Skip to content

Proper High Level spell casting tables

ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
edited January 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Implement the correct high level spell casting tables for Wizards, Priests, and Bards. Spell Progression stops at 30. (Sorcercers gain 1 more spell per day up to 9th over a wizard except they don't get their first 10th level slot till 22 (which means they max out 3 10th level), since they're able to learn all the 10th level spells, rather then just 2 max)

*Cropped out of the 2nd edition High Level rules Guide

Most of the other High Level rules have been implemented more or less correctly, so give the spell casters their proper progressions. (Bards especially, since they're already horribly gimp'd from a lot of their class perks being left unimplemented with no compensation, as well as further gimping their abilities by not allowing them to place multiple points in two weapon style as all rogues are able to do (If you're lazy, Icewind Dale 1 uses the High Level Bard spell progression chart, so you could just steal it from there and rename it, for a quick fix)

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure, but I think you can do this with the BG2 tweak pack.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    It sort of does, but doesn't add a separate page for 10th lvl spells or divine Quest spells, and allows casting progression beyond 30, which shouldn't happen.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Would HLA cleric/druid spells be considered level 8 (i.e. one level higher than the highest level of 'normal' cleric/druid spells)?
    Quest spells are functionally the same as10th level arcane spells (with regard to spells/effects that block effects of a certain level), but could technically be called 8th level divine spells (they'd simply be placed in a new 8th spellbook page just for quest spells. And while they'd have 1 slot at 20, a single class cleric can't take HLA until 22. On the other hand, they level a lot faster then mages do, so it's not a huge issue in the long run.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    I concur; it is better for 10th level spells to have their own slots and for Quest level spells to be separate from 7th level. If this can be implemented to mages and priests these classes do not need that many other HLAs.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Does the P&P manual specifically state that no spells are gained beyond level 30, or is it simply that the tables don't go any higher than that?
    The PnP manual (High Level Campaigns) says that level 30 is the absolute maximum, divine ascension is the next step.
    Separate leafs in the spellbooks for 10th level and Quest level spells was one of those things I hoped for whe BGEE was announced. BG2EE isn't out yet so there is time... I'm still hoping.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    Good idea, as is implementing a separate spell level for 10th level spells. Admittedly this would make high level casters even more powerful, but what the hell, balance pretty much flies out the window once you get access to Timestop anyway...
    aldain said:

Admittedly this would make high level casters even more powerful...

I don't either see this as a problem. They will perhaps be slightly more powerful as they would be able to cast some more spells. The problmem is not that, it is that 10th lvl and quest lvl spells are awkwardly (is that a word?) implemented and should be reworked. The present solution is quite annoying actually.
    Yeah, I would recommend nerfing IA to it's PnP version (doesn't remove 1 spell per round limit). Reduces spell cast time by 5 for spells up to 9th level to a minimum of 1, for 4 rounds). And introduce lesser and normal Aclarity at 4th (-2 speed, 3rd and under, 2 rounds) and 7th (-3 speed, 6th and under, 3 rounds).

And put in a stop gap to prevent items that reduce cast speed from dropping it below 1 (though with the 1 spell per round limit in place it's not a huge difference, it would be a slight nerf to wild mages, but that's it). No spell should go lower then 1 cast speed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.