Skip to content

NPC's Ages

As a hook from jaheira's topic , how old do you think each npc is?

My guesses are :

Imoen: 19 or 20 ( she doesn't look like a teenager, even though she acts like one. Besides, it says in the game she's about your age.

Xzar and Montaron : I think they are in their late 20's . Both seem to be quite unexperienced.

Jaheira and Khalid: Being friends with Gorion for a long time, I think they are in their late 30's.

Ajantis , Alora , Skie , Garrick : They all seem to be young adventurers in their early 20's .

Minsc and Dynaheir: Minsc looks late 20's. I believe that he had fought many a monster when you meet him in Nashkel. Dynaheir, despite being very wise, looks like a low rank wichalarn. I'd say she's in her late 20's, too.

Edwin; Late 30's, close to 40.

Eldoth : I think he's around 33. Despite being good looking, he doesn't look very young.

What do you think?

Comments

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    I think Yeslick is about 135 years old, Kagain 120, Kivan 65, Quayle ~110 and Tiax a young adult gnome of 83 years of age.

Jaheira and Khalid are probably close to the end of the century than the beginning, I would say 60/70. Coran is 45, Viconia probably something like 90.
  • MikkelMikkel Member Posts: 86
    Take one or two off Imoen (I'm having a hard time believing she's any more than 18), and I think you're pretty much spot on.

Age is hard to make sense of though, since you can be a member of a race who would obviously need to be a lot older than 18ish to be about to come-of-age, which around the time of Gorion's death is what you're supposed to be, as far as I can tell.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited January 2013
    Imoen: The mind of a six year old brat in the body of a teenager. Probably 17-ish.

Minsc: Late 30's, early 40's. His mind could be even younger than Imoen's though.

Jaheira & Khalid: Middle aged. For half-elves this means they're hitting the middle 60's.

Montaron: Middle aged as well - according to my calculations he's 53 years old.

Xzar: Charismatic 26 years of awesomeness!

Dorn: A fine specime of an adult half-orc. He should be around 14~19 years old by now.

Viconia: Middle aged as well and has seen at least 172 years.

Aerie: Has not even reached adulthood if you ask me: 35 years old at most. Hands off, that's elven jailbait!
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited January 2013
    Ooh, neat! My guesses are coming from the starting age tables in the 2nd Edition manuals.

Ajantis: Probably in his twenties, likely early twenties. He's still a young knight, after all.
    Branwen: Twenties to thirties?
    Garrick: Likely early twenties.
    Imoen: You're twenty at the beginning of the game. Imoen is "just a little bit younger than you". Maybe, like, I don't know, eighteen to twenty?
    Shar-Teel: Twenties...? Then again, I don't know how old her father is (shh!), so she could be any age, for all I know.
    Skie: I'd even say late teens, but probably twenties, likely very early.

Kagain, Korgan, Yeslick: Over forties...they all seem pretty competent, and Yeslick could very well be over a century and a half old, given his behaviors.

Aerie, Coran, Kivan, Viconia, Xan: The elves, I'd put at well over one hundred years, though with Viconia, we at least have something of an idea. She was born in Menzoberranzan...
    [SPOILER]House Do'Urden wiped out House DeVir in 1297 DR, so she had to have been born well before then. Baldur's Gate takes place in 1368 DR. The 2nd Edition PHB merely says that an Elf needs to be over 100 years of age to be considered an adult. Soo we're probably looking at somebody well over 170 years old.[/SPOILER]
    At least she and Aerie didn't have to wait, what, the 500 years to become a Cleric like in the 1st Edition age tables? :x ...and Aerie strikes me as being really, really young for an elf.

Jan, Quayle, Tiax: Well over sixty.

Alora, Montaron: Twenties to thirties...? Montaron...strikes me as somebody who got his start on the pets in his village. D:

Jaheira, Khalid, Neera: Jaheira and Khalid adventured with Gorion, so they're...probably a lot older than you, maybe sixties to nineties? Neera sounds very young, and refers to the others as "kids" (though since the High Forest is full of elves and other immortal races, she could be referring to eighty year-olds). Probably early twenties.

Dorn: Welp, he's a half-orc. They age a lot faster than humans, so I'm going to say early twenties.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I wonder what other races do before they grow older . I mean, 60 years is a long time and most humans get bored when they reach such an age.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I remember somewhere something stating that the main character is 20 at the start of Baldur's Gate... Because of "spoilers" I'd imagine Imoen and Sarevok being around the same.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    I don't know, Garrick is probably around 16-18...you do call him kid after all, and you're the racial equivalent of 20 years old. Imeon is a year or two younger then a human PC, which has a definite age of 20, so 18 or 19 sounds about right. Sarevok is approximately 6-7 years older then you, assuming a human PC, since he was a young boy at the time you were 1-ish (Gorion is mentioned to have brought you to Candlekeep as a baby), equivalent.

Jaheria is exactly 21 at the beginning of Baldur's Gate. By her own bio, she was born during the year the Tethyr civil war broke out, which is in 1347. BG1 starts at 1368. So....she and Khalid have only been married a couple years, and are both extremely young by half-elf standards (though it should be noted, Half-elves only age slightly slower then humans until physical maturity, at which point they slow down dramatically. to about 50% human age rate, which means, Jaheria is roughly the same age, maturity-wise as a PC human is). And when you visit Tethyr in ToB, you're arriving right at the end of the reclaimation wars, which is why the rulers sent an army after you at Oasis, the Bhaalspawn were a threat to the stability of the nation...oh...and the destruction of Saradush was blamed entirely on you.

That also explains Elminsiter's presence in ToB...he didn't JUST drop by to congratulate you, he was there helping guard Lhaeo, as he claimed the throne of Tethyr as King Haedrek the III, rightful ruler of Tethyr.

Of course...bioware has really F'd up the time line, since you're mentioned to have been saved from the ritual site and brought to candlekeep as an infant...but unless they were just holding the children there, rather then preparing to enact the ritual as ToB implies, it would be too soon, as Bhaal wouldn't have even died for another 10 years (The time of troubles was in 1358), and if the timing didn't matter, why let the children grow at all?

@Silchas It specifically says that Sarevok escaped from the ritual site in the confusion...a 1 year old doesn't escape on their own, and 3-4 is highly unlikely, not to mention, they actually conjure a representative of his spirit at the time, which is roughly consistent with a 8-12 year old. And with his own Biography confirms he wandered on his own, slumming for awhile before being taken in by Rieltar.

You are not the same age at all. The question posed is, but what if Sarevok had been taken instead of you? When the Harpers attacked, he ran away during the confusion and escaped the compound, while the game specifically says Gorion has cared for you since you were an infant. If Sarevok was an infant, he couldn't have escaped on his own. It only says Sarevok was one of the CHILDREN at the compound, and could've just as easily as you ended up with Gorion.

Further evidence is mentioned in BG1 when discussing Koveras, with Tethtoril. When he's recounting Koveras's previous visits, he always refers to him as a young man, even when it's clear he'd be a child if he was the same age to the protagonist.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    @ZanatgKariashi , I remember from Jaheira's romance that she was but a girl during the civil war - supposing that she was 12 at the time, she would be in her 30's , I guess.
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261

Sarevok is approximately 6-7 years older then you, assuming a human PC, since he was a young boy at the time you were 1-ish (Gorion is mentioned to have brought you to Candlekeep as a baby), equivalent.

Spoiler warning!

That's incorrect
    It has been said that Sarevok was one of the other babies Gorion didn't get to bust out and that the roles could've easily been reversed (the trials in hell maybe, not sure)
    That puts both at the same age
    I might accept 25 at most...but otherwise it contradicts her bio too much. I'll have to play through her romance again and double check some things, since I only played it once and it was nearly 9 years ago.
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    DJKajuru said:

@ZanatgKariashi , I remember from Jaheira's romance that she was but a girl during the civil war - supposing that she was 12 at the time, she would be in her 30's , I guess.

At most. It seems that people either don't read characters' biographies, or don't look into additional official AD&D lore, like war in Tethyr during which she was born. And that lore doesn't put her anywhere past 30, but even that is quite a stretch. It's also worth noting that she and Khalid are still quite green, being lvl 1 at the start of BG. As for mentioning being old friends with Gorion, it probably meant that Gorion was old friend with the Harpers more than anything else.

Of course...bioware has really F'd up the time line, since you're mentioned to have been saved from the ritual site and brought to candlekeep as an infant...but unless they were just holding the children there, rather then preparing to enact the ritual as ToB implies, it would be too soon, as Bhaal wouldn't have even died for another 10 years (The time of troubles was in 1358), and if the timing didn't matter, why let the children grow at all?

Yea, timeline in BG is pretty inconsistent, as well as the ingame lore. I recall in BG1 you could read Sarevok's letter stamped with year 1370, when BG2 starts in 1369.
    As for the ToB explanation of how the protagonist came to be Gorion's foster child - it's a complete mishap, because writers forgot/dismissed BG1 explanation. It's also not clear as to how old those children were during the ritual, because Sarevok's apparition states that he fleed from there on his own. And there is a raven dream in BG1, during which protagonist recollects how he came to Candlekeep with Gorion being few seasons old and vaguely remembering his/her previous stops at other locations. So that probably means that the children in that temple where at least few seasons old - who knows when Bhaal started seeding the world with his spawn, probably years before the Time of Troubles. At least that would explain how half-dragon Abazigal even managed to father a son in ToB.
    Oh it's not doubt at all he started long before the Time of Troubles.

If you assuming a young child, say 3-4, then the ritual site was raided 6 years before Bhaal's death, and would put Sarevok at 10-12, which does make a bit more sense that he could effectively escape on his own, and would place his final age about ~28, which does seem reasonable as a candidate for a Grand Duke.

Jaheria though I have a hard time justifying..I mean she could've been 3-4 when servant brought her to the druids, and then spending several more years as part of the druid enclave during the civil war could've altered her perceptions of her childhood which might account for discrepancies...but there's not a whole lot of wiggle room, eventually joining the Harpers as a young teen and meeting Khalid and begin courting, and later working with Gorion, possibly as liaisons as he keeps the Harpers up to date on the status of his ward over the years, marrying as they reach maturity, and then sent to investigate a possible Zhent plot along the sword-coast, and while there get a letter from Gorion requesting their aid as he has to move his ward since Candlekeep has been compromised. Ultimately leading up to where you meet them in game.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Minsc is for sure in his 30's. He has man strength which doesn't come in your 20's.

Oh it's not doubt at all he started long before the Time of Troubles.

If you assuming a young child, say 3-4, then the ritual site was raided 6 years before Bhaal's death, and would put Sarevok at 10-12, which does make a bit more sense that he could effectively escape on his own, and would place his final age about ~28, which does seem reasonable as a candidate for a Grand Duke.

What bugged me the most in ToB explanation was that the protagonist has to be about 20 years old according to his/her biography, and in ToB it was stated by your mother apparition that the ritual was being prepared AFTER Bhaal died, which happened during the Time of Troubles in 1358 DR - 10 years prior to BG1. And that is pretty weird, because it is very unlikely that the protagonist was more than few seasons old when Gorion adopted him/her. So, my guess - writers screwed up in ToB and there was no real point in changing the backstory in the first place, they could have presented that moral challenge some other way/

edited January 2013
    Kortok said:

Minsc is for sure in his 30's. He has man strength which doesn't come in your 20's.

I doubt that he's past 30 - he's still journeying because he's on his dajemma, coming-of-age ritual that usually takes about a year, after which young Rashemi are considered full adults among their people. However, it's Minsc - a brain addled kicker of evil butts. Maybe he just liked adventuring and didn't want to come back home yet.
    As for strength, well, he's a berserker after all and there's no rule barring young humans to be inherently strong by the roll of a dice.

• lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225

[SPOILER]House Do'Urden wiped out House DeVir in 1297 DR, so she had to have been born well before then. Baldur's Gate takes place in 1368 DR. The 2nd Edition PHB merely says that an Elf needs to be over 100 years of age to be considered an adult. Soo we're probably looking at somebody well over 170 years old.[/SPOILER]

Drow mature faster than other elves. Drizzt, for example, is just short of 70 during Baldur's Gate.

I wouldn't put Viconia at older than 120 at most, and I would say it's more likely she's just around 100.

Aerie seems to fall around the same, to me.

As for Jaheira, she does not say when she was born, only that she was born to nobility that remained loyal to the late king during the civil war, at which point she was orphaned. The exact details are left vague enough that you can assume she is anything from 20 to 30. Given that she knows Gorion at least somewhat, she must have had some correspondence with him, which would be... extremely... difficult if she was only 20.
    edited January 2013

As for Jaheira, she does not say when she was born, only that she was born to nobility that remained loyal to the late king during the civil war, at which point she was orphaned.

Maybe somewhat vague, but not really. From her biography:
    "She says that she was born in the Tethyr region to a loyalist of the King Alemander regime, unfortunately during the Thethyrian civil war."
    It says during, which means 1347 DR - civil war started at at that time, beginning with coup on the king. And nobles' castles were sacked by mobs even later. But whatever, for the sake of roleplaying I too tend to give her a few extra years, because she has too much common sense for such a young woman, even being a druid :).

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited January 2013
    I'd definitely go with >35 for Minsc.
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    imoens bg1 portrait makes her look like a hooker
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    - No way is Xzar in his 20's! He's at least early 30's, he has the wisdom to match and even sounds it
    - Skie I would definitely put as the youngest, possibly 17 or 18, she's classic MySpace age - glittery pony gifs, etc
    - And I'd put Eldoth in his late 20's, he's definitely a little rough around the edges but appears to have that young man's charm still going for him
    - Edwin seems young to me, he doesn't have the astute nature of someone in their 30's and he's far too narrow minded and power hungry for maturity, I'd say he's mid to late 20's, after all his thirst for power does backfire...
    - Nalia is possibly only slightly older than the PC methinks, for someone with such a lack of maturity and understanding there is something a little worldly and cultured about her
    - I wouldn't say Garrick is terribly young, he has decent wisdom and has led a colourful life, possibly early 20's, he has that eternal youthfulness about him, same as Imoen
    - I'd put Faldorn in her mid 30's, to the point where a human's physical statistics start to diminish but their mental statistics start to increase, she's very composed, somewhat lady-like, as lady-like as a Druid can be I guess
    - Safana I can't help but imagine the exact same age, or as close too, as Eldoth. They just sound like they come from similar backgrounds, I can imagine her being somewhat Skie-esque when she was much younger

• SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    edited January 2013
    People really need to stop simply multiplying the age of a human to find ages of demi humans when trying to determine their age, none of them age that way, all elves in the forgotten realm's setting reach physical maturity in roughly 25 years for example.

Sure, I don't expect the average person to know these things, or even casual D&D players, but you would think that fellow nerds who are nerdy enough to argue about racial aging on a forum would have an idea what they are talking about first.
    That's why I only mentioned humans , halflings and half elves, @Sharn . I'm a complete ignorant on elven , dwarven and gnomish age!
    It wasn't directed only or necessarily at all at you, just in general, and it wasn't meant to be offensive or confrontational, though it is difficult to convey emotion over the forums. It was intended to be lighthearted yet also make a point that people should pay attention to if they want to debate such things.
    No , no. I know you didn't mean to sound confrontational or anything . In fact, I believe it's incredbly unrealistic the way they have made other races get so old - they live their daily routines same as we do, and don't seem to get bored with life after 200 years.
    Well, the reality of the situation is they don't think exactly the same way a human does. But even from a human perspective I would not have a problem living 200 years or longer, there are so many things that I am never going to see that I would like to be around for.

I think this is why a lot of people think elves are arrogant when they try to tell humans what to do and act superior, but really they are just to proud to make themselves look bad by saying, "Hey human, I have had a thousand years to make mistakes and have made just about every mistake that is possible to make, so listen to me when I tell you this is a bad idea." They aren't really arrogant, no more arrogant then a parent giving advice to a child at any age, I am almost 40 and my parents still give me advice, its simply a matter of perspective.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Doesn't Imoen tell Jaheira in the beggining of BG2 when she calls her a child that she's the same age as CHARNAME? Or is that dialogue added by some banter pack?

Anyway regarding the long lifes of the demihumans I remember reading that that was one of the reasons humans actually got powerful in the world, with their shorter lifes they have a tendency of taking risks and gaining power faster than the longer lived races.

I never bought that explanation though. The only reason the world wasn't ruled by the elf races is the artifical level limits added by second edition. Really with centuries to study any mage would get a lot of XP by researching alone, even if he never went in an adventure in his entire life.

So let's all hail our level 200 Elf Overlords :)
    edited January 2013
    I always went with the humans breed like rabbits compared to the other races theory.
    edited January 2013
    @Sharn , are sure you'd be cool being 200 years old? Think about someone who's 80 years old . The way they see life changes a lot - for good or ill, depending on how much they have experienced. Even the wildest rock stars retire and settle down at old age.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Sham That's a good theory :)