Skip to content

Mod Distribution

CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
edited July 2012 in General Modding
Just curious how mods will be distributed via the client if that is how the game will be shipped.

1. Will mods created specifically for the Enhanced Editions have a home at Beamdog or at the Nexus?
2. Will Overhaul only be able to distribute mods that they own the rights to distribute and will all other mods be simply links to existing repositories?
3. Is there a plan (hopefully from Beamdog themselves) for a mod manager a la Nexus Mod Manager or Steam Workshop to be included? It'd make life a ton easier to have a list of mods and a way to easily manage them.
4. Will a modding Wiki be created to help centralize modding tutorials and information?

Maybe others have more questions, but I think this gets the ball rolling. Very curious how all this is planned to work. List updated with new questions.
Post edited by Cuv on

Comments

• DumuziiDumuzii Member Posts: 12
    There are a few infinity engine modding sites that have been up for a long time, and I'm pretty sure it's been said old mods are compatible with EE

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/
  • SmeuuhSmeuuh Member Posts: 34
    It'd be good to have some sort of centralized distribution of mods. This could just be links on the official site to mods that are known to work without too many bugs on BGEE, and are a worthwhile addition to any game. Ideally, the mods would be flagged as appropriate for a first playthrough (I'm thinking new quests, items, NPCs, romances, etc. that are on the same level of quality as the stock ones), or for more confirmed players (more controversial changes to the engine, "for fun" mods, etc.). Ideally, there should be a spoiler-free version of this list for first-time players.

The point is that new players (and old players that don't have the patience) shouldn't have to sift through decades-old webpages and deal with incompatibilities / installation order issues. As of now mod installation is quite involved, is confusing for newcomers, and should be simplified by BGEE (ideally, it should at least make tutu and the fixpacks obsolete, and remove installation order issues)

The wiki mentioned by OP is an awesome idea.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    and remove installation order issues
    That is unfortunately not possible. You have installation-order issues in any modding system where mods have the potential to interact with each other.
    Isn't that because mods directly patch the source files? If I've seen correctly there's plans to allow for more than one override folder, shouldn't that fix some stuff?

In any case, it'd be very nice to have a guide ready for the release, so that people can jump in the game with some first-playthrough-friendly mods from day 1. Isn't it possible to give modders early access to a beta or something?
    edited July 2012
    Isn't that because mods directly patch the source files? If I've seen correctly there's plans to allow for more than one override folder, shouldn't that fix some stuff?
    You still have interactions between mods. In fact, without the patching of source files, we would have even stronger interactions and much worse compatibility problems than we do today. The only sort of systems that avoid interactions are the ones like they had in NWN, where you can only play one mod at a time.
    Isn't it possible to give modders early access to a beta or something?
    Before individual modders can do much, the modding tools need to be updated to be able to handle BGEE as a platform. It is entirely possible Overhaul can not release the necessary info until they have the approval of their evil overlords, which, I would guess, won't happen until the game is actually released.
    Ah, right. Thanks for the explanation! What a mess, though. It's a shame the engine does not expose its variables with some kind of script language.
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    Similarly, is there a plan (hopefully from Beamdog themselves) for a mod manager a la Nexus Mod Manager or Steam Workshop to be included? It'd make life a ton easier to have a list of mods and a way to easily manage them.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    Rest assured there's plenty of tools out there to create a new modding community which ties SHS, G3 and PPG together.

What we need is a place specifically for the conversion of old mods for BG:EE, a place where old stuff can be revised and new stuff can be made.

A wikia sounds like a good start and while I can't code, I'd be happy to test mods and provide as much feedback as possible. I'll be interested in seeing the results. I think Beamdog will be active in their help too so there's a big chunk of help there.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Delvon said:

Similarly, is there a plan (hopefully from Beamdog themselves) for a mod manager a la Nexus Mod Manager or Steam Workshop to be included? It'd make life a ton easier to have a list of mods and a way to easily manage them.

@Delvon That is a good question, will add it to the OP

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Delvon said:

This really needs to happen if Beamdog wants to open up modding to the less dedicated community. With so many mods on my BG file, I tend to forget what is installed and simply reinstall whenever two mods cause crashes. This would help tremendously. Please include this support!
  • Dark0neDark0ne Member Posts: 1
    I'd happily talk with BeamDog about getting BG:EE incorporated in to the Nexus Mod Manager, complete with a BG Nexus site to complement the NWN Nexus site we already have.

If it's as simple as having an over-ride folder or replacing simple files/folders then we can work that out ourselves. It it's a bit more complex/in-depth then I'll happily have a chat with anyone who might be interested in working with us to get the functionality in to NMM.

All our code is open source, so anyone can really do it.
    Delvon said:

It'd make life a ton easier to have a list of mods and a way to easily manage them.

I'll just point out you do have a list of installed mods – weidu.log – and a way to manage them: WeiDU.

• DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    Wisp said:

Delvon said:

It'd make life a ton easier to have a list of mods and a way to easily manage them.

I'll just point out you do have a list of installed mods – weidu.log – and a way to manage them: WeiDU
    Now I just feel silly for not knowing this. But a centralized place for mod distribution, and something akin to nexus mod manager, could do a favour to some more basic users.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    As it has been said before for times, simply turning override folders on/off will not work. BG modding relies heavily on crosspatching, so unless one is comfortable with the override growing exponentially after every mod installed they'll have to keep to old good WeiDU installers.