Skip to content

[BG:EE] PLEASE READ - LIST OF THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED.

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited July 2012
    It's looking like Beamdog is finding the sweet spot of maintaining the integrity of the original game experience, on the one hand, and truly enhancing it, on the other, within all the various real world limitations that exist.

There's some really, really nice stuff to look forward to there. Can't wait to see it.

This news buoys my hopes that the BG/BG2:EE venture will succeed, enabling creation of BG3.
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    Oh, wow I though adventure Y was the pit, you mean there's MORE! Man... I gotta sit down!
    paulsifer42oldsch00lLREC
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Oh, wow I though adventure Y was the pit, you mean there's MORE! Man... I gotta sit down!

And breath... :-)

lordkim
  • SubluxSublux Member Posts: 1
    You could at least give some credit to the modmakers that you're blatantly ripping off. Basically all the stuff being portrayed as "new" has been done many years ago. Congrats on the new characters, I'll bet you even created them with the tutorial on how to do that that you can find in the game's install files from BG1... I mean, you have pretty clearly stated on the forums so far that you're entirely unable to make any new animations, and use the excuse that they've been "lost"... but they haven't. They're right there on the millions of CDs that still exist around the world, and anyone with a bit of unpacking experience could get them for you. Though i get the impression it would be too much work and this is just too easy money.

HD - already done, bugs? long gone! new classes? imported from BG2... i bet we still get the game-breaking experience from writing spells in BG2 that will over level your toon before you even notice.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    mch202 said:

@AndreaColombo - You might want to add new PC portraits and voice sets :)

Please take this in mind! That would help with character customization. :D
    taletotellJariahxSynn
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    edited July 2012
    @Sublux Just because the end animations are there doesn't mean the sources are there. While there are a set of already done animations, that doesn't mean they can use them to make new animations.

At best it would be like trying to decompile a normal program, you get what it does but its still very close to machine code making it almost impossible to read. At worst? You'd have a set of sprites. Bg (most likely) used 3d models to create the sprites, but there's only sprites on the disk's, no 3d models that can be animated.
  • KyonKyon Member Posts: 128
    edited July 2012
    The DRM will be a minimal system that does a quick check to start the download. what is the meaning of this ?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Kyon - Either @TrentOster or @PhillipDaigle can probably explain this much better. My interpretation of the sentence is that upon purchasing the game, you basically acquire the right to download and play it. The DRM will check that you have actually acquired that right legitimately before allowing you to start your download.
    I asking this because I have internet connection only in my workplace . I will buy it there and download after I will copy my disk and install my gaming rig in the home . This is possible ? İf possible I will buy now .
    edited July 2012
    It is my understanding that BG:EE will come in two versions: one with the Beamdog client, and one without. In your case, you should purchase the one without the Beamdog client (the Beamdog client automatically installs any game it downloads, so porting the hard disk to another computer probably wouldn't work). However, I would wait for one of the devs to confirm or deny this.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited July 2012
    Can we see a strengths vs. weaknesses write-up for the Blackguard?
    Oh ok . If you ask the devs and answer again I will be very happy . I am waiting next answer for buying .
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    @AndreaColombo do we have any idea if there are a lot more things in the plans? Not guaranteed, just in the plans.

Also, when do you think we should expect new info? About next month same time?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Mornmagor

Me and AndreaColombo aren't a part of the development team. We're really not privy to that kind of info.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2012
    I know, i just thought you might have heard something more than me.

All's cool though.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @Mornmagor, best way to actually follow if there are news is on twitter. Or this thread :

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/151/decoding-twitters/p1
    Mornmagor
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    @Majoca He's clearly trolling. And by trolling I mean writing intentionally stupid stuff to rile people up (which is lame), not expressing honestly held but offensive opinion (which I don't mind).
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Nimz

I don't think he's going to post here again, but lets try to avoid blatant insults.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Have they upgraded the sound codex to 5.1 at least?
    edited July 2012
    It seems this is not easy solution for me . I pre-ordered it but will not play in this situation .
    salomonkane
  • XezmeraudeXezmeraude Member Posts: 91
    From what Camdawg told me in one of my posts. There will be no need to even have fixpack installed at all. But Its being looked into what parts might have not been put into EE that may need to be made into a new fixpack. Some of the tweak mods will still be used too. The only mods that an be used are adding ontent and NPCs. I doubt Overhaul put alternatives into the game so we can have a good path to follow as well as an assasin kits point of view of things. Those are like the only mods that will still breathe life when EE comes out. Ask Camdawg about this for any information about what may still hang around. he helped me alot for a modder :)
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2012
    @TrentOster I'm not in Kyon's position of limited internet access, however I am interested in the premise of his question and your answer for different reasons.

As I understand it, the hard copy edition of the game is still up in the air and may or may not see production. I have limited experience manipulating computer programs, but Kyon's solution of putting all of the game data on a disk seems to be a straightforward way to make a ghetto-rigged physical copy of the game. However, unlike a true stand-alone physical copy, any future installation of the game would require an initial ping from the Beamdog site for authorization. This ties in succinctly with a question I had regarding one of the FAQ's on Beamdog's site, specifically (from the Beamdog site) "What happens to my games if you shut down? We are committed to thinking of our customers first, so if for some unforseen reason we are forced (yes, I say forced as we'll fight tooth and nail to keep the service going) to shut our service down we will remove all date based expiry in the system." I wrote Beamdog regarding this question because I am unsure what this answer really means. Does deleting "all date based expiry" mean that games will no longer be playable, that a future installation of BGEE from my rigged physical copy will not be able to ping the Beamdog site for authorization? I am unfamiliar with this verbiage. I have not heard back from Beamdog regarding this inquiry, but I'd be interested to hear from someone a little more savvy with this type of arrangement. I worry about the same issue w/ all of my Steam games, but Steam is such a giant right now that it seems less pressing. Thanks for any info!
    KyonMajocaMechanic
    Updated the OP to include sample clips from Sam Hulick's work for The Black Pits.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    It seems this is not easy solution for me . I pre-ordered it but will not play in this situation .
    Do you have cellphone coverage where you live? A 3G modem USB stick is cheap and easy to procure anywhere in the world these days.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    What I would like to see is rearranging things a little on the world map. I know where everything is. I could use a few surprises. I know it is too late but if anyone wants to make a cool new mod. Granted I know the cloud peaks have to be south. The ocean is west, and the desert is east, but is there nothing that could be done within those parameters?