Skip to content

kamikaze Archers on the run! Am i the only one?

Benji123Benji123 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in iPad (Archive)
BUG: Ranged weapons users go to melee

iPad Version: iPad 2
OS Version: iOS 6.0.1
Evirorment: any

Description: Whenever I have a character using a ranged weapon, when they pick a target using the AI (as in; i don’t click myself) they decide that the range of their weapon I close. I have often had Imoen using a bow charge the stupid ogre, basilisk and other good stuff. Similarly before advanced edition I equipped my wizards with a sling so they would stay at range when the AI decided they where to attack, but all my mages keep charging anyway regardless of wielding a ranged weapon.

Question: Looking through this forumI find no one else experiencing this problem, and I find that it happens every time. Is it a bug or just something that I can adjust trough settings or something?

Comments

• BaronVHBaronVH Member Posts: 13
    You are not the only one. I have had this happen a lot more in the last few days for some reason.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Benji:

Go ahead and throw a bug report out there for this and link to this thread.

I think the "bug" to focus on here is the fact that archer AI is not setup by default to keep an archer at range. There may be a better AI script to use (I'll let the community talk about that here) but if so, that better AI Script should be attached by default.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    As Illydth said I think the bug is with the default AI script.

Personally I turn scripts off and micromanage every character and I don't have this problem, but if that is a deal breaker for you, you might try an AI script other than default for your ranged characters.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    This is a problem for PC as well (hence, faulty AI script).
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    I've got the same problem. Its fine if I make my ranged characters target enemies manually, but the AI makes them all go into mindless 'banzai!' mode......
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I get this too, turning AI off helps, but when they run out of arrows in one slot, they switch to fists and go in punching, even if there are 2 more slots of ammo equipped ...
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    SirK8 said:

I get this too, turning AI off helps, but when they run out of arrows in one slot, they switch to fists and go in punching, even if there are 2 more slots of ammo equipped ...

Go into the auto-pause options and set the game to pause when a weapon is broken. It will pause when they run out of arrows allowing you to go in and manually change them and the AI will pick up right where they left off without moving.

I rarely use the AI scripts because it is so wacky. I never feel I can trust it. Far too often someone runs in when they should stay back and more enemies are drawn into the fight causing a wipe. I'd rather manage things myself. Cue Yosemite Sam saying "Computers is so stupid"!
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Yeah, I can catch it when it happens, but it shouldn't happen. There are 3 slots for ammo and when one runs out the next one should be used automatically.

SirK8 said:

Go into the auto-pause options and set the game to pause when a weapon is broken. It will pause when they run out of arrows allowing you to go in and manually change them and the AI will pick up right where they left off without moving.

I rarely use the AI scripts because it is so wacky. I never feel I can trust it. Far too often someone runs in when they should stay back and more enemies are drawn into the fight causing a wipe. I'd rather manage things myself. Cue Yosemite Sam saying "Computers is so stupid"!