Skip to content

[BG1+2] Throwing Axe, flag inconsistency

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited November 2012 in Fixed
There is an inconsistency between Throwing Axes and whether or not they will add a Strength Bonus to weapon damage.

In both BG1 and BG2:
AX1H04 - when thrown, will add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.
AX1H05 - when thrown, will NOT add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.

The same is true for these items in BG2.

In BG2:
AX1H08 - when thrown, will add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.
AX1H09 - when thrown, will add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.
AX1H10 - when thrown, will NOT add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.
AX1H16 - when thrown, will add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.

I believe they were all meant to add Strength Bonus to weapon damage on throwing, or they were all meant NOT to add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.

I think they should all have the add Strength Bonus to weapon damage flag :)
Post edited by Balquo on
BhryaenDiscoCatlansounet

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    In PnP, all hurled weapons add the character's strength bonus to the damage roll. Seeing as the majority of the items reported in OP do, and only a very selected few don't, my guess is that the latter don't due to an oversight on the developers' part. Therefore, the strength bonus to damage should be added to them.
    DiscoCat
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The same is true of the [BOW08] and [BOW99] in BG2.

These two [add Strength Bonus] to weapon damage, whereas in BG1 they do not.
    However there is no [BOW99] in BG1.
    Bhryaen
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182

In PnP, all hurled weapons add the character's strength bonus to the damage roll. Seeing as the majority of the items reported in OP do, and only a very selected few don't, my guess is that the latter don't due to an oversight on the developers' part. Therefore, the strength bonus to damage should be added to them.

Aren't slings + bullets also considered hurled weapons in PnP?
    Nope. No Bow or Sling in BG1 uses the flag "Add Strength Bonus" for damage.

In BG2, it would make sense for the [Strong Arm Bow], requires 19 strength, to add Strength Bonus to damage.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Boaster said:

In both BG1 and BG2:
    AX1H04 - when thrown, will add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.
    AX1H05 - when thrown, will NOT add Strength Bonus to weapon damage.

Neither of these use strength bonus on ranged attacks in BG1.
    Boaster said:

Nope. No Bow or Sling in BG1 uses the flag "Add Strength Bonus" for damage.

All slings in BG1 add strength bonuses. They changed their mind in BG2.

Bhryaen
    ...and while I'm here:

BG1/BG2 are not PnP.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    CamDawg said:

...and while I'm here:

BG1/BG2 are not PnP.

That's what I meant with the sling comment

I was looking at BG TuTu. Dang it.

I'll look back through.

BG1
    [Bow08] - Adds Strength Bonus.
    [Bow99] - Adds Strength Bonus.
    [SLNG01] - Adds Strength Bonus.
    [SLNG02] - Adds Strength Bonus.
    [AX1H06] - Adds Strength Bonus.

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited July 2012
    CamDawg said:

BG1/BG2 are not PnP.

As much as they aren't PnP, I advocate that they should at least be consistent: either all thrown axes add strength to damange, or none do. Unless, of course, there was an explicit ingame justification for this mismatched behavior, thus marking it undoubtedly as intended. Picking a random number of thrown axes and making them behave differently for no apparent reason looks more like an oversight than intended behavior to me.
    Post edited by AndreaColombo on
    Bhryaen

As much as they aren't PnP, I advocate that they should at least be consistent: either all thrown axes add strength to damange, or none do. Unless, of course, there was an explicit ingame justification for this mismatched behavior, thus marking it undoubtedly as intended. Picking a random number of thrown axes and making them behave differently for no apparent reason looks more like an oversight than intended behavior to me.

They are consistent; no axes in BG1 use ranged strength bonuses as ax1h06 is unused. There's nothing here to be fixed with axes.

bow08's strength bonus should probably be removed, though, as it's the sole bow with it (bow99 is also unused).
    Bhryaen
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2012
    CamDawg said:

bow08's strength bonus should probably be removed, though, as it's the sole bow with it.

Yeah, BOW08 also has that funky effect on the ability, so for all we know it was the product of intern week at Bioware, or something.
    Bhryaen
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Wow, this is a lot more contentious an issue than I suspected... lol
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I also remember talk about this in the beta. Did anything come of it? @Tanthalas
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Balquo

I think the bow was addressed, but I'm not sure about the Throwing Axes. I'll check it with NI later.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    The bow was addressed. Axes/slings are untouched. This is fine but I think there should be consistency between BG:EE and BG2:EE.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Balquo

/shrug

I want consistency too. I guess this is something that will be addressed when BG2EE comes along.
    Oxford_Guy
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I think a patch would be more logical. If it only comes along at Bg2:EE, then it would create another inconsistency, but backwards. But before that let us celebrate the start.