Skip to content

what actually happens if you don't play true to your alignment?

i never really thought about it but what happens if you roll a chaotic evil hero and only play good? does anything happen?

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Nope. Nothing at all.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Nope. The only effect it has is on starting reputation and IIRC on some npc's who dislike good/evil characters. (it might only be in bg2). Also. If your reputation gets too high with your evil crew then they will disband.
  • SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
    Later on in bg2 depending on choices during a trial you can switch alignments.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    other than paladins, nothing.
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    Howie said:

other than paladins, nothing.

what happens to paladins?
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    A paladin can become fallen and lose some abilities, if I remember correctly
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    same with rangers too, right?

what happens to paladins?

You get shot in the knee and turned into a guard.

You are fallen and lose some abilities, can't cast spells and need to talk to a priest for atonement, can't remember the process tho.
    mjs said:

same with rangers too, right?

Sadly no, that only happens in PnP. Paladins can be fallen by drinking too much btw.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Rangers do fall in BG. I think it's at Rep 4 or less.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Rangers can fall too, although their treshold to do so is more forgiving than a paladin's.
  • RhaegarRhaegar Member Posts: 25
    Rangers and paladins fall based on rep.

Nothing you do in bg1 will change your algnment, even if you are rep 1 the whole game.

My evil playthrough its tempting to be good and just play as evil so I can use drizzts twinkle sword
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    You'll be banned from the Roleplay forum ;-)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    The alignment police will team up with the roleplaying police to make your miserable life even more miserable - (and you won't get a cookie!)
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    decado said:

The roleplayer elite guild will come round to your RL house and lay some beatings down on you before wiping your PC.

lol
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    You'll begin to feel dirty for your failure to keep in character, before beginning to scrub at your skin with wire wool screaming "Unclean! Unclean!"

Or perhaps 'tis just me?
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    so it won't matter if i play my true neutral shapeshifter at 20 rep? :)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Not in the slightest.

The only potential fallout will be that your evil NPC party members will bail on you.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    A bitter tear will run down the cheek of your Dungeon Master.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    Pantalion said:

You'll begin to feel dirty for your failure to keep in character, before beginning to scrub at your skin with wire wool screaming "Unclean! Unclean!"

Or perhaps 'tis just me?

I feel exactly like that. I wanted to make a lawful neutral cleric/mage for the ferret familiar. But I cant keep to that alignment, I am Chaotic Neutral. I love robbing houses and being able to do anything at anytime. In the middle of a deadly serious quest that I'm supposed to do..... oh look a cave with lots of treasure to explore!!! :D
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Severon said:

Pantalion said:

Or perhaps 'tis just me?

I feel exactly like that. I wanted to make a lawful neutral cleric/mage for the ferret familiar. But I cant keep to that alignment, I am Chaotic Neutral. I love robbing houses and being able to do anything at anytime. In the middle of a deadly serious quest that I'm supposed to do..... oh look a cave with lots of treasure to explore!!! :D
    This is one of the reasons I play evil... Classic example that's come up here recently - "Hey Lothander, good news, we've found the scroll to remove your geas. Bad news, we like your boots..." :-)

My paladin regularly makes Imoen open all the doors and chests in Beregost and check for signs of evil, as well as taking advances on tithes.

A twist on the tree in the forest question: "Does a paladin really fall if no one is around to see him ransacking their house?"

Helm sees ALL!!!!
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about how the characters alignment should be played since I think the system kind of encourages very onedimensional characters and the system is implemented awfully in BG too?
    Darkcloud said:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about how the characters alignment should be played since I think the system kind of encourages very onedimensional characters and the system is implemented awfully in BG too?

So wouldn't that mean the character that doesn't adhere to his chosen alignment would have no dimension at all? Acts one way at one time and another way at another time on a whim or to meta-game or because it's Monday?

Alignment is nothing more than a way to give some definition to your character - it's certainly possible to choose one thats loose enough to give you assorted options - (rather than choosing one thats totally against the way you plan to play.)
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Wanderon said:

Darkcloud said:

So wouldn't that mean the character that doesn't adhere to his chosen alignment would have no dimension at all? Acts one way at one time and another way at another time on a whim or to meta-game or because it's Monday?

Alignment is nothing more than a way to give some definition to your character - it's certainly possible to choose one thats loose enough to give you assorted options - (rather than choosing one thats totally against the way you plan to play.)
    In general yes but the way games handle it, it is way to limiting because the dialogue choice also have a set reason put behind why the character says this and without a way to change alignment there is little room for paradigm changes because of something that had a huge influence on your character happened.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Except to paladin or rangers, not a damn thing. That whole system is shoddy and messed up, it REALLY needs an overhaul...check below for some suggestions.

would be nice if
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/239234/#Comment_239234
  • JTMJTM Member Posts: 70

i never really thought about it but what happens if you roll a chaotic evil hero and only play good? does anything happen?

Being evil does have certain consequences in and of itself. You will be attacked on sight in BG by a certain individual.. You also will not be able to equip any thing that requires a good alignment. There are workarounds to these particular instances of course but, just doing good deeds with an evil character has no effect afaik.

You would think that perhaps some consequences for the Blackguard if rep gets too high, but there's no implementation... http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6894/will-blackguards-fall-if-their-reputation-goes-to-high

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Except that there is no mention ANYWHERE that Blackguards or Anti-paladins can fall, no source anywhere even hints this..because they can't.

(The closest rule I can find is the one I mentioned in that post, where classes and kits with alignment restrictions can't gain experience while they're a disallowed alignment, but with exception to Paladin and Rangers who permanently lose all their abilities and become fighters and thus no longer have a required alignment, everyone else continues to function just fine, they merely can't progress further until their alignment has become an acceptable one, or they dual-class to a class with an Acceptable alignment).

I.e. A Kensai that becomes Chaotic can't progress further, because he lacks the minimum discipline to further develop his skills, but can continue to use the ones he's already perfected. Or a Multi-class F/D that ceases to be true neutral can progress as a fighter, but cannot progress further as a druid, since they've become out of sync with the balance and cannot grow further with nature's gifts until they can find find their way back into balance (They can still use what spell and abilities they've have even when out of sync, but are still bound by their normal druid oaths that disable all their druid spells and other special abilities if they use disallowed weapons or armor, until 24 hours after they've removed the offending item.)

The all the complete paladin says about anti-paladins is that they are NOT Chaotic Evil only opposites of paladins, and shouldn't be treated as such. They are champions of evil yes, and the being of the foulest sort, often consorting with Fiends and using black magic, and it specifically directs the DM to NOT consider them merely an evil-version opposite of a paladin.