Skip to content

NPC wishlish for BG2:EE?

Does anyone have a particular new NPC type they'd like to see in BG2:EE? Personally I would love a new thief-type NPC. I still love the game to bits but I always found it severely lacking in that department. Imoen is good enough to take care of most traps and locks, but can take a long time to get back, Nalia's thief skills leave to be desired, Jan annoys the bejeebas out of me, and you can't keep Yoshimo. Because of this I often rolled as a thief or dual-classed as a fighter/thief upon hitting level 9, for maximum HP efficiency.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think they've said they'll be putting a female evil-alignment thief into BG2, since there are no evil thieves at all. Nobody knows whether she'll have one of the existing kits or a new one, however. Regardless, I am looking forward to her, since it means Evil players have more options beyond Edwin, Viconia and (ugh) Korgan.

As for other NPCs, I'm not really sure what I'd like to see. A Barbarian would be interesting, since we haven't had one of them yet. I'd like to see some of the unexplored classes and kits represented.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    What BG2:EE needs the most is an romanceable, neutral evil bearded dwarven beauty. Preferable as an bounty hunter. An romanceable, chaotic neutral bearded gnome barbarian could be another possibility.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    An evil thief type, preferably an Assassin, as there are no evil-aligned thieves in BG2.

Other than that, a bard that doesn't suck would be nice, perhaps a chaotic neutral Skald? Actually that would be nice for BGEE too...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm very happy about the announcement of an evil thief. Each on it's own would be awesome - ANY thief and ANY evil NPC - but combined it's perfect.

Class-wise, thief is the one thing really missing, therefore my wishlist would mostly be "any decent class that isn't already in the game" (this can also mean kits, since some are very different from their base class) - half orc, gnome or dwarf, best female, simply because there aren't any yet. Those races have exactly one NPC representing them; all are male. So it would be nice for diversity to have them. Neutral-aligned would work best, so all types of parties can use them. Bonus points if they aren't stereotypes like "dwarf tank" or "half orc damage dealer", but a bit out of the box. If that means technically illegal classes, I'm ok with that. It works for Dorn, so others can do that, too.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    On the most basic level, I think the guiding principle behind the addition of new NPCs should be "What hasn't been done yet?" Let's not forget that BG:EE's new additions work along these parameters: there were no Wild Mage or Monk NPCs before Neera and Rasaad, and there were no half-orc party members before Dorn.

I believe that's what led Nathan Willis to bring up the possibility of an evil female thief - not only does BG2 lack single-class thieves (apart from Yoshimo, I suppose), there's only one evil-aligned woman in the entire game (Viconia).

By the same token, Barbarian is now the only base class that isn't represented by at least one NPC in the series (Baeloth is a Sorcerer, so that's covered). And while we've had gnomes, tieflings, avariel, halflings and drow, @Kamigoroshi is absolutely correct in pointing out that we've never had female dwarves.

The solution seems simple, then: a female dwarf barbarian. Those are literally the last two gaps that haven't been filled yet, and one character could accommodate both.
    It would be two birds with one stone, but I'd still rather see a female dwarf in a non-fighter class. All dwarves in the series are fighters. A female fighter class dwarf would essentially be Kagain with a girdle to change his gender, which isn't very exciting, personality-wise.
    Isn't Edwin the only pure class mage? How about a female dwarf mage or druid? I can see a lot awesomeness in such an illegal class, along the lines of rune mage, which could be reflected with an ability like Dynaheir's slow poison in addition to being a mage.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FeatherFeather Member Posts: 20
    I want Vampires, i want Yuan-Ti, I want, i want...

I know I'm being childish here, but basicly I like to have unique NPCs that I couldn't create as PCs.
    I also really like that they announced an evil-thief NPC.
    As I class I'm torn between Assassin and Shadowdancer. If she's a human I'd like her to be dual-classable (just to add more choice), if not I'd like her to be yuan-ti *cough*
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

It would be two birds with one stone, but I'd still rather see a female dwarf in a non-fighter class. All dwarves in the series are fighters. A female fighter class dwarf would essentially be Kagain with a girdle to change his gender, which isn't very exciting, personality-wise.

Depends on the personality, though, doesn't it? I'd find a female version of Korgan hilarious: just picture her making lewd comments towards Dorn and Minsc, starting bar fights at the Copper Coronet, insulting Anomen... :)

In all seriousness, I see what you mean regarding the dwarf/fighter correlation, but there's a problem with the opposite scenario as well: none of the women in BG2 are designed for melee combat. Viconia, Nalia, Imoen, Aerie and Neera are all ranged/magical NPCs, and even Mazzy - supposedly a Fighter - is better with a bow than she is with a sword. I'd be okay with another dwarven fighter if it meant a woman could grab a two-handed sword and charge Irenicus head-on...

Isn't Edwin the only pure class mage?

Well, no - now we have Neera as well. :) The thing about mages in BG2, though, is that you never actually get to decide when and now Imoen and Nalia dual-class. They have thief skills, sure, but from the moment they join your party they are, for all intents and purposes, pure mages...
    Feather said:

I want Vampires, i want Yuan-Ti, I want, i want...

I know I'm being childish here, but basicly I like to have unique NPCs that I couldn't create as PCs.
    I also really like that they announced an evil-thief NPC.
    As I class I'm torn between Assassin and Shadowdancer. If she's a human I'd like her to be dual-classable (just to add more choice), if not I'd like her to be yuan-ti *cough*

Aren't Yuan-ti snake people? Or are there human-looking ones that could fit with the various body shapes? If so, that could be awesome.

Have you tried the Valen mod? Chaotic evil Vampire Fighter/Thief. I've heard she's pretty cool, but I've never used her myself.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Aren't Yuan-ti snake people? Or are there human-looking ones that could fit with the various body shapes? If so, that could be awesome.

To quote some lines of the AD&D Monstrous Manual entry of the yuan-ti:

"Ages ago, a cult of humans worshiping a reptilian elder god recieved a "blessing" from their dark lord: their offspring all were part snake. Since then the breeding line has been polluted and mixed, producing purebloods (those least favored), half-breeds, and abominations (the truly blessed). A pureblood can pass for human 80% of the time. It has only slight differences from true humans, such as slit eyes, or a forked tongue, maybe even small fangs. Halfbreeds are part human and part snake."

Personally, I'd rather like to see yuan-ti half-breed NPC's in both of the Icewind Dale:EE's. Of course, I'd also like to see orc (full blooded ones, not half-orcs) NPC's as well.
    Hmmm. I can totally see a Yuan-ti pureblood or half-blood in BG, then. I assumed they all looked like 'abominations'. I mean they could use the elf model for a more slim, serpentine shape, give it green-tinged skin, maybe and a cool portrait with some pythonesque eyes and a few choice scales. I kinda like the idea.
  • AgricolaAgricola Member Posts: 21
    My cleric illusionist is rooting for an archer kit NPC.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I wouldn't mind a good male mage. BG2 really misses a good mage, you either have to put up with dual classes or have Edwin in your part (which a lot of people won't do if they're not evil themselves). Plus it would be a good opportunity to have another male romance option other than Anomen.

Though I'm unsure if he should be elf or human. It might be better to go human and not make it seem like you should only romance elves (for the most part) in BG2.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I would like to see a romancable evil male NPC ( Dorn ??)
    and romancable NPC of one of the " shorty races" ( gnome , dwarf , halfing )
    that can only be romanced by the PC who is a ( gnome or dwarf or halfing )
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    A female Duergar Assassin or Fighter/Thief (evil or neutral) would be the most awesome NPC IMO. I would also appreciate/not mind...
    - Some form of Gnome Fighter or Berserker or Fighter/Illusionist
    - An Elven Cleric (maybe Male?) that isn't like Kivan or Coran (I liked them but I want a new character)
    - A non Tiefling bard, preferable jester or skald and a female
    - A better Druid
    - An evil or neutral fighter/cleric dwarf (possibly Yeslick's long lost nemesis?)
    - a drow Ranger who fights with scimitars.....just kidding!!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    A Halfling Barbarian would be badass.

I also would very much like a duergar and/or svirfneblin. Seriously, a Deep Gnome would be absolutely amazing. Probably a Fighter/Illusionist or somethin'.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Like many have said an evil thief would be nice, But more than anything another half orc or two especially a female half orc as their so frequently ignored in the fantasy genre and need some more representation.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    I'd like a swashbuckler. Any race/alignment/gender really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    There are two directions to look at this from: What mechanical types (i.e. classes, kits, etc.) would you like to see, and what character/personality types would you like to see? For the former, I agree on the need for an evil thief-type. My inclination would be a dual- (but leveling up as Thief) or multi- class, since all of the existing evil NPCs in BG2 are single-class types. I'd also like to see an NPC or two who specializes in ranged combat, since the BG2 NPCs all fall into the "Ranged because I don't want them near the front line" or "Natural front-liner" camps, with the exception of Mazzy. Maybe have an Archer and make the new Thief a dual-classed Fighter -> Thief or something.

New personality/character archetypes I'd like to see are a little harder to pin down. I think a more urban-friendly Druid would be an interesting inclusion. Maybe a Chaotic Neutral type with some revolutionary leanings/ideas, to contrast with Nalia's naive idealism. I like the idea of a swashbuckler; someone with Haerry's sense of poetry, drama, and flash without the fatalistic philosophy.
    Quartz said:

A Halfling Barbarian would be badass.

I also would very much like a duergar and/or svirfneblin. Seriously, a Deep Gnome would be absolutely amazing. Probably a Fighter/Illusionist or somethin'.

Oh god, a character with the potential to be MORE depressing than Xan??

Duergar are my favorite, always have been and most likely always will be. Pathfinder (AKA 3.75 edition) makes them wonderfully playable.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I actually kind of wonder if the limited choices in the thief department are specifically to induce a certain companion on you. I mean there aren't "No" thieves. but certainly one stands out. Yep, it's Jan. :P

I actually kind of wonder if the limited choices in the thief department are specifically to induce a certain companion on you. I mean there aren't "No" thieves. but certainly one stands out. Yep, it's Jan. :P

Mr Jansen is rather hilarious. A relief from Quayle for sure
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    toanwrath said:

Mr Jansen is rather hilarious. A relief from Quayle for sure
    Funny. I think Quayle's far more amusing than Jan Jansen but that's just me.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    I've mentioned this before, and I think I'm the only one with this opinion, but I really think Husam (drunk/undercover thief in BG1) should've made a comeback as a joinable NPC in BG2. He has an obvious SoA connection story-wise, and he'd also fulfill a need for a single-class, non-death-prone thief.

Personality-wise, we don't have much to go on from the first game, but it seems like he could potentially bring a bit of cold professionalism to the party, which could be a welcome counterweight to the self-righteousness/self-pity/sociopathy most of the other NPCs offer.
    Husam would be kind of epic, I have to admit.
    @shawne - Sure it depends on the personality, and the way you put it, female Korgan does sound awesome. But it would still fit the stereotype "dwarf = tank" and I love it when NPCs break out of their stereotypical roles. For example, I was delighted to see an arrogant, snobbish half-orc mage in Neverwinter Nights (first expansion, I think).
    You're also right that a Shar-Teel amazon achetype is suspiciously absent in BG2. I would prefer her to not be a dwarf though. I'd be fine with an elf or gnome or something in a berzerker/fighter/barbarian role, and have the classic melee races dwarf and half-orc do the casting or ranged stuff for a change. Maybe a dwarf specialized in throwing daggers, or a half-orc druid who sees her mixed heritage as part of a balance.

Mages, oops, forgot Neera. And as dedicated evil player, I never used any of the others long enough to see how good they are as casters. I just did their quests and ditched them. So I think I would settle for the female half-orc druid, if I had to pick exactly one NPC for the wishlist. BG2 could really use a druid with personality, too.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I already had what I wished for. A sorcerer! And a drow for that matter? Epic!
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm not sure where those saying a "female evil thief" has been declared are basing that on. As far as I know the only thing that's been announced - and in the most unofficial way - is that they'd be looking into adding another female to even out the number of males. That it would be a thief or evil seemed to have just been decided by the forumites without any basis beyond the lack of them in BG2. It's like suddenly this place just morphed from "They should add an evil thief" to "they're adding an evil thief!", but I never saw any quote or anything to confirm that.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @scriver

We're told that there's not nearly enough evil thieves in Baldur's Gate 2. We'll try and address that in BG2:EE ;) -OverhaulNathan

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/