Skip to content

As what race you could never play in BG/RPGs

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I can't imagine an Half-Orc as the protagonist.
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    Dwarves here... I cannot picture my toons as 250lb 4 ft ladies with beards.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    my most recent character was a Genasi with multiple personality disorder. In Baldurs Gate however, i think I have played pretty much every race. I like Gnomes for specilised multiclass thief/illusionist, but mainly play the taller races for the love interests.

Why can't my cheeky illusionist make Vic think he is tall and romance her eh ;)
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I probably wouldn't like to play as a gnome but I think they are interesting. I find half-orcs a bit wierd... maybe the new npc will change that, i hope it's well made. For me its a risk, half orc is probably the hardest race to get right.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    I played every race. Can't wait to do it again. :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I always play Half-Elf or Human for my BG Main Characters. I'm much more varied in other games, but I always stick with those in BG, both 1 and 2.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I could never sink so low to play a gnome or halfling.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012
    I cannot stand playing an elf character. I think its Legolas's fault

I hate Gnomes and Halflings unless I roleplay with them, then its fun
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    In BG or P&P I played nearly all races except Gnomes. Half-orcs and dwarves were rare. I played lots of humans, elves and halflings but could never enjoy the gnome, can't really figure why....
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    I can't figure out why people seem to dislike gnomes. They are one of my favorites! I like how they are a bit down to earth like dwarfs, yet aloof and "weird" at times too. They are just lovely. My preferred races are probably half-elf, gnome and human. After that comes half-orc I guess.
  • RunarielRunariel Member Posts: 13
    If possible I always go for a female dwarf, even though they only really look good in DA:O. I hated DA2 most of all because it forced me to play a human, which I avoid where possible. A bearded dwarf lady still looks better than those broad-shouldered, boring humans :-)
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Could never play a half-orc or the elven races.
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    Gnomes, they're not very interesting and they're very limited in what they can do well. I always tried to play a half-elf, but humans made better characters for every class.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I could never play as Dwarves or Gnomes. I want to like them, I just can't.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited July 2012
    I didn't enjoy playing dwarves until WoW, I think they just nailed the beards. That said, nothing has ever induced me to play a dwarf in NWN for very long, despite my new found dwarf appreciation.
  • goolergooler Member Posts: 3
    i only play as human, elf, half-elf or gnome since i Always want to be mage or sorcerer
    With Tyrion from game of thrones making Dwarves cool, maybe I'll try rolling one up in EE
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    Damn why people dont say why they hate playing certain race.
    I HATE Halfing because they represent small weak people who talk too much and on their free time they prefer not voilent games unlike half ogres.
    I guess if i was small in real life i would be more attracted to this race but they seems like bunch of WEEKLINGS TO ME BAH.
    Half orcs rule all. Strength is all you need baby. -In real life too :P.
    Those who didnt try half orces missed lot of staff: bereserk half orc with 20 strength as a start... is a good start :D.
    Intelligence in BG world can be just as important as Strength. A Mage at higher levels is awesome and will dominate your half-Orc.

Also I dislike Dwarves because they are ugly and have silly beards.
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    Delvarian said:

Intelligence in BG world can be just as important as Strength. A Mage at higher levels is awesome and will dominate your half-Orc.

Also I dislike Dwarves because they are ugly and have silly beards.

Intelligence is stupid stat and i will explain why. I see intelligence as learning,reasoning,problem solving and planning.
    Wisdom which is deeper understanding of the environment,people,situations without interfering emotions.
    Half orc with high strength,wisdom,constitution, medium level intelligence(he is not stupid just not smart pants like all this geek mages, lets say 10 or even 9), Medium dexterity, and low Charisma.
    This Half Orc can understand when people try to manipulate him, also he will know that proud mages as yourself will understimate our kin and by that you will do huge mistake. Half orcs cant cast spells like others races but potions againt magic resistance and haste and like all flesh your mage will fall with 1 succeful blow.
    And yes i played mages and i like them less then bereserker for example who enters his rage and non of you weakling mages can stop him.
  • CharlytanCharlytan Member Posts: 27
    So I’m not alone on this then. XD

I’ve tried playing as a gnome so many times, but in the end, I’ve always just rerolled my characters. I just can’t go beyond 1-2 levels as one. I’m not sure why though, since it doesn’t seem that perplex. The unusual part is that I adore playing as Gnomes/Halflings in MMO games, just not in BG or IW.

As far as sub-races go; Dark Elf Is another race that I just can’t find myself playing, however I know the reason behind this issue though. Even if they’re fairly built with decent stats, the fact that they’re a +3 Level adjustment really ruins it for me. Just seeing that alone makes me cringe, lol. I know it’s not much to justify not playing one, but it really does make me turn the other cheek, since I prefer to play weak characters over the stronger ones.
    Half-orcs are easy to anger, and as we know anger leads to hate and hate leads to the dark side. Evil holds the seed of its own destruction. When you become angry you make mistakes, and are easy prey to a fireball upside the head. You will not be given the chance to land a single blow.
    In conclusion: Mages rule and Half-orcs drool. Thank you.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    humans.

i'm already one in real life, no real reason to be one in the games i'm playing if given a choice.
  • Pipe249Pipe249 Member Posts: 17
    halflings and gnomes, idk why i hate them

dwarves and humans all the way :D
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Dwarves. Really no way I'll ever play a Dwarf, and I have no real issue with halflings or gnomes though I usually prefer humans, elf or half elf . Same goes for the thief class; it's just really not my style.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2012
    I love playing dwarfs in pretty much any game I can.. but my big problem with that in BG is that the romances are only elf and half elf.. and dwarf + elf is just wrong ><

So i usualy end up playing human male as well.. really a shame.. but you cant fight those romance options :(
  • Flameguard27Flameguard27 Member Posts: 37
    I don't play as Halflings and Gnomes. I usually play as half-elf or elf because i prefer to play as a mage/sorcerer.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Entirely depends on the in game appearance.
    It's funny, I love a big selection of races in the games I play, but yet always end up playing a human or an elf. However in Skyrim I said to hell with that and played a cute little cat girl (the meowmix or whatever that race is). So I've decided to try rolling a Dwarf or Gnome in BGEE and see what happens.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Never played a Half-Orc. Not suitable for anything other than a fighter. Possibly gnomes, they're just silly but I could play one in a Dragonlance campaign.