Skip to content

Defeating Dryads and any other charming NPC?

I have a huge problem and I guess Im not the only one. Whenever I meet NPCs with some sort of charming ability (or rigid thinking for that matter) one of my PCs fail the saving throw and the game is lost. Why, because the charmed PC starts hitting everyone else and even though the charm stops, my other PCs continue to hit him. Sometimes, I need to reload the game 4 or 5 times just to get past a bloody Hamadryad. The dryad hardly gives me any problems (except charming one of my PCs) but the battle afterwards destroys the party. Can you please fix this bug!!! Another thing, does anyone know a good way to get around this?

Comments

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    Move your guys away from the charmed / confused / rigid thinking person.

And when the spell ends if someone is still trying to attack them pause the game with space bar and give them new orders.

Edit: Or you can try casting hold person on the charmed / confused / rigid thinking person to lock them down for a while.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    One possible strategy (my favourite) is to send your best tank alone. Make sure the other party members are kept far away, so they will not be attacked by your charmed or confused tank.

If the tank get charmed or confused just wait for the spell to wear off, then attack again. Repeat if necessary. Your tank should usually have enough HP to survive the process.

Also consider that enraged berserkers (or Minsc with his special ability) are immune to charm, stun, confusion, etc. Having one of those in your party will make the fight very easy.

Other possible strategies are

- to use summons immune to charm and confusion, e.g. skeletons

- to use spells like web or stinking cloud and attack with ranged weapons from afar

- to use one or more potions of clarity

- to use one or more scrolls of protection from magic
  • WendschlagWendschlag Member Posts: 33
    I've always felt that some encounters can not be done without a certain level in your cleric/mage spell book, or just with blind luck. Also you can use your archers to interrupt while they are casting, but that is a roll of the dice.
  • J_L_SeagullJ_L_Seagull Member Posts: 13
    I think you have misunderstood my problem. The above mentioned tactics works perfectly, but the problem is that if one of my PCs are charmed and attacks another party member, the other partys members attacks him, even AFTER the charm is gone. It doesnt even work to give them new orders, they still seek out the ex charmed PC and attack him.
    edited January 2013

I think you have misunderstood my problem. The above mentioned tactics works perfectly, but the problem is that if one of my PCs are charmed and attacks another party member, the other partys members attacks him, even AFTER the charm is gone. It doesnt even work to give them new orders, they still seek out the ex charmed PC and attack him.

Yep, I misunderstood your post. To solve your problem just select all party with the button at the bottom right of the UI and click the button that look like an X on the bottom left of the UI. This will stop all party actions at once, then you can give new orders.

Hope this help.
  • baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145
    i have had this issue as well. I find that just clicking the party link and moving all the party, but for the charmed npc, off even just a foot or so stops this. I am guessing the fact they have received new orders breaks their attack thinking.
  • J_L_SeagullJ_L_Seagull Member Posts: 13
    I tried giving them new orders but the NPC that got hit by the xcharmed NPC still seeks out the xcharmed one and tries to kill him. Minsc managed to chop my poor wizard down in 2 hits.
    edited January 2013

I tried giving them new orders but the NPC that got hit by the xcharmed NPC still seeks out the xcharmed one and tries to kill him. Minsc managed to chop my poor wizard down in 2 hits.

@J_L_Seagull

Try this

1) as soon as the charmed NPC hits another NPC press SPACEBAR to pause the game
    2) select all party
    3) press the button that looks like an "X" at the bottom of the UI to stop all actions
    4) give new orders
    5) press SPACEBAR again to resume the game

repeat 1) to 5) each time the charmed NPC hits another NPC.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I had something similar occur with Dorn and Rasaad, though I'm not sure what triggered it, since it happened in the FAI temple. Anyhow, it cleared up after an area transition (i.e. a wagon wheel, you must gather your party type) into the Inn itself.