Skip to content

BGEE works with Wine?

124»

Comments

• soulafein83soulafein83 Member Posts: 28
    Just to be sure I prepared a test. On (X)ubuntu 12.04 game doesn't work. On version 12.10 it runs (on my laptop without crack). I think it's related to the mesa driver version - newest 9.0 in 12.10.
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    edited December 2012
    @FelixKah the first patch probably removed dependecy on lanucher (very first version of BG:EE needed to be run via lancher, otherwise it didn't start with an error something like 'you need to log into your beamdog account').
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641

azurit said:

playing on wine, runs coool :)

But how to play ?? Installer doesn't work ...
    Installer of course will not work because it uses netframework which wine barely supports.
    Install on windows. Copy the BG folder to a pendrive. Copy BG folder to your linux hard drive. Launch the BG after applying 'the fix'* via Baldur.exe.

*(it's not a legal way so I will not discuss it here... btw it's sad we have to use illegal ways to get legal copy to work. I hope they will remove unnecessary DRM asap. The launcher is just obnoxious.)

EDIT: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/zrzutekranuz20121129184.png/ :)
    Don't know if this has been noted or not but DRM was part of their requirements to obtain the license for this product. It wasn't Beamdog's choice to put DRM in and they managed to negotiate the least possible DRM for the product they could. The discussion has come up several times, check the various threads for the conversation.

They won't remove the DRM, they CAN'T remove the DRM.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    FelixKah said:

But I guess the same Intel related problems apply with Virtualbox? My laptop has Intel HD graphics so I'm kinda bound to wine... for now.

... I just realized you could update the game in Virtualbox and then start the .exe via wine! Have to try it out.

NO, that is not the case (re Graphics issues). That's the beauty of Virtualbox. Virtualization software like Virtualbox extracts the hardware from the instance...instead of the virutal guest reading and writing to an intel graphics card, it reads and writes to a generic virtual box driver that then gets translated to the intel graphics adapter by the hypervisor.

IN other words, the graphics adapter that your virtualbox guest sees is NOT the intel card your laptop/desktop has...this is why people are reporting virtualbox to work where as they can't get it to run on their windows PC.
  • FB3009FB3009 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I am actually quite new to linux and switched just before bg:ee was released. So basically I am just starting to find my way around linux and am feeling a bit clueless on how to make bg:ee work. I started bgeeinstaller.exe with wine and that seemed to work fine. However, when starting the BGEE.exe with wine...nothing... I had a bit of a look around but not quite sure how to tackle this so help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers.
  • FB3009FB3009 Member Posts: 2
    sorry, forget to add: i am using ubuntu 12.10
    FB3009 said:

sorry, forget to add: i am using ubuntu 12.10

FB3009 said:

Hey guys, I am actually quite new to linux and switched just before bg:ee was released. So basically I am just starting to find my way around linux and am feeling a bit clueless on how to make bg:ee work. I started bgeeinstaller.exe with wine and that seemed to work fine. However, when starting the BGEE.exe with wine...nothing... I had a bit of a look around but not quite sure how to tackle this so help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers.

As I said before - You have to install Bg:ee in Windows, then copy instalation folder into linux partition and run Baldur.exe file in wine. Make sure you have newest wine (beta 1.5.19). As far as I know it's the only way to play bg in ubuntu. And remember when you want to update the game you have to use Windows then copy files into linux partition.
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    i'm playing it without problems on wine 1.4
  • Benno_NymBenno_Nym Member Posts: 4
    I've installed the game on Windows 7 (64 bit) and copied it to my Ubuntu Laptop with wine 1.5.19. I've added
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    to the Baldur.ini file.

The game works perfectly fine, except for the fact that the terrain is completely blank. Imagine the texture of the map being replaced by solid white. When I open the map with "m" it looks completely fine. The problem only shows in the normal play mode.

Has anybody faced this problem before and/or knows a solution?
    There is no need to put OpenGl Version 1 in baldur.ini . Are you using 12.10 ubuntu?
    If I don't put that line into Baldur.ini the terrain is completely black and I'm at about 0.3 Fps (one Frame every three seconds). With the line, it's very smooth.

I'm using ubuntu 12.04 32 bit with kernel 3.2.0-35
    btw the same problem occurs when I play it in a virtual machine running windows 7. I just tried that. Seems to be related to my graphics hardware somehow.
    As I said before BGEE NEEDS a 12.10. Upgrade your mesa driver to 9.0 or upgrade your entire system to 12.10. It's the only way to play the game. Check out my previous posts :)
    Thanks, upgrading mesa to 9 worked.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    Any news on the linux version? I haven't downloaded my pre-ordered copy yet, waiting for the linux one.. :) let's hope (for me of course) it's going to be here soon!
  • tomty89tomty89 Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2012
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI1MDg
    Unless something like this: http://kotaku.com/5967965/obsidian-almost-made-baldurs-gate-3
    happens again, there should be one. However it would probably be a long wait. Lowest priority I guess? LOL

I am thrilled. But I hope that it would be truly a Linux version but not an Ubuntu version.
  • FelixKahFelixKah Member Posts: 18
    With all the problems and issues the developers have to deal with it's very unlikely we'll see a native Linux version coming in the near future, although it is confirmed by Trent Oster. But with Ubuntu 12.10 and Wine 1.5 there is no reason why anyone shouldn't play the Windows version instead. Aside from the launcher it's really stable.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    Yes, aside from the launcher..which is a blocker for me (I don't have a windows copy, so I can't do the trick explained here).

Besides, it's more of a point of principle. Any linux user should strive to have a native version and pay for it, because that's the only way we're going to speed up the port of other games.

Thank you for the links tomty89! That's good news. And from the second one, even though is sad, I read:

'And if Beamdog approached Obsidian about working together on Baldur's Gate 3 in some form?

"Yeah of course," Urquhart said. "We wanna work on great games. If that was something they were interested in, sure, we'd totally talk about it."'

And yeah, that's a very nice dream/hope to have. I've supported Project Eternity via kickstarter with 35$ I think, but having BeamDog and Obsidian guys together for a BG3 (or a forgotten realms-based RPG of the same style) would make me contribute with at least 100$ to see that thing happen. Especially if there'll be a linux version :)
  • FelixKahFelixKah Member Posts: 18
    The Linux version *is* coming, that's for sure. The only question is when is it coming. But with all the other issues personally I'd rather the developers work on a stable windows version first before even thinking about porting it to another system. That has nothing to do with the principle of the general Linux support for future games which I also highly support.
  • tomty89tomty89 Member Posts: 47
    I don't know why but I just couldn't play it with Wine and Arch Linux. Save issue, black screen.

The point is, Wine could hardly gain any official support from Overhaul (especially when WotC might be monitoring this, I don't know LOL) so when there is any bug, issue, etc., we won't get any fix or help. And don't forget the multiplayer part, though it's not even stable in the Windows version.

And because of the sensitive issue about DRM, I don't know if I could ask anything about the download / install issue. So I don't even know if I must install BGEE in Windows first (!) or I could simply get it through the torrent (Horribly slow since there seems to be no official seeding), while I don't want to download it from a crack site after I have paid for it.

As a Linuxer trying to stick to open source stuff, I really don't want to use winetrick to install dotnet stuff from M$ (Does that even work?). I don't even use Wine before I get the original BGs sometime ago, though it's fun to see that it does a better job than Windows 7/8.

By the way, I've been thinking that if BG3 should really be made. You know, the story is basically ended. So if it's going to be a whole new story, why don't just leave the holy name at peace? Though it would be great to see a good new title with D&D and FR again after such a long time.
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2013
    hello,

I'm running fedora 18 kernel version 3.7.2-201.fc18.x86_64, using wine-1.5.20, Nvidia driver version 304.64 (graphics card is Nvidia GTX 550 ti) and Open GL mesa driver version is 9.0.1

I had the error "err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution." whitch I fixed by installing Samba, I have found the fix here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19444&iTestingId=63699&bShowAll=true in the section "Steam client crash when authenticating user. "

and I am having some trouble with running BGEE, I have installed BGEE on my windows 7 partition and it works fine on windows 7, but when I run it on wine i get the following error messages:

EDIT: added "LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose" to the command.
    # LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose wine Baldur.exe
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f9c0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",0,0x32f9c0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW (L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",1,0x32f9c0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x32f9c0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f9c0,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),1,0x32f9c0,0x00000000), stub!
    libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
    err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly (using GL renderer "GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2", version "1.4 (2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.64)").
    err:wgl:glxdrv_wglSetPixelFormat Invalid iPixelFormat: 0
    err:wgl:glxdrv_wglSetPixelFormat Invalid iPixelFormat: 0
    ^Cfixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 8 on event 0
    AL lib: ReleaseALC: 1 device not closed

the answer is somewhere in this line "libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast" I believe but after some searching (and fixing other stuff) I am quite tired and need to rest. I will look into it later when I get the chance but is any one has had the same issue and has a fix it would be grate, otherwise I will be looking into it wen I can.
    Post edited by D3V11_ on
    ok I got it working.

I believe I was missing the 32 bit nvidia libs.

To fix this, install the proper 32 bit libraries "yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686"

seems to be working perfectly now. hope this helps any one running fedora 64 bit system, or any one at all that is having trouble.
    edited January 2013
    there is a slight bug when switching from windowed mode back to full screen, going from full screen to windowed mode works perfectly but the other way around there is some funny behavior (not really sure how to describe it), but to get back you must set it to full screen mode at witch point you will experience "the odd behavior" than you must kill the BGEE application that is running, when you start up BGEE again it will be back to Full screen mode.

EDIT: this is when BGEE is running in WINE on Fedora 18 64 bit.