Skip to content

A 14 year old game is now the 2012 GOTY

Washcloth_RepairmanWashcloth_Repairman Member Posts: 35
And I can't freaking wait.

Did I correctly hear "maybes" about a Baldur's Gate 3 if BG:EE and BG2:EE are successful? And would the player be the Bhaalspawn - presumably with a non-godhood ending of ToB as canon, since being a god, even a minor god, doesn't make for a very exciting game.

Comments

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    It makes me really sad when you put it like that.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Yep, go PM @TrentOster your bank account details and ensure the that we get a BG3!

Or better yet (and far less expensive), go pre-order BG:EE if you haven't yet and then enjoy it very soon!

Welcome to the forums, your name is epic.
    edited July 2012
    @wariisop

Because we don't want CHARNAME to end. We love the story, who wants another lame CHARNAME to step in with his self righteous ideals and chaos sewn passage, imposing his own sense of destiny upon the world?

I'm kidding man. I don't see where they can go with Bhaalspawn. A new story is good.
  • Washcloth_RepairmanWashcloth_Repairman Member Posts: 35
    Good point wariisop. Honestly, I hope it's not a direct continuation. Whether or not he's the new Lord of Murder, the Bhaalspawn's story is over as far as I'm concerned.
  • skrissakskrissak Member Posts: 24
    well whatever the story is going to be, minsc better be in it. :D
    @skrissak I'd rather have my ebon princess than Minsc, personally. And Edwina.
  • skrissakskrissak Member Posts: 24

@skrissak I'd rather have my ebon princess than Minsc, personally. And Edwina.

Ooo I do like me some Edwina. I'm very pumped for this game.
    @Washcloth_Repairman

Ebony princess, is that Dynaheir or Viconia? Both are good.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012
    I personally think a direct continuation would be tricky to do since your character would start out at an impractically high level, which takes away some of the fun and accomplishment of progressing your team through the game (a very important gameplay aspect IMO). Also all the NPCs life stories were sort of "rounded off" in the ToB epilogue.

That said, I would love to see a BG3 story line that ties in with the Bhaalspawn saga in a way that brings back some of the original characters, even if they are not playable as party members.
    @Ward Viconia. There's no other woman for me.
  • CharlytanCharlytan Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2012
    @warrisop True, true. There’s plenty of other lands in The Forgotten Realms for them to explore and use for games.

The only real problem, I see, is that BG1 was named Baldur’s Gate, because it took place around…. Well, Baldur’s Gate, lol. Even though BG2 took place in Amn, it carried over the name because it was a continuation/sequel.

So, if they were to make BG3 with a whole new story, and in a whole new land. They might as well just call it, Waterdeep, Dambrath, Sembia, or whatever place they choose to set it in. It wouldn’t even be considered BG3 because of the mass changes. (Which, I’m totally not against! I would love to see more lands brought to the IE games.)

In retrospect, it would be like writing about Harry Potter’s neighbor that lives four blocks down, but still continuing to call the story “Harry Potter”. No one cares about Bob!!... lol, that would be funny though… A Harry Potter book with no real link to the original series.

Anywho, my point is, I guess that’s why so many people are assuming that BG3 will be a continuation of the series. Still, Wash’s right, the Bhaalspawn story is over. They can’t really do much with it now. XD

(Edit: lmao, I can't get over that book idea)
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    wariisop said:

Why does everyone assume that it has to be a direct continuation of the original story? Icewind Dale did great by connection the area, but not using the same party members, that could easily be done for Baldur's Gate, it isn't like the Forgotten Realms universe doesn't have more cities and stories to tell.

because the whole thng about Baldur's Gate is the saga of the Bhaal Spawn... If baldur's Gate 3 is not about him... we could consider Icewind dale, or neverWinter Night to be baldur's gate 3 too... I can't see how a Baldur's Gate 3 can be done
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128

Did I correctly hear "maybes" about a Baldur's Gate 3 if BG:EE and BG2:EE are successful? And would the player be the Bhaalspawn - presumably with a non-godhood ending of ToB as canon, since being a god, even a minor god, doesn't make for a very exciting game.

Well there is a BG3 but they changed its name after godhood.

İt is called Black&White now :P
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Talvrae said:

wariisop said:

If baldur's Gate 3 is not about him... we could consider Icewind dale, or neverWinter Night to be baldur's gate 3 too... I can't see how a Baldur's Gate 3 can be done

Easily actually, You set the game 100 years after the original ( any new rpg in FR will 100 years after BG2 ) in the Area of baldurs gate and it surroundings - maybe even more to the north and east. Baldurs Gate is much bigger city in this time line according to the lore, so it wont be the same city as BG1, you can put some long-live races npcs such as elfs and dwarfs scattered across the game, just for the connection and memories and vuala you have BG3 - Baldurs Gate is the city name after all, and I provided you some connection to the first game.

• Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    cyberarmy said:

Well there is a BG3 but they changed its name after godhood.

İt is called Black&White now :P
    I can just see myself on black and white talking to my monkey friends.

"It's time for more.. experiments."
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Ward said:

@wariisop

Because we don't want CHARNAME to end. We love the story, who wants another lame CHARNAME to step in with his self righteous ideals and chaos sewn passage, imposing his own sense of destiny upon the world?

I'm kidding man. I don't see where they can go with Bhaalspawn. A new story is good.

I think it'd be cool to start over as a new hero and hear of your previous character's exploits (eg. "import" your character from BG II:EE and all they did).
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2012
    Baldur's Gate 1 was called like that because of the city (I must be Sherlock Holmes, doh)
    Baldur's Gate 2 (considering it doesn't play in BG at all) was called like that because it was the continuation of the BG1 story and probably also because of marketing reasons.

But the story ended with ToB, so IMO the only logical way to do Baldur's Gate 3 would be to do it the same way Icewind Dale 2 was made:

-New timeline
    -New characters
    -New story
    -Same (mostly) areas
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    In my opinion there needs to be a direct connection with the story. Even if it means a new story but, it needs that connection.

I really dislike games which just basically ignore what has happened and act as though nothing happened.

I did read "The Black Hound" storyline and I personally disliked the way it went off too much at a tangent.

In short: They need to link it back to the original games somehow.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    What about a character who believes that he/she is somehow related to the original Bhaalspawn, and other people believe this, too, and try to manipulate him/her to overthrow the free cities on the Sword Coast and make it another kingdom under him/her? Part of the story is finding out who you really are, and part is resisting or not resisting the call to try and make yourself King/Queen. And maybe you aren't related to original CHARNAME but to a different Bhaalspawn? (Child of Sarevok and Tamoko, anyone?)
  • catheraainecatheraaine Member Posts: 52
    LadyRhian said:

What about a character who believes that he/she is somehow related to the original Bhaalspawn, and other people believe this, too, and try to manipulate him/her to overthrow the free cities on the Sword Coast and make it another kingdom under him/her? Part of the story is finding out who you really are, and part is resisting or not resisting the call to try and make yourself King/Queen. And maybe you aren't related to original CHARNAME but to a different Bhaalspawn? (Child of Sarevok and Tamoko, anyone?)

Or even a ward of CHARNAME, so that you're starting similar to BG1

though all the open-endedness may make that difficult. Where would they put you?

WARD OF MINSC!?!?!?!?! lolz
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2012
    I`d like to see what is going on in other places of Faerun at that time. The times right after the Time of Troubles are quite interesting. What about the Heartlands with its multiple Dead and Wild Magica Areas?
    Or the growing desert of Anauroch? Maybe someone should try to discover why it has started to grow once more...
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    It should somehow have a clear connection with either the characters or areas that we are all familiar with. Like meeting the female Edwina, ruling over a large city. Meeting Korgan in a dwarven stronghold, or seeing his grave. Depends on the timeline

• karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    I would like to see a continuation of the BG:Saga, dunno how it'll turn out - as long there won't be a red, green and blue ending - I'm happy. :)
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    The main problem with it not being a direct continuation, especially 14 years after the fact, is that people will want the characters they have spent the last 14 years developing attachments to to play a major role in it.

While I would love a BG3 in theory, releasing a new "franchise" that is a more direct spiritual successor to BG/2 would be a wiser idea for not pissing fans off. 'cause no Nalia in BG3 = sad me. =(
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135

I think it'd be cool to start over as a new hero and hear of your previous character's exploits (eg. "import" your character from BG II:EE and all they did).

Heh, well you don't really need to import your character, since all the quests have only one way of ending in BG1 and 2.

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    wariisop said:

Why does everyone assume that it has to be a direct continuation of the original story? Icewind Dale did great by connection the area, but not using the same party members, that could easily be done for Baldur's Gate, it isn't like the Forgotten Realms universe doesn't have more cities and stories to tell.

Because Icewind Dale NEVER get an deep insight of their NPCs, after all WE CREATED the NPCs there. Icewind dale was literally a game based on the geographic region of icewind dale, and not on the personal struggle of the party leader.

Would you make a Planescape: "Torment" without nameless one?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I think prequel is the only satisfying way to go for a "continuation" of the storyline. The plot would essentially be about Bhaal's intrigues during the Time of Troubles. We'd learn more about Gorion and the Harpers. I would imagine we'd also get more backstory on Sarevok's mentor Winski Perorate.

The protagonist then of course cannot be the Bhaalspawn of BG and BG2. But for RP purposes this is an intrigue-laden world and there could be a many options to side with various factions during the Time of Torubles.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645

LadyRhian said:

Or even a ward of CHARNAME, so that you're starting similar to BG1

though all the open-endedness may make that difficult. Where would they put you?

WARD OF MINSC!?!?!?!?! lolz
    Oh, BG3 could be based on CHARNAME and Aerie's offspring ... IT SHOULD HAVE WINGS TOO AND BE ABLE TO FLY, half Human, half Avarial with wings and god inherited powers, that would be soooo awesome.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256

Ward said:

@wariisop

YES!
    During your trip, you could encounter references to your old party, and even to the old charname as well! Then you could travel to explore new areas that we haven't seen yet, still taking the time to visit Baldur's Gate or Athkatla...
    Different story, different characters, but same lore and same territory... well, not exactly the same territory, it would be nice to see something that lies a bit further away.

This is my idea of a BG3.