him into melee with a heavy hitter enemy that can drop his hitpoints in one hit. At first level, he has 13 hit points, and if an enemy hits him for 10-12 damage in a single blow, it is most likely he will panic. He is only human after all..err, technicaly half-elf, but whatever..When he levels up and has a nice supply of hit points (and he will have very nice hit points with that 17 CON and pure fighter levels) he won't experience morale failure..much.
    Quartz
    edited January 2013
    @lunar

I gave him a break. There were stone pieces everywhere.

Edit: Actually I started using him in a game where I have 18 charisma. Either that is helping or I was getting unlucky with my other CHARNAME.
    lunarSirK8
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    The play-through I am currently doing I just started Chapter 6. i think Kalid has freaked out maybe twice the entire game. My main has a CHA of 12.

Now, I have also been clearing out every single map as I go, so I have some really good XP and some decent equipment. Most of my characters don't take a load of damage and Kalid and Jahiera (my front liners) take almost none.
    lunar
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    It is true with an 18 charisma he doesn't break as often. But he still has the most annoying voice and dialogue in the game.
    KidCarnival
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252

moopy said:

@DinsdalePiranha

oh yeah. last time I've played with all of them in the same party iirc we got all the way to Naskel mines lvl 3 or 4 before both Jaheira and Khalid was put to sleep by Xzar, then stabbed repeatedly with extreme prejudice.

This is actually what made me fall in love with Baldur's Gate in my very first play-through ever, back when I was a wee little gamer. I was completely blown away to have NPC's not only talk to each other, but hate each other, but also decide - 'Hey, you're so dead'.

Suddenly finding myself in the mines with a half-dead Jaheira, and a dead trinity of Khalid, Montarion, and Xzar was kinda...difficult...but man, did I love that it happened.
    DinsdalePiranhaKennis
    Mykra said:

moopy said:

@DinsdalePiranha

This is actually what made me fall in love with Baldur's Gate in my very first play-through ever, back when I was a wee little gamer. I was completely blown away to have NPC's not only talk to each other, but hate each other, but also decide - 'Hey, you're so dead'.

Suddenly finding myself in the mines with a half-dead Jaheira, and a dead trinity of Khalid, Montarion, and Xzar was kinda...difficult...but man, did I love that it happened.
    same here :D I actually had to backtrack at that point, because the little harpers decided that even in death, they're gonna mess my life up and managed to land a few hits on my zhent pals before kneeling over, sound asleep, then... well, not so much asleep.

friend of mine managed to trigger the whole conflict while setting up a trap for Greywolf, of the "sociopathic halfling with a short sword in the shadows" kind... when the game took over, it immediately sprung the trap on an unsuspecting and soon to be chunked Jaheira.
    the guy still swear he heard his computer snickering before the events took place :D
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I so want Khalid and Jaheira to go 'medieval' on Xzar and Montaron. I finished Nashkell and it still hasn't happened.