Skip to content

Should I start over?

So, In my current play through, I have finally reached chapter 6. Charname is a wizard and has been traveling around with some goody-goody's up to this point. Problem is, due to the nature of the character, he really makes very little use of the tomes to increase stats. They are pretty much a waste for him.

On a whim, I decided to "Roll" up a Half-Orc Fighter/Thief. He ended up with the following stats:

STR : 19
DEX : 18
CON : 19
INT : 14
WIS : 10
CHR : 10

I figure, that considering the story line, I could definitely make this work. He could turn out to be the ultimate Lord of Murder. Focus mainly on Move silent and hide. Give him two weapon style fighting. I bet his eventual 20 STR and CON would come in really handy and make him deadly.

My problem is this. I don't have a lot of time to game lately and am not sure I have it in me to play all the way up to this point before something else comes up. is it worth the risk?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    QuartzIllustairDJKajuruelminster
  • HesseHesse Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2013
    I don't know if this is the type of advice you want, but I don't think BG is a good game for you to rush (as you may already know). I think, like most of us do, I suppose, this is a game to take your time, do sidequests, explore and so on...

That said I, like you, don't have a lot of time to game right now. Still, I'm playing the game when I have some free time, I am progressing really slow (still on chapter 3). Nevertheless I'm having fun playing BG once again :).

If you like your new character start a new game but keep your old save.

Have fun.
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    Why not use your tomes on your other party members?
    Quartz
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Zutti said:

Why not use your tomes on your other party members?

This. Tomb of Dex on Coran, Tomb of Con on Kagain etc
    Quartz
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited January 2013
    LOL. Thanks for the advise.

So for me, the journey is all about my Main. Using the tomes on "Lesser Mortals" is merely a waste of magic, and my main would never do that. LOL

With that being said, absolutely they are not significant improvements on my main who's stats are:

STR: 12 (Soon to be 13 - small lift in carrying weight)
    DEX: 16 (soon to be 17- this will help)
    Con: 15 (soon to be 16 - this will help)
    INT: 18 (now 19 - nuff said)
    Wis: 12 (now 14, soon to be 15. No help)
    CHA: 11 (now 12 no real gain here)

So honestly there has been some help there. And yes, you can complete the game without ever finding one single one. But why? I an a completionist by nature and have to find everything in the game. Why find it and not use it. But this also means that I will spend hours and hours slogging through what I recently completed. hence my dilemma.

But again, look at the stats of the second character. Seems to be they would be killer, particularly after the augmentation.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    If you do roll up a new dude, you should SK him into a fighter/assassin, for even more lore appropriateness. I think I literally have 7 characters right now, and I just play whichever I feel like playing till I get bored. I don't play a whole lot either, but I've played BG so much in the past I'm not in a hurry to finish any of these dudes.
    Quartz
  • PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    Not being able to use the magic tomes in a way that grants you a significant bonus doesn't seem to me to be a reason to re-start the game, unless you feel that your character will lack the capability to finish the final battle. If you want to complete every little side quest and gain every possible reward and item in a single playthrough, suit yourself, but the vast majority of what you acquire will simply be a trophy and of no practical value. This version of the game is considerably easier than I remember the original being, though between tutu and various mods, my notion of what the original actually was might be distorted.

In any event, why not just treat the tomes as trophies? Get them because you want to get all the items and dont' worry that they aren't useful. Their utility is generally overrated anyway.
    The_New_Romance
  • JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    Well, I'm playing a half orc berserker currently, with similar starting stats as yours and having lots of fun with that game. For me however, I play several games concurrently with completely different characters/ stats for the unique challenges and experiences each one provides.

As Hesse mentioned, just start your new game but keep a save with your old character in case you want to go back. Just have fun...no need to limit yourself. :)

Not being able to use the magic tomes in a way that grants you a significant bonus doesn't seem to me to be a reason to re-start the game, unless you feel that your character will lack the capability to finish the final battle. If you want to complete every little side quest and gain every possible reward and item in a single playthrough, suit yourself, but the vast majority of what you acquire will simply be a trophy and of no practical value. This version of the game is considerably easier than I remember the original being, though between tutu and various mods, my notion of what the original actually was might be distorted.

In any event, why not just treat the tomes as trophies? Get them because you want to get all the items and dont' worry that they aren't useful. Their utility is generally overrated anyway.

sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I would not restart "Because" I could make use of the tomes better. I have just been thinking about restarting anyway. And then the character I "Rolled" seemed to really make significant use of the bonuses from the tomes. But they were never the driver.

As for simply playing multiple games, therein lies the main crux of the matter. I don't have loads of time to game anymore and so I can either push on and finish the play through I am currently on, or start again and maybe finish it. Playing two games concurrently would all but guarantee that I would never finish. Not to mention the fact that I would have to re-cover all of that same ground again in the new game. Not to say it wouldn't be fun, just not sure that is 100% my idea of fun.

On the plus side, playing through again would afford me the opportunity to pick up a totally opposite group. And possibly see things that I didn't before (though probably not much as I am pretty thorough in my play throughs). And it would allow me to do something I have never done, which is play a thief in BG2 a the end of it all. So I have to weigh those questions in my mind.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Assign wrong weapon proficiency - restart game
    Sell a magic item you wanted to keep - restart game
    Give charname the wrong sound set- restart game
    Realise you picked the wrong alignment - restart game
    Assign stat tome to the wrong NPC - you better believe that's a restart game
    QuartzWilburEdwinlunar
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    ajwz said:

Assign wrong weapon proficiency - restart game
    Sell a magic item you wanted to keep - restart game
    Give charname the wrong sound set- restart game
    Realise you picked the wrong alignment - restart game
    Assign stat tome to the wrong NPC - you better believe that's a restart game

JTMAristilliusDJKajuru
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    one does not simply play through BG1 once.

stash your fighter/thief, and keep him safe - you'll get plenty of opportunities to use him eventually.
    [Deleted User]Quartz
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    If you don't have time, don't play. Finish your staff - exams, work, projects... and then you can start playing. "I will beat the game as fast as possible so I can concentrate on my studies, work... as soon as possible" doesn't really work at all. If you have the will to not waste all your day playing, then play it little by little. Sorry if I misunderstood the question.
    JTM
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    If a tome won't benefit my PC then of course I will give it to a NPC that it helps. It would just be wasted otherwise. Tomes aren't that big a deal.

I suspect that you will probably enjoy your half-orc Fighter/Thief perhaps more than your current character. So if playing a more enjoyable character is the most important thing... regardless of finishing the present game or starting over with a new one... then do that. If limited time to play the game is most important--and you're having a pretty good time with your current character--then don't worry about the tomes. I wouldn't make the decision based on tome usage.
    Quartz
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I started yesterday with a half Orc Fighter/Thief with similar stats and I am planning to have a LOT of fun backstabbing my way through BGEE and BG2EE. It will take some time to get the stealth up, but once I picked up some boots currently in the hands of hobgoblins serious mayhem will start.

I would probably say that I've had most fun playing F/T characters, as long as you keep him out of harm for the first and second level.

Have fun!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Bhaaldog said:

one does not simply play through BG1 once.

Indeed
    I did. Once, and only once.
    LemernisIllustair
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Have you tried out the Black Pits? I've found it to be a wonderful distraction when I get the itch to try out a new character type - actually you get to try 6 at a time! The fights gradually increase in difficulty and your party levels fairly quickly so you can see what type of combat capability your PC would have. The Black Pits is my way of handling the "restart" itch right now - like you I don't get loads of time to play and I'd like to finish the game (currently on cloakwood w/my Cleric), but I often get the urge to try something new, especially after reading through these forums!
    Quartzlunar
    Lindeblom said:

I started yesterday with a half Orc Fighter/Thief with similar stats and I am planning to have a LOT of fun backstabbing my way through BGEE and BG2EE. It will take some time to get the stealth up, but once I picked up some boots currently in the hands of hobgoblins serious mayhem will start.

I would probably say that I've had most fun playing F/T characters, as long as you keep him out of harm for the first and second level.

Have fun!!

Well, boots and some shadowleather.

I have never played a thief in BG2. I've always wanted to do that. So I might just take that up.