Skip to content

Where and when can I download an update/patch?

where to download? thanks

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    If you're using the stand alone launcher, which you download at beamdog.com on the BG page (after logging in), you will be prompted to "Apply Update" when a patch is released. The current version is 1.0.2011, but 2012 is right around the corner.
  • GalathonGalathon Member Posts: 3
    I am sorry, but I have this problem as well. The beamdog client won't download the most recent update for me automatically and I haven't been able to find an update button on my account site. Isn't there any way to force an update?

I should note that I have installed BG:EE with the beamdog launcher and as standalone. Neither of these two versions will update. And the reason I don't think the problem is on my end, is that I was able to download the patch once, then I accidentally moved the contents of the override folder, but put it back later when I realized what I had done; but alas, it was too late as my game wouldn't recognize the files again. I then elected to uninstall both BG:EE and the beamdog launcher, followed by a reinstall which, for whatever reason, didn't help my situation. Come to think of it, that actually makes it sound like the problem could be on my end, but I still have to ask; is there any particular reason that we can't download the patches as standalone installers? or just as file packages?

Thank you in advance, and please excuse my ignorance if there is something that I have missed completely.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    In the bottom-right corner of the launcher window, there's a diamond-shaped button. Clicking that button "repairs" your installation to match the most recent patch available.
    There is no such button in my launcher. It would appear that my launcher is not the newest version... perhaps... Anyhow, my issue has resolved itself when I tried running the launcher as an administrator... that immediately made my game update itself.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    @Galathon If you got the game to update itself, the launcher will probably self update as well. If it doesn't you can download the latest verion from Beamdog and install it. You won't need to redownload the entire game if you do that.
  • wednesdaywednesday Member Posts: 61
    for me, repairing install has the same problem as attempting to download the latest patch: the program starts "scanning files" and then stalls out after a few seconds.
    Or rather it says "checking files" sorry
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Try deleting 766.beam and 766.status and starting the launcher again.
    tried that. still have the same problem.
    Do you have P2P enabled? Some users have reported that disabling it fixes the problem.
    Tried that too, there's no difference either way.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Did you try to run chkdsk in your HD? A filesystem corruption may prevent the file checking from completing.
    OK I've checked the disk, but there are no errors.
    Honestly I don't understand why there's no link to download patches manually. Surely this would be a relatively simple thing to provide?
    Ideally, the launcher should install the patches correctly, which would mean there's no need for the patches to be installed manually. Send an email to support@beamdog.com and I'll take a more analytical approach to the issue.
    Thanks for answering my email, I hope we find a way to sort it out.
    Alright, the status of my game is now this: Most of the features brought along by the update now works correctly. But, from time to time, the game's graphics bugs out. Now, I do have a laptop with integrated Intel graphics, but the first time the update worked, my graphics had become normal. Now it just sorta, "picks its moments" which is bloody annoying, but not really something that I'm tech savvy enough to go into fixing. Just to make sure that you know: When the graphics aren't working, what happens is that there's no visible fog of war, the characters have no rings around them, neither in the actual game or in the portrait panel and when inside a building, the frame of the indoor area isn't black - it copies frames from inside the indoor area which makes it hard to navigate in some areas - not being angry or anything; I knew that there might be some complications when I bought the game - just noting what I experience in my game. Thank you guys^^
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    @Galathon

Intel graphics are not supported, which I'm sure you know. However, people are known to get them working by updating to the latest Intel driver.

Open up Internet Explorer (as it's compatible with this site without installing Java) and go to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

It will prompt you to install an Active-x control. You may have to restart the browser. The site will scan and show you what driver to download for the graphics.

Also reduce your game to OpenGL 1.0

Close out of BG:EE. Go to your My Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ and open baldur.ini with Wordpad (not notepad).

Under program options, add this line:

'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',