Skip to content

Do I get a medal now?

I now have over 100k gold. Does this mean I win?

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If you ask the Diviner in the Baldur's Gate market who the richest man in the city is and where he keeps his money, they'll now just point at you.

This doesn't actually happen, but I'm tempted to make a feature request.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 380
    Bhaaldog said:

But can you dance on the head of a pin as well?

No, but if it bleeds I can kill it by throwing gold at it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    A party of Flaming Fist wizard tax collectors will soon be dogging your every turn if you don't start donating to temples.

j/k ;p
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    medal, as in an achievement?
    Anyone can hoard. You can get a medal only if you go through the game completely poor. Never have any gold on your party and any gold you obtain must be donated to a temple immediately.

Then once you killed Saravok, the game checks to make sure you don't have any gold or spent any gold, If you haven't it will give you the medal of Illmater. A divine object that gives bonus priest spells, spell resistance and a thaco boost that you can use for the rest of the game.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Split it with Sarevok and maybe he'll give you a metal.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @deltago

Which will then be taken by Irenicus and used against you.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Joan Rivers is gonna ask ya how you got so rich.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Hope you don't have Neera in your party...

This is an actual concern of mine as I'm trying to romance her.

Magic Missile aaaaaaaaaand it's gone.

Someone make that a meme with that one South Park picture.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

This is what I'm thinking of doing when having Neera in my party:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14495/neera-and-stockpiling-gems-and-jewellery

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    It's always a good idea to stockpile on gems and keep some items unsold to recover from that particular surge. I personally saw it only once in the few times I had a Wild Mage in my group, but some people are just "lucky" ;)

Actually I've seen some people reporting it happening to them twice in the same playthrough.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Luckily I have not yet lost gold to Neera. If it happens, I will either reload or murder her and pick up Edwin since I'm already managing my rep due to having Dorn in party.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    So, question: who's lugging around all those bags of gold and are probably like 20+lbs each?

Also: What about in PnP when your party gets that rich? Does carrying an insane amount of gold factor in how you're able to carry it?
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    @Daelric The weight of gold has been sidestepped in the majority of adventure games to date. A missed opportunity for another dynamic to the game if you ask me...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    @Daelric In PnP my group would would normally convert everything into gems. We always had some loss on the buying/selling rate.

If we got really rich we would use a bag of holding and fill it with gold. You could put a lot of money in one of those.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited January 2013
    Daelric said:

So, question: who's lugging around all those bags of gold and are probably like 20+lbs each?

Also: What about in PnP when your party gets that rich? Does carrying an insane amount of gold factor in how you're able to carry it?

"IF" you consider a gold coin to be the size and weight of a quarter, 100 gold = 1.25 lbs. Therefore 100,000 gold = approximately 1250 lbs.

Now the reality of the matter is, based on the technology of the period, a gold coin probably weighs something closer to a 10th of a lb. Doing that math, 100k gold coins probably weigh a good deal more than 10,000 lbs. And would be hughly too bulky to carry around too boot. Realistically I'd say maybe 2* as much as a silver dollar (26.7 grams) making a grand total of 11,772.69 lbs for that money. I'm not carrying that much around my belt.

My old DM back in my PnP games would always nick us on this point. If we carried around any more than 100 gp, we ran a HUGE risk of getting pick-pocketed. His argument was, these things were twice the size of a Silver Dollar, so 100 would be VERY obvious to carry around. and he had a point (not that the DM needed to justify or anything, but it was nice when he did make sense). We 'Could' exchange for gems, but usually at a significant 'Exchange Rate'. And if we (extremely rarely) came across something like a Dragon hoard, we had to be very careful about how much treasure we hauled out of there. And one time we found a bag of holding that, after being filled up to the brim with gold and gems, mysteriously Ripped. Some Extra planar being became Immensely wealthy that day.

Since I don't think any sort of reliable Banking system would exist outside of Baldur's Gate, I'd say that gems would be the next most logical possibility.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Make your own medal..you have enough gold.

This is what I'm thinking of doing when having Neera in my party:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14495/neera-and-stockpiling-gems-and-jewellery

That's a lot of gems for 100k.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Settle for a donut instead?