Skip to content

[Mod]Improved difficulty mod beta

SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
edited January 2013 in General Modding
it's a simple mod that changes the majority of the monsters, making them a lot stronger .
Just put ovverride folder in 00766 folder
(archaic hd 5.5 mod in )

https://hotfile.com/dl/187798326/e9c3db2/override.rar.html
Post edited by Sarnind on
Archaicshadow85irendie

Comments

• OgaburanOgaburan Member Posts: 83
    Could we get some more information?
    This kind of mod would interest me... but just buffing the HP, i can do myself.
  • SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    hp, tacho, stats, atttack rate, xp earned. For example: sarevok in the last battle has 135 hp, in this mod 300.
  • TivaanTivaan Member Posts: 15
    this does make it hard lol
  • shadow85shadow85 Member Posts: 128
    Hey, can some1 explain how this makes it harder? Im very interested in this type of mod, well actually this is the only type of mod im afer and waiting for until I play BGEE, the harder the better. Very tempted to try it out now, but it says BETA, not sure how buggy it might be.
    shadow85 said:

Hey, can some1 explain how this makes it harder? Im very interested in this type of mod, well actually this is the only type of mod im afer and waiting for until I play BGEE, the harder the better. Very tempted to try it out now, but it says BETA, not sure how buggy it might be.

make a copy of baldur s gate EE and put the mod in, simple
    Just played it, I like the increase in difficulty. but How about, extra encounters? or gold mod, so gold is more scarce and or attainable by selling?
    Also did you edit all the enemies in the game to be tougher or just certain ones?
    i think most(80%) of enemies, especially the ends bosses
    can you make it 99% lol?
    Yes , need more time xd
    shadow85
    ok thanks, ill wait for that. :)
    new version, upgrade 95/99% of enemies
    shadow85
    sweet, are you still going to be working on it to make more enemies harder?
  • nptitimnptitim Member Posts: 111
    Just to be clear you are saying to play this file inside the override folder which is in the 00766 folder, correct?
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @nptitim If there is no override folder inside the 00766 folder then just create one manually.
    This mod is pretty good, definitely makes everything a lot tougher. I am dying much more often now when I never did before. I love the extra XP however. You should note that this mod changes the look and set up of the menu's and such, I don't mind it but I wasn't expecting it.
    thx a lot , now I just have to balance the most important battles
    Sarnind said:

thx a lot , now I just have to balance the most important battles

don't balance it imo, lol. The harder it is the better and more fun it is, maybe different versions for different diff levels? Make one insanly hard that will have players crying?
    One thing I found with this mod is that for some reason the cheat codes don't work any more. I can still CTRL+Space and bring up the options but now when I try to create an item or give gold for example it tells me it doesn't work. I also have the Team BG armor/weapons mod and the hellhound addition but I thought those cheats were working before this mod was installed. It isn't a huge deal but I would prefer those codes still work. Not sure if it is me or not but I thought I would share my result
    Hey I was wondering, does this mod make the enemies have more HP or a higher level, or both? Because, when I am killing early monster, I am getting heaps of XP from them. This will make my party max out and become really powerful much earlier rite? Would really like it if the leveling would still take as long as original BG but still making the enemies harder.
    This mod definitely gives more XP for the kills. Personally I like that a lot, otherwise the extra headache of harder fights isn't worth it (to me). You might think about raising the level cap? Just a thought
    nptitim said:

This mod definitely gives more XP for the kills. Personally I like that a lot, otherwise the extra headache of harder fights isn't worth it (to me). You might think about raising the level cap? Just a thought

But then we would max out much quicker, thats the only thing i dont like, id rather leverl normally.

@Shadow85 - I am suggesting that if you raise the level cap with a simple mod then you will hit level 8/9 quicker for sure but I don't think you will "max" out quicker if the new level cap is say 15 or 16, I think it would take just as long if not longer to hit that level with this mod vs vanilla BG. Hope that makes sense
    Don t worry can u hit level 12/13 . No level cap inside
    As anyone tried to take on Drizzt with this mod installed? I found him essentially impossible, it seemed like he was immune to all magic and even with a THACO of 5 I essentially never hit him. I am not complaining as he is supposed to be super tough but just commenting.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I find this very interesting and will definitely try it out at some point. I would like to see some documentation on the changes made though.
    I didn't create this mod but I have played essentially the entire game with it. I'll try to outline the changes as I see them since that hasn't been done yet.

First, the overall format is changed (inventory screen, etc). I like the changes but I was surprised that happened since I thought this would just make things tougher.

Monsters are generally tougher - by that I mean they seem to have about 3 times as many hit points and they do at least double normal damage. 10 kobold commandos actually becomes hard when they have 20 hit points and you don't one shot them.

There are more monsters in some situations. Not all, but in some there are more - like the Xvart village has I would estimate double the number of them. There are a lot more wolves and they are upgraded, a lot more vampire wolves/winter wolves/dread wolves etc. Many more gnolls in the stronghold, I am guessing Durlag's tower was upgraded with more ghouls, etc as well.

You get more XP for each kill. It seems to be about double the normal value, sometimes maybe more.

I think this removes the level cap, although I already had a mod that did that.

I think this mod makes coping scrolls automatically work

There are few bugs but they are minor. I do have some other mods going as well so can't say for sure it is this one. Main bug seems to be that Ion stones are not labeled correctly - says missing string for that item.

I usually "walk" through the game pretty easy and feel I am a "good" player but this was definitely tougher. I had to reload more and ended up starting out with level 5 characters and I still died more often, although I often play with less than 6 characters.

Hope that helps
    Wilbur
    @ nptitm, what level did you reach by the end of the game?
  • DaveRoidDaveRoid Member Posts: 26
    How do I take out the UI stuff? which files other than .chu are responsible for them?
    I started at level 5 for my main characters. I am level 10 now and I am in Chapter 5 - although I also have completed durlag's tower and am finishing the rest of SoA sequel. I haven't really been to baldur's gate yet. I would expect to be level 12 or 13 by the end